Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoping to run Cork City Marathon 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Karenmtob

Week 10 - Beginning 1st April- Here's the plan

Day|Distance|Comments
    Mon|3 miles||
    Tues|7 miles||
    Weds|4 miles||
    Thurs|Rest||
    Fri|15M LSR||
    Sat|Cross Train||
    Sun|Rest||

Day|Distance|Comments
    Mon|7 miles|62 mins|
    Tues|5 miles|42 mins -faster than probably should have been but felt fine|
    Weds|Rest||
    Thurs|15m LSR||
    Fri|Cross Train||
    Sat|Rest||
    Sun|3m Light Run||

Plan has been changed around bit to fit in with kids been off from school. Bank Holiday Monday I did the 7 mile run - 62 mins. Tuesday - met up two friends and did 5 miles in 42 minutes probably a bit too pacy but felt fine. Rest day as hubby is not around to mind kids this evening. LSR planned for tomorrow, again I've managed to get a partner for this one, so shouldn't be too bad I'm hoping!!!

Well, I did 15 miles today, like alot of other people training for the Cork Marathon I decided to head to Mahon to do this run. Started in Harty's quay and ran to passage and back to the Harty's quay which is 5 miles, stopped and had a drink (high 5 about 400mls), set off from there to blackrock castle along by water, marina (at 9 miles my head was struggling with this whole marathon obsession), anyway put the head down and carried on into town, back out by Monahan road,Blackrock castle and Harty's Quay, 15 miles done!! 2hrs 27mins

Now I'm obsessing with next weeks 16 miler!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Karenmtob wrote: »
    Well, I did 15 miles today, like alot of other people training for the Cork Marathon I decided to head to Mahon to do this run. Started in Harty's quay and ran to passage and back to the Harty's quay which is 5 miles, stopped and had a drink (high 5 about 400mls), set off from there to blackrock castle along by water, marina (at 9 miles my head was struggling with this whole marathon obsession), anyway put the head down and carried on into town, back out by Monahan road,Blackrock castle and Harty's Quay, 15 miles done!! 2hrs 27mins

Now I'm obsessing with next weeks 16 miler!!!!

Brilliant stuff. The head, lungs and legs all can mouth off at different times during a long run. The more long runs you do, you realise it's only temporary, and they'll shut up after a while. :)

As the runs get longer, that Marina, Harty's Quay, Old train line loop is really handy, you can do a couple of loops to up the mileage as required.

Day|Distance|Comments
    Mon|7 miles|62 mins|
    Tues|5 miles|42 mins -faster than probably should have been but felt fine|
    Weds|Rest||
    Thurs|15m LSR completed 2hrs 27||
    Fri|Cross Train| 40 min walk|
    Sat|Rest||
    Sun|3.4m Light Run|33 mins|

Summary of last weeks training. Over half way there now, mileage is really increasing now, so we'll see how the body holds up,so far so good.

Below is the plan for this week

Week 11 - April 8th
    Day|Distance|Comments
    Mon|4 miles||
    Tues |8 miles||
    Weds|Rest||
    Thurs|4miles||
    Fri|Cross Train| |
    Sat|Rest||
    Sun|16M lsr||

• Advertisement

Week 11 - April 8th
    Day|Distance|Comments
    Mon|4 miles|completed in 34 mins - felt good after the long run|
    Tues |8 miles| 1hr 14 mins|
    Weds|4 miles|threadmill before work 37 mins|
    Thurs|Rest||
    Fri|16 M LSR|2hrs 34 mins. Did the same route as last week but tagged on a mile |
    Sat|Cross Train||
    Sun|Rest||

Had to jig the plan a little bit, LSR moved to Friday as I had a running buddy, I've been so lucky have had company for all my LSRs to date, makes such a difference, I really don't know if I would get through them on my own (the boredom and the mind games would kick in)
    16 miles this week, can't believe I'm doing that distance, but still have major concerns on how I'm going to run a further 10 miles on the day!
    My legs were feeling it at 8 miles yesterday, took a gel at this stage and it made a difference, next time out will have more than one with me.
    It took us 2hrs 34 mins which is avg of 9.30 min miles, so it is probably too fast.
    I was fairly tired after it, thought I would have a great nights sleep as well, but legs were sore and kept me awake. But on the plus side, legs are fine today, going to head out for a walk this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Making good progress Karen well done.

Week 12 - April 15th
    Day|Distance|Comments
    Mon|4 miles|Threadmill before work 37 mins |
    Tues |8 miles| 1hr 14 mins outside early morning run|
    Weds|5miles|Felt good|
    Thurs|Rest||.
    Fri|12 M LSR|1hr 49mins, felt very good and enjoyed the run |
    Sat|Cross Train|Walk 40 mins|
    Sun|Rest||

Having spoken with a work colleague who also is a first timer, he is using the jeff galloway run/walk method, so I decided to try it out on my 12m LSR. I ran 5mins, brisk walk for 1 min and felt really good, the intervals kept me focused and I quite enjoyed it, plus I found €20 on the pavement during the run, so was well chuffed. When I compared my previous 12mile time, I was actually faster using this method, so I think I'm going to do this for the remaining long runs and on marathon day.
    Good week of training, but then it was a step back week, which always helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Week 12 - April 15th

Having spoken with a work colleague who also is a first timer, he is using the jeff galloway run/walk method, so I decided to try it out on my 12m LSR. I ran 5mins, brisk walk for 1 min and felt really good, the intervals kept me focused and I quite enjoyed it, plus I found €20 on the pavement during the run, so was well chuffed. When I compared my previous 12mile time, I was actually faster using this method, so I think I'm going to do this for the remaining long runs and on marathon day.
    Good week of training, but then it was a step back week, which always helps.
    First of all, nice one on the €20! I love when stuff like that happens!

I would be a bit worried about the run/walk method being totally honest with you. I have heard of it before and I could see it working on shorter runs like 12 miles, but I wouldn’t be so sure about it working on longer runs and the marathon itself. You are obviously having to run faster when you are running to make up for the minutes walking and I would worry that would tire you out very quickly on the day. Also, I would imagine it gets harder and harder to speed up again after walking as you get more and more fatigued. I don’t know anyone on Boards who has used this method successfully. I honestly think you’d be better setting a steady pace, follow a pacer and let them do the calculating for you and that way you don’t have to be constantly worried about your speed/looking at your watch.

Obviously, different things work for different people, but I think if this was a successful method, more people would do it. That’s just my 2c, I’m certainly no expert. Maybe put a post on the main forum and see what some of the seasoned marathoners think?

ncmc wrote: »
    First of all, nice one on the €20! I love when stuff like that happens!

I would be a bit worried about the run/walk method being totally honest with you. I have heard of it before and I could see it working on shorter runs like 12 miles, but I wouldn’t be so sure about it working on longer runs and the marathon itself. You are obviously having to run faster when you are running to make up for the minutes walking and I would worry that would tire you out very quickly on the day. Also, I would imagine it gets harder and harder to speed up again after walking as you get more and more fatigued. I don’t know anyone on Boards who has used this method successfully. I honestly think you’d be better setting a steady pace, follow a pacer and let them do the calculating for you and that way you don’t have to be constantly worried about your speed/looking at your watch.

Obviously, different things work for different people, but I think if this was a successful method, more people would do it. That’s just my 2c, I’m certainly no expert. Maybe put a post on the main forum and see what some of the seasoned marathoners think?

Thanks for the advice, I'll put it on the main forum to get people's views. Well done in Wexford, I think you are being very tough on yourself, you have huge mileage done and I'll bet you will nail that 3.30.

• Advertisement

Week 13 - April 22nd
    Day|Distance|Comments
    Mon|5 miles|54 mins |
    Tues |9 miles| 9.30 min miles avg|
    Weds|4 miles|threadmill - 9.30 min miles|
    Thurs|Cross train||.
    Fri|Rest| |
    Sat|18M LSR||
    Sun|Cross Train||

I'm having major doubts about the marathon now, I know I've followed the plan to the letter, haven't missed any sessions, but the thought of the long runs over the next few weeks, is really not appealing to me. This weekend I have to do an 18miler, 14 miler the following week and then a 20 miler the weekend after that. I'm thinking will I just do the half and enjoy it, is the marathon going to be a total nightmare, am I going to be so nervous on the day that I won't enjoy it. Do I really have enough of a base to take this on, considering I have only one half marathon run? It is wrecking my head!!!! Also have a child making their holy communion in mid May, so I'll have a busy few weeks coming up to that.

Everyone has doubts about whether they'll be fit for the marathon - everyone. You have followed the plan to the letter and the idea of the plan is to get you to the start line fit and fresh and most importantly, get you to the finish line. Every single person on the DCM mentored novice thread last year that started the marathon finished it. We all foliwed the same plan as you. There wasn't a single dnf. The vast majority of us were happy with our time and had a positive experience.

The long runs over the next few weeks will help build your confidence, especially the 20 miler, it's a great confidence booster. Don't doubt yourself, you are doing great and you WILL finish that marathon!

Everyone has doubts about whether they'll be fit for the marathon - everyone. You have followed the plan to the letter and the idea of the plan is to get you to the start line fit and fresh and most importantly, get you to the finish line. Every single person on the DCM mentored novice thread last year that started the marathon finished it. We all foliwed the same plan as you. There wasn't a single dnf. The vast majority of us were happy with our time and had a positive experience.

The long runs over the next few weeks will help build your confidence, especially the 20 miler, it's a great confidence booster. Don't doubt yourself, you are doing great and you WILL finish that marathon!

Thanks NCMC, but I'm really questioning am I even enjoying this!!

I think it's totally normal to get into a bit of a funk in the middle of a training plan. It can feel like a lot of slog and miles without any pay off. But look at it this way, you really only have 3 tough weeks left and then it's taper time. Trust me, it will be all worth it come June 3rd! It's such a great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Just to reiterate what ncmc has well put..we all have doubts, especially once the miles start building up and trying to fit the runs in, worrying about a missed run, here and there. Picking up injuries and missing a week or two..getting fed up of sticking to the plan..whats going to happen on the day..
    As you see..its ALL normal, in fact if you didnt question yourself, I'd get worried! Non runners only see or think of the race day, the majority have no idea of the commiment you are putting in, leading up to it. You'll find that the actual race is going to be the enjoyable part..mostly!! So, deep breaths, you and me...and you will get through it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

^^^+1 to what ncmc & mr.wiggle have already said.To question yourself is quite normal,its like anything you study/practice/train for in life,it may take weeks/months/even years but coming close to the big day you'll always question whether you've done enough,miseed a chapter,maybe should have stayed awake another hour to study one more chapter,heck Ido & know others who have already done a marathon or two are still questionong themselves so welcome to the club,your right on track.

Your on course to do this mararthon,you've hardly missed a session & you may even find in the lead up to the communion that it's great to get out there for a run & have a realease from the stress of it all.

Folks, thanks for the positive thoughts, trying not to obsess over the long run this weekend
    Its like the leaving cert all over again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

I actually enjoy the 18 or 20 milers even though it feels like somebody is sticking pins in my legs when I'm finished. Just keep saying "I'm running 18 miles today". Its a great achievement already to run this kind of distance.

Folks, thanks for the positive thoughts, trying not to obsess over the long run this weekend
    Its like the leaving cert all over again!!
    I’m a great one for obsessing about certain runs, in my case any kind of speed session or run that involves PMP miles. The way I try and look at it now is to say ‘what’s the worst that can happen?’ If I have to walk for a minute or don’t hit my target speed for a mile or two, well really, what harm is done? It’s only one run out 70-80 runs in the training program. Everyone has the odd bad run, I think the key is not to obsess about the bad runs but to try and analyse what was bad about it and try and work on that the next time.

I recommend audio books for the longer runs, I find they keep my mind off running much more than music, or there are people who swear by podcasts. Also, try and give yourself the best possible chance of having a good run by eating properly and hydrating for the few days prior, have a couple of gels and make sure you keep hydrated during the run. You will feel so great having 18 miles under your belt, I think it’s the first run where you really begin to see that you’re not that far off marathon length and that you really can do it!

Week 13 - April 22nd
    Day|Distance|Comments
    Mon|5 miles|54 mins |
    Tues |9 miles| 9.30 min miles avg|
    Weds|4 miles|threadmill - 9.30 min miles|
    Thurs|Cross train| Gym, light weights and stretching|.
    Fri|Rest| |
    Sat|18M LSR| 2.54, delighted to have this under my belt|
    Sun|Cross Train||

I had such a difficult week, deliberating about the marathon and this pending 18 mile run. I managed to rope someone in to join me, so the plan was for me to run 5 miles and they joined me to run 13 together. I was concerned about drinks and gels etc, so planked a few of these earlier in the day. Ran the first 5 miles, took a gel and was joined by my running partner and honestly I think I would have just quit if it wasn't for her. I felt tired and legs were not feeling fresh for the whole of the run, so I am so delighted that mentally I was able to keep going. At mile 13 took another gel and more drinks and we pushed on from there. Completed in 2.54.
    Tired now, but not feeling too bad, achilles tendons in both legs sore, so will ice later when I put feet up. Now its time to obsess over the next LSR!!

• Advertisement

Week 14 - April 29nd
    Day|Distance|Comments
    Mon|rest | |
    Tues |5 miles| 45 mins|
    Weds|9 miles|1hr 27 mins - hilly route|
    Thurs|5 miles| 45 mins|.
    Fri|Rest| |
    Sat|14M LSR| 2hrs 8 mins - out and back route, enjoyed the run,|
    Sun|rest||

Step back week, did I ever think that a 14 mile run would be my easy run. Felt very well, out and back run, and had a negative split coming back, so was very pleased. Took a gel at 7 mile marker and it was much easier to take, so will try these out again next sat on the 20 miler. Nearly there now.

Week 15 - May 5
    Day|Distance|Comments
    Mon|5 miles | |
    Tues |10 miles| |
    Weds|Rest||
    Thurs|5 miles| |.
    Fri|Rest| |
    Sat|20M LSR| |
    Sun|Cross Train||

Week 15 - May 5
    Day|Distance|Comments
    Mon|5 miles | 43.44|
    Tues |10 miles|16.09 1hr 35|
    Weds|Rest||
    Thurs|5 miles|8.05 48|.
    Fri|Rest| |
    Sat|21M LSR|3hr 23 |
    Sun|Cross Train|40 min Walk|

Since I started of this plan I dreaded this week, delighted its over, again I managed to rope in a training partner for the LSR, it makes it so much easier, felt very good during and after run. I can't believe I ran 21 miles. Legs were tired yesterday, but weren't too bad. So glad, that I didn't opt for the half now, feeling much more confident about the distance now.

Week 16 - May 12
    Day|Distance|Comments
    Mon|4 miles | 40 mins slow recovery run|
    Tues |Rest||
    Weds|8 miles||
    Thurs|Rest||.
    Fri|12M| |
    Sat|| |
    Sun|5 miles||

Have to re-jig the plan this week as middle child has communion on Saturday.

That's great Karen, glad you're feeling confident again. That 21 miles will really stand for you on the day. Have you decided what pace you're going to set out at?

That's great Karen, glad you're feeling confident again. That 21 miles will really stand for you on the day. Have you decided what pace you're going to set out at?

Trying to decide will i go with 4.15 or 4.30 pacers, might start wirh 4.30 and see how i feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Thats a smart move Karen, especially as its your first time.
    Better to have fuel left in the tank at half-way, rather than take the chance and push it from the start.

+1 to what Mr Wiggle said, better to push on and finish strong than start out to fast and end up having a miserable last few miles.

Did 12 miles on friday, haven't run since, have a bad chest infection and feeling wrecked. I need to get better fast!!!!

• Advertisement

Did 12 miles on friday, haven't run since, have a bad chest infection and feeling wrecked. I need to get better fast!!!!
    Sorry to hear you’re unwell Karen, whatever you do, make sure you are 100% better before running again. I know it’s frustrating, but the worst thing you could do now is return too soon and make yourself worse in the long run. Something like a chest infection can really knock you for six, so rest up and allow yourself to get totally better. Nothing you do now is going to make you run any faster on the day, the hard work is done now and the most beneficial thing you can do is to make sure you’re well and rested on the day.

Advertisement