Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Air Fryer - 800g v 1200g

Options
  • 25-02-2013 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

There is a significant price difference between the 800g and 1200g capacity Philips Air Fryer. Would the 800g capcaity version be sufficient for a family of 4/5 or would the 1200g version be necessary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I have the 800g one and don't find it large enough for 4/5 people. It can do enough for three people at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Stato

Thanks for the reply miaireland, I was thinking the 1200g capacity version would be more suitable for a bigger family but they don't seem to be available anywhere except argos and they are constantly out of stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Hi Miaireland

What do you think of the fryer? Is it worth buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Try the PowerCity website. I think that's where we got ours.

It's a fantastic piece of kit; we have it out two or three times a week. It does fantastic chips.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Does it stink up the kitchen like a normal deep fryer? I threw mine out a few years ago and really miss home made chips.

• Advertisement

There is a 'chippy' smell when it's cooking alright, but you don't get the lingering smell of grease because you don't use any.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

sandy_c wrote: »
    Hi Miaireland

What do you think of the fryer? Is it worth buying?

Absolutely. I have turned into some kind of Air Fryer evangelist since I bought one. I use it probably every day - meat, veg, bread rolls and even boneless buffalo wings.
    Does it stink up the kitchen like a normal deep fryer? I threw mine out a few years ago and really miss home made chips.

I have a Phillips air fryer and I don't notice any smells from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

This interests me as I am about to chuck our smelly cheap DFF. I bought it a few yrs ago in lidl so it owes me nothing. Do you use frozen chips , fried or oven in this air fryer so must you use "real potatoes " ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

This interests me as I am about to chuck our smelly cheap DFF. I bought it a few yrs ago in lidl so it owes me nothing.when you use frozen chips , are they fried or oven ? Would they taste nicer than oven chips ? I am not a fan of oven chips generally , I think they look like chips but taste like nothing !

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Bought air fryer in Kildare village and its brilliant. I only use it for chips. I would be interested in what else everyone else cooks.

I think you should try one first they are not everyone's cup of tea. Yes they make nice chips but NOTHING like real chips. Agree a lot healthier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

maryk123 wrote: »
    Bought air fryer in Kildare village and its brilliant. I only use it for chips. I would be interested in what else everyone else cooks.

I think you should try one first they are not everyone's cup of tea. Yes they make nice chips but NOTHING like real chips. Agree a lot healthier.

Bought one yesterday and am very pleased with it. Did some frozen and real chips. Didn't add anything to the frozen chips and they were lovely. Added a drizzle of oil into the real chips and they came out lovely too.

Last night I cooked some wings and they were gorgeous as well. We didn't have a regular deep fat fryer instead we used the oven so this is a big improvement over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

maryk123 wrote: »
    I think you should try one first they are not everyone's cup of tea.

Would love to try it out first before investing into one, but I don't know anybody who owns it. Does anyone know where there would be a free demo?

I chucked my DFF a few years back after using them for only a few months. Lingering smell of grease made me sick sick sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

The last time I was in Kildare village they were cooking the chips in the fryer for people to taste.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I have only used mine for chips. I have used both thick cut and thin cut frozen chips. I prefer the thin cut to thick.

I haven't really noticed a smell but my fryer is a uility room near a outside door. It is easy to clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

How isan air frier different from a normal fan oven

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

rasper wrote: »
    How isan air frier different from a normal fan oven
    I think the idea is that it gets up to higher temperatures faster. Its also a much smaller space to heat, so far more economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Phoebas wrote: »
    I think the idea is that it gets up to higher temperatures faster. Its also a much smaller space to heat, so far more economical.

So how does the taste differ

I can't say that I taste much difference, except that the chips aren't a oily as with a traditional fryer.

Bought one yesterday and am very pleased with it. Did some frozen and real chips. Didn't add anything to the frozen chips and they were lovely. Added a drizzle of oil into the real chips and they came out lovely too.

Last night I cooked some wings and they were gorgeous as well. We didn't have a regular deep fat fryer instead we used the oven so this is a big improvement over that.

Did you used fresh chicken wings or prepared wings?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Not philips, but saw this large one in bargain alerts.
    vibe666 wrote: »
    argos have the actifry plus (1.2kg, instead of the 1kg, but smaller than the family one which is 1.5kg) for €151.99 at the moment, although there was a BA for it a while ago at about €125.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9066650/Trail/searchtext%3EACTIFRY.htm

most other irish retailers have the 1kg one for more than that at the moment (€160+), so it's still a good deal if you want one right now.

if i'd had the patience to wait i'd have gone for the 1.2kg one as that little bit of extra room would have been handy from time to time i'd say.

• Advertisement

Miaireland wrote: »
    Did you used fresh chicken wings or prepared wings?

Fresh. Cooked them on a low heat for about 10 minutes then blasted them on high heat until the skin was crispy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

rasper wrote: »
    So how does the taste differ

Not sure. I've never done oven chips in my airfryer and I've never done chipped potatoes in my oven.
    However, I hate oven chips and I quite like the chips that come out of he airfryer.

Fresh. Cooked them on a low heat for about 10 minutes then blasted them on high heat until the skin was crispy.

That's the way to do them.

I put some straight in at 200 last night and they just weren't as good as putting them in low, and then high for the last few minutes.

Does this mean there is need for an air fryer recipe thread? :pac:

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    That's the way to do them.

I put some straight in at 200 last night and they just weren't as good as putting them in low, and then high for the last few minutes.

Good idea.

We have ours about two weeks now and we do everything in it. Last night I made a toasted cheese sambo in it too. I have also done a fry, chicken breasts, Naan bread, garlic bread, chips, roast potatoes, re-heated take-away pizza (yum!).

We have hardly used our oven since we bought it. Brilliant purchase, couldn't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,486 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bought mine yesterday and I've used it nearly 10 times already :D

It's only the 0.8kg one, I knew it was going to be small, but the bigger one is very expensive. 0.8kg of chips is good for 3 adult portions (2 for big eaters)

The smaller one is on special in Argos at the moment for €115

Brilliant piece of equipment!
    Tom Dunne wrote: »

Yes it does! I made the chorizo empanadas from the recipe book that come with it, and they were nice :cool:

Cant find the 1200g version anywhere, anyway its very expensive at approx €300, the 800g version Philips Air Fryer on offer in Argos at €115 is a real bargain. Could have two of the 800g versions for less than one 1200g version!!

unkel wrote: »
    Bought mine yesterday and I've used it nearly 10 times already :D

It's only the 0.8kg one, I knew it was going to be small, but the bigger one is very expensive. 0.8kg of chips is good for 3 adult portions (2 for big eaters)

The smaller one is on special in Argos at the moment for €115

Brilliant piece of equipment!

Yes it does! I made the chorizo empanadas from the recipe book that come with it, and they were nice :cool:

Paid nearly double that only a couple of weeks ago :mad:

Just a question about the air fryer. If you grill most sausages on a conventional electric grill a certain amount of "grease" is released from them! Where does this grease go if cooked in the air fryer? Is it retained in the sausages?

Stato wrote: »
    Just a question about the air fryer. If you grill most sausages on a conventional electric grill a certain amount of "grease" is released from them! Where does this grease go if cooked in the air fryer? Is it retained in the sausages?

It drips down, out of the basket, onto the base of the air fryer. It always needs a clean afterwards.

Though I have noticed there is never as much grease as with grilling. So the sausages taste nicer, less "dried out".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

A question on these air fryers:
    With a big load of chips (for 4 or 5 people) do they cook evenly?

I read somewhere that the Tefal one has a stirring arm inside which can make a mess, breaking up the content of a big load. Is this the case?

What about the Philips one? Does that have a stirring arm?

Advertisement