Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There's an interesting article in today's Sunday Times explaining the host broadcaster role for UEFA club football, for those interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

icdg wrote: »
    There's an interesting article in today's Sunday Times explaining the host broadcaster role for UEFA club football, for those interested.
    I presume Eirsport will be the host broadcaster for Dundalk's run in the Europa league?

Manchester United in their group would be the idea fixture for Eir and Dundalk. United would sell out the Aviva in all likelihood.

If indeed they do end up in the Europa League (which looks likely given first leg result) then yes, that'll be the case and Eir Sport do make that clear in the article (as well as stating they'll be showing all of Manchester United's group stage games).

The removal of Eir Sport from Virgin and the making of the full pack available to all Eir Broadband customers means the allocation of games to Eir Sport 1 or 2 doesn't matter as much as it did in the past - I think Vodafone TV customers are the only ones now who have the old Virgin-style situation of Eir Sport 1 as a basic channel and Eir Sport 2 as premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ianburke

can we not watch the other europa games on bt extra?

Play-off round in the Europa League isn't centrally contracted unlike Champions League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭batistuta9

jester77 wrote: »
    Sky lost the PL rights to the Perform Media group from next season, so the only way to see EL from next year through to 2019 will be through DAZN. Perform Media group are pretty big, they own Spox and Goal.com. So there is quite a bit of capital behind them.

Don't know if this will be a success, without live Bundesliga and Champions League they are not going to appeal to the majority of Germans. My sky sub is up at the end of this year, so I'll probably cancel it for DAZN. I haven't heard too much yet from this weekend, but some are saying that there is up to 90 seconds of a delay on the feed and there is some stuttering. Hopefully this is just down to it being so new and it improves.

Any more reports on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Any more reports on this?

I can't imagine this being legally/officially available here or in the UK. Sky would lose a fortune.

Pity, because it sounds like a great service.

There's no room for another premium sports service in the UK. There are already three. One could only really start off the back of a significant award of rights held by Sky or BT Sport to a new entrant - probably BT's Premier League rights would be what they would need to win, as I'm certain BT will pull out of sport if that were to occur.

Premier Sports aims itself at a different market - it specifically concentrates on the ex-pat (Irish, Australian, and US/Canadian) market, shares a chunk of its costs with Eir Sport, and even then I'm not convinced it's making money.

https://www.eirsport.ie/dundalk-s-europa-league-games-free-to-air

The headline is slightly misleading, but it appears Dundalk's Europa League games will be broadcast FTV by Eir Sport on satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The headline is slightly misleading, but it appears Dundalk's Europa League games will be broadcast FTV by Eir Sport on satellite.

Funny because for some reason TG4 autumn launch talked about free to view, is Saorview technically not free to air?

Clearly eir will continue to get funding from the BAI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,537 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Misleading alright as they also use the term "free-to-view" in the article.
    Elmo wrote: »
    Funny because for some reason TG4 autumn launch talked about free to view, is Saorview technically not free to air?

It is but people get mixed up on the terminology, similar to the way people can get mixed up here with Freeview/Freesat/FTA sat terminology when posting.

It may not be the magnanimous gesture it first seems BTW, because I am certain that quite a few Europa League group stage games (though I'm not sure if it was actually one per Matchday) were broadcast FTV by Setanta last year. Didn't seem to extend to the knockout stages though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so mods feel free to move.

Is anyone else having trouble with BT Sports 2 on Setanta Go? All the other channels are working fine for me, except the one showing the Moto GP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

image.jpeg

Setanta sports reappears.

mikeym wrote: »
    image.jpeg

Setanta sports reappears.

Is the diamond time courtesy of beIN sport?

Setanta/Eir have been using that diamond clock since August 2014 or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Captain Don Thorpe

For people without broadband, are eir offering deals if you call up to cancel like Setanta used to?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, i have a second deactivated sky box and Eirsport have told me i can watch their package on this even though its deactivated. When i put on the channels it says its the wrong card for the box. I have spoken with Sky and they say i have to reactivate the box and take out the multiroom which i do not want to do, is there anyway around this ?

For people without broadband, are eir offering deals if you call up to cancel like Setanta used to?

Eir seem to be focused on selling Eir Sport with their Phone & Broadband package.

August saw eirSport1 drop to 0.08% audience share down from 0.30% (not that either are great figures, for a channel on 105).

• Advertisement

Of course, the reason for the drop is likely largely connected with the fact that it's not on 105 anymore (on Virgin Media anyway...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Elmo wrote: »
    August saw eirSport1 drop to 0.08% audience share down from 0.30% (not that either are great figures, for a channel on 105).
    I presume the loss of 3pm Premier League games has significantly reduced viewership.

Not for Eirsport 1 - barring the occasional game, live Premier League had moved to what is now Eirsport 2 in August 2013.

Looks like the Setanta brand lives on, they have got Premier League rights in Kazakhstan.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016/09/19/setanta-expands-kazakhstan/

Very nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I think they're still going in Thailand too

Article in the Irish Times today regarding GAA sports rights implying in its headline (without stating outright) that Eir might be in danger of losing the league rights because of its non availability on Virgin Media, though it shows no evidence to support the implication.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Interestingly it also says that Sky may retain the same rights with TV3/EIR putting up a good battle to get the RTE rights.

Interestingly it also says that Sky may retain the same rights with TV3/EIR putting up a good battle to get the RTE rights.

TV3/RTE may go after league rights that Eir have held in the past.
    Can't eir or sky getting any RTE's championship, TV3 might look to get some of RTE's championship rights but with Six Nations and the return of ITV soaps I can't see it, more like TV3 will get sky rights with the stipulation that they carry the games on Virgin in Britain, even that seems unlikely seeing as it would be only one Platform.

I don't think it will be that much of a change, certainly eir unavailability on virgin is not good.

Despite the alarmist headline, the meat of the article actually pointed to no change in the GAA rights at all. It was slightly odd in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I would imagine Eir would go for Sunday rights for the League as well if agreed by GAA and also the finals live with tg4.

Advertisement