Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

irishfeen wrote: »
    Just a heads up lads, nearly all talk of dodgy boxes and the likes will end up with you being banned from this forum.

there's 2 rules relating to this specifically (i think) but i'll ask you anyway is talking about cost comparison and quality allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

What do people think will happen with UPC?

For the 2012/2013 season UPC customers got 2 of the 5 channels that are now being offered by this new 'Setanta Sports' pack. The pricing will be interesting.

If UPC customers lose these 2 (more if you count the other ESPN channels) and still have to pay the 20 quid that they are saying they are going to charge for this new package than it'll be a tad unfair and may well push many of their customers off the top tier channel offering.

To me it's a bit different the way ESPN was thrown in for 'free' with Sky Sports customers on Sky.

Also, Eircoms 'Sports Hub' offered free streaming of the Setanta EPL matches.

This watching a bit of football business is getting a bit ridiculous...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

For the 2012/2013 season UPC customers got 2 of the 5 channels that are now being offered by this new 'Setanta Sports' pack. The pricing will be interesting.

If UPC customers lose these 2 (more if you count the other ESPN channels) and still have to pay the 20 quid that they are saying they are going to charge for this new package than it'll be a tad unfair and may well push many of their customers off the top tier channel offering.

To me it's a bit different the way ESPN was thrown in for 'free' with Sky Sports customers on Sky.

Also, Eircoms 'Sports Hub' offered free streaming of the Setanta EPL matches.

This watching a bit of football business is getting a bit ridiculous...

I won't be paying for Setanta. I have sky sports and thats enough. Go to spend some time out and about, and actually playing football

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

Pricing has been announced.
    €19.99 per month.
    Annual offer €199 (Works out at €16.58 per month).
    This is fantastic news, it will only cost an extra €3 per month, the same amount that SKY increased by a few months ago, without offering anything knew,

Setanta did tell me on the phone last week that from August 1st 2013 everyone will have to pay the full subscription when that was decided as it is now, however they did say that loyal customers may be allowed to keep the multiroom free at least for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

batistuta9 wrote: »
    there's 2 rules relating to this specifically (i think) but i'll ask you anyway is talking about cost comparison and quality allowed?
    To be honest mate I just don't talk at all about it, its too easy to to say something for which will get you banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

energy1942 wrote: »
    This is fantastic news, it will only cost an extra €3 per month

For the majority the increase is €20 per month as ESPN was effectively free.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

Just had a call from Setanta and they've given me July, August & Sept for €8.49.
    I had subscribed for a month for the Ireland game against Spain and my subscription was about to end tomorrow.

Infoanon wrote: »
    For the majority the increase is €20 per month as ESPN was effectively free.....
    ESPN was never free, it needed either a subscription to sky sports [EMAIL="1@2"]1@2[/EMAIL] or upc. I take your point but for myself this a fantastic deal.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No more talk of the dodgey boxes on this thread please

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

I always thought that ESPN was thrown in for RoI Sky Sports subscribers not so much because of low take up, but more of a "compensation" for the difference in subscription prices in comparison to UK subscribers with the Euro having strengthened over the STG£ in the last few years. Up north here and across the water if you wanted ESPN you still had to shell out a separate subscription.

All that's now happening is that what was previously the case is now returning for Irish subscribers - the ESPN deal was only ever going to last as long as ESPN remained in that form.

If the €20 per month Setanta sub includes HD for BT1, BT2 & ESPN, that's actually not too bad of a deal all round considering that also sees Setanta & Premier Sports thrown in, while UK Sky subscribers who aren't BT Broadband customers will need to shell out £15 per month if they want BT1, BT2 & ESPN in HD after 1st Aug (£12 without HD). Of course it's still a hit for many, but ultimately choices have to be made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

irishfeen wrote: »
    To be honest mate I just don't talk at all about it, its too easy to to say something for which will get you banned.

i thought you were a mod, when asking you that before :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭kooga

quick question to get this new bt/setanta package does one have to be an existing sky customer or will a working sky box with just the FTA channels allow me (no subscription) to subscribe directly to BT/Setanta ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

if you have a box they will let you subscribe but you have to have a card in the box. I think they will even send you a card under the BAI scheme if you require one. You dont need to be a Sky subscriber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Just tweeted by Setanta Sports

Setanta Sports ‏@SetantaSports
    BT Sport & ESPN join the Setanta Pack from August 1st & satellite customers can subscribe for just €19.99 per month. http://bit.ly/120mvlW

https://twitter.com/SetantaSports/status/352771629983612928

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

There is a half price for 1st months and half price connection fee on their website

https://secure.setantasubs.com/

But I am guessing they simply havent updated it yet?

Does anyone know...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭traecy1

I wonder what's the story with regards to the Champions League group games on Setanta next season. The last few seasons they used to show games on Setanta Ireland and Setanta 1 that RTE/TV3 weren't showing. Will they be allowed to show games on Premier Sports and just block it out in the UK.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

traecy1 wrote: »
    I wonder what's the story with regards to the Champions League group games on Setanta next season. The last few seasons they used to show games on Setanta Ireland and Setanta 1 that RTE/TV3 weren't showing. Will they be allowed to show games on Premier Sports and just block it out in the UK.

In theory they can and have done so for Premier League games since April. In practice their ability to do so is dependant on Premier Sports own schedule. Thursday is the bigger problem as from April to September Premier Sports is committed to showing second-tier rugby league and this clashes with the very early and very late rounds of the Europa League (up as far as matchday 1 of the group stages and from the quarter finals onwards, although in reality that means just the quarter finals as Setanta would only have one semi final). I don't think there's anything they would be committed to showing live on Tuesdays or Wednesdays usually though there could possibly be problems during the Rugby League World Cup later this year, for which Premier Sports are the main broadcasters (including Ireland v Australia in Thomond Park, incidently).

For the 2012/2013 season UPC customers got 2 of the 5 channels that are now being offered by this new 'Setanta Sports' pack. The pricing will be interesting

UPC are running promos for the 'Setanta' pack including BT Sports & ESPN - however there is no mention of pricing or which channels shall be exclusive to the premium service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Will Setanta Ireland remain free to air to UPC user's I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

UPC are running promos for the 'Setanta' pack including BT Sports & ESPN - however there is no mention of pricing or which channels shall be exclusive to the premium service

Any link? :)

Setanta on UPC was priced a euro below what they charged for it on other platforms.
    UPC 16(+no connection fee) vrs. 17 'normal price' (+ 10euro connection fee)

It was a total rip off on UPC at 16euro as half the matches were on Setanta Ireland for 'free' anyway but 20 (or lower?>?) would be quite tempting with the new channels.

Still think this is bad for customers over all though. Most fans will end up paying the same for less matches or have to fork out more...or drink more in the pub...:pac:

• Advertisement

Has anyone received there letter from Setanta yet?

Any link? :)

Promos on UPC 'information' channel

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

R.F. wrote: »
    There is a half price for 1st months and half price connection fee on their website

https://secure.setantasubs.com/

But I am guessing they simply havent updated it yet?

Does anyone know...

I guess they haven't updated that page yet, because it reflects the current price scheme. If you sign up now you'll count as a "current subscriber" and be subject to the €3 price hike. The half price discount might still be applicable though. Just guessing, i.e. thinking aloud, so please don't take my word for it. I'm quite tempted to sign up for the "12 months for the price of 10" scheme myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

http://www.bundesliga.de/de/liga/matches/2013/index.php?tag=6

as a bayern fan

for the first 5 weeks

I will be at the opening game of the season

but for weeks 2-5, there are times I know will not be live on espn, so the new setanta pack is not worth it for me

legal football streaming from betting websites will suit my needs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Promos on UPC 'information' channel

I tuned in to UPC's info channel yesterday to see if I could catch one of those promos. The only sport related one I got to see in the 10 minutes or so I was watching was for 'what's coming up in June on UPC'. Apparently the French Open is anyway.

I tuned in to UPC's info channel yesterday to see if I could catch one of those promos. The only sport related one I got to see in the 10 minutes or so I was watching was for 'what's coming up in June on UPC'. Apparently the French Open is anyway.

The 'info' channel is on a 25-30 minute loop approx - most of the clips are out of date as you have noted but the Setanta/BT Sports was new

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Watched the promo channel myself, didnt see anything either..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Watched the promo channel myself, didnt see anything either..

I too watched the full Info promo loop and it didn't mention BT Sport or Premier Sports once

I too watched the full Info promo loop and it didn't mention BT Sport or Premier Sports once

It was certainly running on Thursday evening - Starts with a Setanta plug for its games followed by all the extra games with BT Sport from Aug 1st.

I assume the promo is provided by Setanta so unless UPC were a bit hasty in running it I can see no reason why it would not be still running.

• Advertisement

Has anyone received there letter from Setanta yet?

Advertisement