Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoping to run Cork City Marathon 2013

Options
  • 25-02-2013 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

About me, female age 41, 3 children aged 10 to 5. Have been a recreational runner for years, I've also done a few triathlons over the past two years, so I would say I'm relatively fit. I have always wondered if I could manage a marathon, so have decided to give a go this year. I did the Clonakilty half in December and came in with a time of 1:52 which I was pleased about. I started the Hal Higdon Novice 1 program 4 weeks ago and am finding it OK so far, but dreading the LSR's. Maybe if I keep a log of the training it might keep me going, it seems to have worked for a lot of other people on Boards!

Monday : 10.4K - 54 minutes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Karenmtob wrote: »
    Maybe if I keep a log of the training it might keep me going, it seems to have worked for a lot of other people on Boards!

Hi Karenmtob, great time on Clonakilty, I chickened out of it cause I hate hills!:mad:
    I started a log for the CCM on here, you're more than welcome to put your
    miles in, if you want. I found it a great help myself.
    All the best,

Mr.W.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Karenmtob

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Maybe if I keep a log of the training it might keep me going, it seems to have worked for a lot of other people on Boards!

Hi Karenmtob, great time on Clonakilty, I chickened out of it cause I hate hills!:mad:
    I started a log for the CCM on here, you're more than welcome to put your
    miles in, if you want. I found it a great help myself.
    All the best,

Mr.W.
    Cheers will do

6 km 29mins 42 secs.

Back to work today, Wednesdays don't suit for a run, so enforced rest day. Already obsessing over the long run, 10 miles due this weekend

5 miles = 41 minutes - felt good, enjoyable run

• Advertisement

Didn't manage to get out today for swim or cross training, so plan to do LSR tomorrow 10 miles and then cross training on Sunday maybe a brisk walk while one middle daughter is at football training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Best of luck with the training. We're a good auld group once you get to know us!!

One thing I've noticed on Boards is that there's a lot of lurkers reading your logs, mightn't always get the responses of the interaction that you think, as its not Facebook!
    Make the log more for you, as a reminder of how certain runs went and how you felt etc.
    You seem very driven so there's no doubt you'll manage a marathon!

Best of luck with the training. We're a good auld group once you get to know us!!

One thing I've noticed on Boards is that there's a lot of lurkers reading your logs, mightn't always get the responses of the interaction that you think, as its not Facebook!
    Make the log more for you, as a reminder of how certain runs went and how you felt etc.
    You seem very driven so there's no doubt you'll manage a marathon!

Thanks for the tip, all advice greatly.appreciated.
    Set off this morning for my lsr 10 miles., picked a route that hadn't run before, well part of it, one very steep climb, so walked for 1 min, pace was approc 5.35 km, felt fine up to mile 8, legs started to tire then, walked for 1 min at this point and then finished the run maintaining same pace.
    16km / 10 miles covered in 90 mins
    Overall happy with run and time
    tired legs after but they are fine now.
    So my plan for tomorrow is a 40min walk, that will cover my cross training session. Week 5 of plan complete!

50 min brisk walk completed, sometimes I'd prefer to run than walk, but I held myself back today, don't want to get over anxious, it's early days yet in the plan!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Hi Karenmtob, do you have a time in mind for cork? It looks like you are running your long runs at around 9min/mile which, if run at the right pace, would have you aiming for in or around 3.30? Is that correct? The lsr should be run around a minute slower than your goal pace. If you are not sure of your goal pace google "mcmillan calculator" and use your clon half time to give you an idea of where you are. Best of luck with the training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck with the training for Cork. It's a nice marathon to pick for your first.
    For your long runs, could you run with a group where you live? I find the long runs much more enjoyable in company.
    Also judging by your times, you will be more than well able for a marathon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Best of luck with the log and your training Karen, I’m planning to run Cork as well, it will be my second marathon after Dublin last year. As Dev said, you’re LSR might be a little fast (depending on what your planned time for Cork is). Your LSR should be run at about 10% slower than your planned marathon pace, so unless you’re planning to run Cork in 3:30 or faster, then 9 min miles is a bit fast. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but it really does work to run your LSR slow. It teaches your body to burn fat as well as glycogen and long term will help prevent you ‘hitting the wall’ during the marathon when your glycogen runs out. Short term, it will make your LSR’s so much more enjoyable as you won’t be as wrecked during/after them.

I used to dread my LSR’s, but now I just take them slow and also try not to think too much about them before hand! I always find the thought of them worse than the actual reality!

ncmc wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log and your training Karen, I’m planning to run Cork as well, it will be my second marathon after Dublin last year. As Dev said, you’re LSR might be a little fast (depending on what your planned time for Cork is). Your LSR should be run at about 10% slower than your planned marathon pace, so unless you’re planning to run Cork in 3:30 or faster, then 9 min miles is a bit fast. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but it really does work to run your LSR slow. It teaches your body to burn fat as well as glycogen and long term will help prevent you ‘hitting the wall’ during the marathon when your glycogen runs out. Short term, it will make your LSR’s so much more enjoyable as you won’t be as wrecked during/after them.

I used to dread my LSR’s, but now I just take them slow and also try not to think too much about them before hand! I always find the thought of them worse than the actual reality!

Hi NCMC, DEV and JCSMUM, I am taking your advice about the LSR's. I would love to do the marathon in 4 hours, that is the aim for the moment.
    Still on track with Hal Higdon's plan, completed 3 mile recovery run yesterday, on threadmill before work, time was 27mins. Not sure what pace these should be run at either? Any ideas folks?
    Rest day today
    5 miles run with a friend tomorrow, hoping to talk her into the marathon as she has just completed Ballycotton and it would be great to have a training buddy. By the way, the support on Boards is great, really encouraging!!

If you're hoping for about 4 hours then your LSR's should be at a pace if 9:45-10:00 mins. I did the marathon in 3:57 and that's the pace I did my LSR's.

recovery runs should be much slower, the idea is to aid recovery by increasing blood flow to the muscles but without risking further damage by setting too hard a pace. Recovery runs should be 10:30 or slower.

I know it sounds strange to run slower to get faster, but it really does work.

ncmc wrote: »
    If you're hoping for about 4 hours then your LSR's should be at a pace if 9:45-10:00 mins. I did the marathon in 3:57 and that's the pace I did my LSR's.

recovery runs should be much slower, the idea is to aid recovery by increasing blood flow to the muscles but without risking further damage by setting too hard a pace. Recovery runs should be 10:30 or slower.

I know it sounds strange to run slower to get faster, but it really does work.

So just slow down and spend more time running!! It feels strange, but i'm sure i'll probably only manage that pace when the LSR's get longer

That's pretty much it! You'll train your body to burn fat as well as glycogen by running slower, and that means when your glycogen runs out at about mile 20 in the marathon, you'll be able to keep on going! Glycogen is the fuel you store in your muscles from food - on average we can store about 2000 cals worth which is about 20 miles of running.

I'm probably explaining it badly, but if you Google it, you'll find loads of info on it.

Doing the mileage will really improve not only your fitness, but also your strength and as a result, your speed.

Today, is the start of my week off, so I had planned to meet a buddy to run 5 miles. I had to hold myself back a bit and we held the pace at approx 9min miles.

5 miles - 45 minutes

Today, is the start of my week off, so I had planned to meet a buddy to run 5 miles. I had to hold myself back a bit and we held the pace at approx 9min miles.

5 miles - 45 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Best of luck with the marathon Karen, Im in the one day maybe club!

Thursday 7th March - 3 mile run - 28 minutes

Did this on the threadmill as I didn't fancy getting soaked.

Friday 8th March - 7 miles LSR - 64.30 mins

Couldn't fit this in over the weekend, so headed out this morning, battery in my garmin footpod so couldn't measure the distance, so just did and out and back run which I know covers the 7 miles. Went too fast again!!

• Advertisement

Thursday 7th March - 3 mile run - 28 minutes

Did this on the threadmill as I didn't fancy getting soaked.
    Cop out! You're not a proper runner until you get drenched at least 3 times a week :D

By that logic, I must be an elite at this stage :rolleyes:

Saturday 9th March - Cross Training
    Went for a 6K walk (50 mins). Week 6 complete, the work really starts from here on in.

Anybody have experience with Garmin Footpods, I recently changed battery and can't pair it now with watch, so now I've idea of distances or pace I'm running if I change my route?
    If I do have to replace it, not sure to go with footpod again or the Garmin F10, any opinions greatly appreciated.

Sunday 10th March - Rest Day

Monday 11th March - 6K - 31 mins

Tuesday 12th March

6 Mile run - 53 minutes. Ran with a friend it makes all the difference having someone to chat to, she has offered to do the LSR with me this weekend, so no dreading it as much!

Wednesday 13th March

3 miles - 27.30 mins - Did this on the treadmill, probably could have gone a bit faster, but sticking to the plan

Thursday 14th March

Rest day

Friday 15th March

12 miles 2 hours - Had company for this one, so it was actually a pleasant run, pace was fine, legs started to tire at 10 mile mark, but just kept plodding away. Glad it's over so I can relax and enjoy the long weekend!!

Sat 16th March
    Cross training - 50 minute fast paced walk

Sunday 17th March

Rest day

Monday 18th March
    Was supposed to do a 3 mile run today, 6miles on Tuesday and 3 on Wednesday, but with time a bit of an issue on Tuesday, I did the 6miles today

6 miles 54 minutes

Tuesday 19th March
    3.5 miles threadmill - 31 minutes

Wed 20th March
    3 miles turned into 5miles today as I had the time and the weather this morning was glorious. Would have loved to have done the LSR today with this weather. Not sure how I'm going to fit it in as the forecast for the next few days isn't good. Would 13miles on a threadmill be a bad idea?

Week 8

Day|Distance|Comments
    Mon|6 miles|Lovely Morning and felt fine after LSR|
    Tues|3.5 miles|On the threadmill|
    Weds|5 miles| This was supposed to be 3 but kept on running because of lovely weather|
    Thurs|Cross Train|
    Fri|13 miles LSR|
    Sat|Cross train|
    Sun|Rest|

Added a table to make it easier for me to follow

Week 8

Day|Distance|Comments
    Mon|6 miles|Lovely Morning and felt fine after LSR|
    Tues|3.5 miles|On the threadmill|
    Weds|5 miles| This was supposed to be 3 but kept on running because of lovely weather|
    Thurs|Cross Trainer and Bike 40 mins|
    Fri|Rest|
    Sat|13M LSR|
    Sun|40 min walk|

13M LSR was fine, felt really good and as if I could have ran for longer. Again I ran with a partner, but after 7 miles she struggled with 10min miles, so I headed on for the remaining miles on my own and reckon I was running between 9.20 and 9.40 min miles, (watch not working so didn't know the pace). Sounds mean, but if I stayed with her, I was putting her under pressure!

Week 9 - This is the plan for the week beginning 25th March

Day|Distance|Comments
    Mon|3 miles||
    Tues|7 miles||
    Weds|4 miles||
    Thurs|Rest||
    Fri|10M LSR||
    Sat|Cross Train||
    Sun|Rest||

• Advertisement

Day|Distance|Comments
    Mon|3 miles|27 minutes easy run|
    Tues|7 miles|63 minutes felt a little tired on this one|
    Weds|4 miles|threadmill run 37 mins|
    Thurs|Rest||
    Fri|10M LSR|changed the route hilly run this week pace probably a bit too fast 93 mins|
    Sat|Cross Train|bike for 30mins easy spinning|
    Sun|Rest||

Last Easy Week before the mileage increases:(
    I've a few busy weeks ahead, so not sure how I'm going to fit all the running in, early morning runs or late evenings I think.

Advertisement