Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange mail relay problem

Options
  • 25-02-2013 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi

I've a strange request.  We have a domain, not registered with Eircom instead it's registered and web/ email hosted with irishdomains.

We have emails sent to us that randomly don't arrive.  One email from person A gets to us, the next doesn't.  We're traced the cause of this problem to the fact that some of Eircom's mail relay servers are accepting email for our domain.  So if an email is sent to us by someone on Eircom's network we never get it.

I emailed Eircom support but got a fairly stock reply asking for ac details after several days and as we're not Eircom customers I'm not sure where to go next.

Could you direct me to someone who can help in this case, I can PM any info you need.

Many thanks
    Gerry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

This happens to me all the time too. My email provider (hover.com) is very proactive in blacklisting or greylisting mail servers that are persistently misused to send unsolicited spam, and unfortunately that covers a lot of eircom's servers (probably malware infected PC's acting as part of spam botnets.)

The problem is that eircom operate a load balancing network, such that even though you think you're sending an email via a single server, mail1.eircom.net, that's just a front-end, and the actual job of sending the email goes to one of a pool of a number of different servers, and it's pot luck which one you get, and whether that particular one is blacklisted or not.

I've contacted eircom's abuse department a couple of times regarding this, but it's like talking to a black hole, and I never get a reply.

Maybe one of the reps here could escalate this, and get someone higher up to talk to them and get them to be a bit more proactive in this regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Alun wrote: »
    This happens to me all the time too. My email provider (hover.com) is very proactive in blacklisting or greylisting mail servers that are persistently misused to send unsolicited spam, and unfortunately that covers a lot of eircom's servers (probably malware infected PC's acting as part of spam botnets.)

The problem is that eircom operate a load balancing network, such that even though you think you're sending an email via a single server, mail1.eircom.net, that's just a front-end, and the actual job of sending the email goes to one of a pool of a number of different servers, and it's pot luck which one you get, and whether that particular one is blacklisted or not.

I've contacted eircom's abuse department a couple of times regarding this, but it's like talking to a black hole, and I never get a reply.

Maybe one of the reps here could escalate this, and get someone higher up to talk to them and get them to be a bit more proactive in this regard.

Hi gerryR

I'm sorry to hear this is happening, as you are not an eircom customer the best advice I can offer is that you can contact email support for non eircom customers on 1530277100.

Best wishes

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

gerryR wrote: »
    Hi

I've a strange request.  We have a domain, not registered with Eircom instead it's registered and web/ email hosted with irishdomains.

We have emails sent to us that randomly don't arrive.  One email from person A gets to us, the next doesn't.  We're traced the cause of this problem to the fact that some of Eircom's mail relay servers are accepting email for our domain.  So if an email is sent to us by someone on Eircom's network we never get it.

I emailed Eircom support but got a fairly stock reply asking for ac details after several days and as we're not Eircom customers I'm not sure where to go next.

Could you direct me to someone who can help in this case, I can PM any info you need.

Many thanks
    Gerry
    Did you have mail with eircom at some stage? If so perhaps they still have an active domain on their systems that wasn't removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

Hi gerryR

I'm sorry to hear this is happening, as you are not an eircom customer the best advice I can offer is that you can contact email support for non eircom customers on 1530277100.

Best wishes

Al
    That number doesn't work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

gerryR wrote: »
    That number doesn't work
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi Gerry

Sorry to hear this, have you a baring from your phone to such numbers? I have checked the 1530277100 number and I can confirm that this is indeed working. If issues persist in trying get through to this number please call 1890260260 and press option 0 to speak with a member of our broadband support team who will then direct you to email support. Apologies for the inconvenience Gerry.

Regards

Al[/font]

• Advertisement
Advertisement