Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting of one room in an apartment

Options
  • 25-02-2013 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

just looking for feedback and maybe advice

i have 3 bedroom appt and i rent 2 roooms and i stay in the third.

mine is a large roon double ensuite

i rent out a small double room and a box room.

i suppose after years of renting out i've grown tired of sharing :) and well just feel like its an appt i rent rather then somewhere i call home.

i'm easily geting 320 euro a month for the double room, my idea is to rent the double room for 380 and not rent the single room so there only would be myself and the other person. and we would have a spare room between us kind of thing. also they would have the bathroom to themselves except of course when guests are over etc...

my gf does stay over some weekends but not all weekends so again having one less person in house makes that a bit easier, not that we want place to ourselves or anything merely just 4 people trying cook etc..

so my question would be ... would you pay extra for having to share with just one other and having the bathroom as such to urself.. and sharing with less people ?

the 380 for the double figure is based on what i can afford, given my wages and mortgage etc.. if i go under 380 it would mean having to rent out the single room as well..

i know the post is a bit vague..feel to ask anything :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If the room was advertised for a new tenant and 380 is market rate (or a little lower as lots of people don't like owner occupied) for a double room then fair enough. It would be unreasonable to expect your current licensee to pay so much extra because you want more space.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

athtrasna wrote: »
    If the room was advertised for a new tenant and 380 is market rate (or a little lower as lots of people don't like owner occupied) for a double room then fair enough. It would be unreasonable to expect your current licensee to pay so much extra because you want more space.

o I know the currents tenants are moving out over summer. so this would be for a new tenant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

In general people don't really care that much about the distinction of having a bathroom to themselves or not.

If 320 is the going rate there is no way you'll get 380 for it.

If you really want to just rent out one room, then I'd recommend moving from the en-suite and rentting that.

You'll rent it quicker and get a better price for it.

whether or not a room is en-suite is what people care about!

In general people don't really care that much about the distinction of having a bathroom to themselves or not.

If 320 is the going rate there is no way you'll get 380 for it.

If you really want to just rent out one room, then I'd recommend moving from the en-suite and rentting that.

You'll rent it quicker and get a better price for it.

whether or not a room is en-suite is what people care about!

thanks for feed back 320 is well below going rate its just I knew person general price range I'd get if I was to rent room out would be 350 -400 just going by daft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I wouldn't necessarily trust daft, some people put up mad prices! I was renting out a room recently. Checked daft, prices ranged from 350-450 for similiar rooms. I put mine up at 320. Small bit of interest, but no luck renting. reduced it to 300 and had it rented within a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I would say that the fact that whoever you rent the room to will only be sharing the apartment with one other person would help. Also the fact that they will have their own bathroom (most of the time) is a plus.

When you're advertising the room make sure you stress those points and you should have no problem.

dearg lady wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessarily trust daft, some people put up mad prices! I was renting out a room recently. Checked daft, prices ranged from 350-450 for similiar rooms. I put mine up at 320. Small bit of interest, but no luck renting. reduced it to 300 and had it rented within a week.

i have rented out the room for 350 before so i know i can get that again i think i hope :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

i have rented out the room for 350 before so i know i can get that again i think i hope :)

you know, or think, or hope?! :P
    I'm just kiddin, just thought it worth mentioning in case you were basing all your plans on that. The room I referred to, I got 320 last year, but 300 seems to be the most now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

dearg lady wrote: »
    you know, or think, or hope?! :P
    I'm just kiddin, just thought it worth mentioning in case you were basing all your plans on that. The room I referred to, I got 320 last year, but 300 seems to be the most now.

A lot also has to do with timing. You'll rent a room very quickly in autumn, particularly September, while you could struggle over the summer.

A lot also has to do with timing. You'll rent a room very quickly in autumn, particularly September, while you could struggle over the summer.

september is the target date :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement