Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

And Wales. But as you suggest there is no chance of it

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

lertsnim wrote: »
    It's not the Premier League that blocks 3pm games in the UK. It's the FA.

It's the British government that introduced the legislation. The FA don't make the laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Yes but the FA request it just like the SFA request it in Scotland and the FAW don't in Wales.

This is why Wales is not restricted in that ridiculous rule.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It's the British government that introduced the legislation. The FA don't make the laws.

We are getting off topic here but to clarify, There is no UK law prohibiting the transmission of games at 3pm - if there were, Wales would be unlikely to be excluded and S4C would be unlikely to get away with their League of Wales games at 3pm on Saturdays!

The position in fact is that UEFA allows any member association to define a period during which the intentional transmission of any football is prohibited in their territory. The FA, Scottish FA, and IFA have defined such a period, the FAW and FAI have not.

http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/88494.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Announcement of live games on BT coming soon guys I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

I was told by phone to Setanta sports on Thursday that current Setanta customers will be written to within 10 days, It was not clear if I would be required to confirm my continuation or not.

One thing was made clear to me however was that there will be a requirement to pay the full full price from 1st August 2013 by all subscribers, although it is likely that loyal customers will be able to keep there free multiroom at least for a further period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

batistuta9 wrote: »
    are you saying the companies should do a deal & hike up the price of their packs, even for people who don't want it?

No, both UPC and sky sports with Sky have an element already built in for the ESPN channels, there should be no need to hike to continue the status quo, or else you would expect the monthly subs to come down (2 chances).

Also, I sure as hell don't want to be paying for TLC and the like, but I do have to.

More pertinently, I do not like premiership football, but would like sky sports for the rugby and cricket. Do you think its fair that I need to pay €35 a month for sky sports, when most of that sub is to pay for the football??

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

mollser wrote: »
    No, both UPC and sky sports with Sky have an element already built in for the ESPN channels, there should be no need to hike to continue the status quo, or else you would expect the monthly subs to come down (2 chances).

Also, I sure as hell don't want to be paying for TLC and the like, but I do have to.

More pertinently, I do not like premiership football, but would like sky sports for the rugby and cricket. Do you think its fair that I need to pay €35 a month for sky sports, when most of that sub is to pay for the football??

In an ideal world we'd be able to pay for just a rugby package.. Or football package... Where you only pay less than the e35 or whatever it is now..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

ColmH81 wrote: »
    In an ideal world we'd be able to pay for just a rugby package.. Or football package... Where you only pay less than the e35 or whatever it is now..

If the Premier League is all your interested in, it is possible, on satellite, to take either Sky Sports 1 or 2 on its own for €20 pm. You'd be doing so in the knowledge that Sky cannot show Premier League matches on Sky Sports 3 or 4. It used to be possible to do this on cable too, but it doesn't seem to be anymore.

The problem with what you suggest is that it would require Sky to operate sport-themed channels for each sport (otherwise it gets way too complicated as regards subscriber management). They do have the F1 channel and there is currently a temporary rebrand of Sky Sports 2 as a cricket channel Sky Sports Ashes (it will go back to normal in September). The problem with this is what do you do with other sports, and the fact that it removes scheduling flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭boris george

Pricing has been announced.
    €19.99 per month.
    Annual offer €199 (Works out at €16.58 per month).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭boris george

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Announcement of live games on BT coming soon guys I wonder?
    9th July.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

€19.99 per month.

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

el flaco wrote: »
    Link?

It's on their Twitter and Facebook pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭swoofer

yes, this is the bit "That’s cheaper per month than we currently charge! Given that we have 71 Premier League games including 18 Top Picks, more than ever Setanta is a subscription for the full season so this deal may suit you best. Of course you may want pay monthly. In that case the price will be €19.99 per month. Today we sent out letters to all our customers confirming these great new prices."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

€19.99 per month.
    Its too much at that price for me anyway, I think they might regret the price increase and they have obviously taken the short term gain route that I predicted. Its a dangerous game and could potentially backfire on them if they ever loose PL rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭kooga

irishfeen wrote: »
    Its too much at that price for me anyway, I think they might regret the price increase and they have obviously taken the short term gain route that I predicted. Its a dangerous game and could potentially backfire on them if they ever loose PL rights.

from my perspective it used to cost me €35 per month to watch the aviva premiership rugby between sky and espn, now down to €19.99 a month on BT and i here more fixtures.

kooga wrote: »
    from my perspective it used to cost me €35 per month to watch the aviva premiership rugby between sky and espn, now down to €19.99 a month on BT and i here more fixtures.
    Ah yeah of course I know that there will be people like you but realistically is there enough people to pay 20 euro a month on top of sky sports on an annual basis... you have to remember anyone that I know with Setanta are paying half price at the moment...will they agree to 20 ... I just don't know.

I still think a lower subscription charge and lots and lots of new subscribers would have been better. There would have been a massive increase of subscription numbers if it was say 10 euro... What they need people to feel is that they are not being ripped off for what they are watching... Have they done that by increasing the cost... Definately not.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭marco2068

Or you could do like i do, I don't subscribe to sky. I only get setanta only.

So it's going to cost me €20 a month. I don't have to pay the 30quid extra for the entertainment pack before getting sky sports.

marco2068 wrote: »
    Or you could do like i do, I don't subscribe to sky. I only get setanta only.

So it's going to cost me €20 a month. I don't have to pay the 30quid extra for the entertainment pack before getting sky sports.
    Thats fine if you want to head to the pub to watch the big matches... But most people I would think prefer to stay at home on the sofa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

It's certainly gonna be an expensive season for soccer fans anyway. I'll be subscribing to the Setanta pack and Sky have me with the whole Super Sunday, Saturday Night Football and Monday Night Football.

Ah well. I won't miss a kick but I'll sure has hell pay for it!!

By my estimate it'll cost me over €600 per year for sport. Ouch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pricewise987

Sky Sports - €35
    Setanta/BT - €20
    Racing UK - €26

€81 per month just for sport

€28 short of €1,000 per year

=============================================

Just rang and cancelled ALL 3.....

Have had enough of being a mug

Online options will do fine....:)

Sky Sports - €35
    Setanta/BT - €20
    Racing UK - €26

And that's the exact problem that Setanta now faces in recessionary Ireland... People may just completely get rid of sports packages and head to the pub, just subscribe to sky sports and watch BT/Setanta games online or just buy a forreign sub to watch everything... As I said the 20 euro subscription may net Setanta short term gain but in the longer term is it driving fans to watch in other ways (especially now with the massive rollout of fibre networks)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

what about the 'dodgy boxes'?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Sky Sports - €35
    Setanta/BT - €20
    Racing UK - €26

35 for sky sports? You also need the entertaiment pack for 27€ as well. If you could get sports on its own it wouldn't be to bad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

irishfeen wrote: »

Is that €200 payable up front ? - a lot of people got burned when Setanta UK collapsed,

€20 a month is too high imho - there will probably be a connection fee on top of that - can see this going the way of ESPN -€10 pmth then dropped to nil as the take up was non existant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭kooga

In terms of the sport season i'm going to pay month by month as both the rugby season and football season finishes in mid may and doesn't resume till mid august a break of 3 months so this is my logic €19.99 x 9 =€179.91 and that's €20 euro cheaper than the upfront payment of €200.

Anyway lets be honest the only show in town next summer is the world cup and that's fta on rte, bbc and itv!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

http://www.setanta.com/ie/gamechanger/

At least I know now that the BT Sport HD channels will be available. No Setanta HD though so presumably there are no plans for it.
    Will I be able to view the channels in HD?
    BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN will all be available in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

batistuta9 wrote: »
    what about the 'dodgy boxes'?

Indeed. Just a matter of more people finding out about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Indeed. Just a matter of more people finding out about them.

do you have one?

• Advertisement

Just a heads up lads, nearly all talk of dodgy boxes and the likes will end up with you being banned from this forum.

Advertisement