Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No FTA partner announced yet, but they are required to sublicense Ireland’s games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Anyone else notice the piss poor picture quality on EirSport2 HD when they broadcast in studio? They must not have HD playout from their studio.

Very noticeable tonight during the Arsenal game when flicking between BT and ES2 ... they really should be fixing these things as a subscription broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I see in the announcement today that eir have a new studio kitted out especially for the pro14.

Is that studio based in Dublin or London?

Also on a separate issue does anyone know how you can view your data usage on the my eir app?

Thanks

Dublin. And they didn’t knit it out just for the Pro14, it made its debut back in February for the start of the GAA Allianz League coverage, after about a decade of Setanta/eir using very much the same set for all their studio stuff.

icdg wrote: »
    Dublin. And they didn’t knit it out just for the Pro14, it made its debut back in February for the start of the GAA Allianz League coverage, after about a decade of Setanta/eir using very much the same set for all their studio stuff.

It’s very strange that they spent all the money on the studio and forgot about HD playout - it’s amateur at best.

• Advertisement

Here’s the tweet when it launched BTW. It’s lit differently for the Pro14 announcement but it’s the same set:

https://twitter.com/eirsport/status/957282008065028096?lang=en

They have HD playout. Eir Sport 1 isn’t HD on satellite but it is on eir vision and Vodafone (and on Virgin Media when they had it).

So does this mean analysts will be based in Dublin for the pro14 with just a commentary team/sideline set up for the games in the UK?

Here’s the tweet when it launched BTW. It’s lit differently for the Pro14 announcement but it’s the same set:

https://twitter.com/eirsport/status/957282008065028096?lang=en

They have HD playout. Eir Sport 1 isn’t HD on satellite but it is on eir vision and Vodafone (and on Virgin Media when they had it).

Do you know if there is in-house studio HD playout on either channel? It was the same as RTÉ for years studio inc. replays was SD upscaled while the actual match was native HD playout.

That I’m unsure of. They do so little studio stuff these days apart from the Allianz League and UEFA club football.

Over the summer there’ll be Republic of Ireland v United States in football as well as on off coverage of the League of Ireland but they usually do all their Irish football on site now. We might not see that studio again until the Pro14 starts, or at least the Champions League play off round.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,192 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I usually get EIr/BT sport in September for a few months for college football, the odd EPL game and the backed of the baseball season.

I hope the addition of Pro14 rugby does not drive the price up.

• Advertisement

OT but if college football is your main concern, you might want to look into the ESPN Player, it’s less than half the price of the Eir Sport pack. You’ll miss the marquee SEC on CBS Saturday evening fixture, but should have access to everything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

OT but if college football is your main concern, you might want to look into the ESPN Player, it’s less than half the price of the Eir Sport pack. You’ll miss the marquee SEC on CBS Saturday evening fixture, but should have access to everything else?

That jingle tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

There seems to be a bit of upheaval in Italy regarding Serie A rights between Sky Italia & Mediapro.
    Mediapro-loses-serie-tender

Anyone know if it has any consequences for coverage in Ireland & UK?

It doesn’t no, it relates only to the Italian domestic rights, where Sky and Mediaset refused to meet the reserve and Mediapro (who are an agency with no existing Italian operations) won the rights simply by bidding the reserve+€1,000.

It doesn’t no, it relates only to the Italian domestic rights, where Sky and Mediaset refused to meet the reserve and Mediapro (who are an agency with no existing Italian operations) won the rights simply by bidding the reserve+€1,000.

So it's BT/eir again for Serie A next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

IsMiseJoe wrote: »
    So it's BT/eir again for Serie A next season?

Not automatically - think the 3-year contract expires at the end of this season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_broadcasting_contracts_in_the_United_Kingdom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Not automatically - think the 3-year contract expires at the end of this season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_broadcasting_contracts_in_the_United_Kingdom

Near sure I seen ads for Italian league on Quest.

Not 100%

Quest are be taking the EFL programmes from Channel 5 next season.

I just hope SerieA doesn't end up on Eurosport like it did a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yes which is a step backwards - Channel 5 is HD, Quest is not (well maybe on SKY for a premium)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yes which is a step backwards - Channel 5 is HD, Quest is not (well maybe on SKY for a premium)

+1

I have seen no sign yet of a Quest HD channel on Astra ;)

• Advertisement

I was abroad last week and took the chromecast with me and was able to cast eir sports to the tv.

Really handy feature. I presume this is only happening with the recent EU ruling where subscriptions can be used across the union.

Sky mobile tv (through vodafone mobile phone) didn't seem to work.

New on-air look for BT Sport this morning, for those interested. Although it’s a bit of an odd time for it to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

New on-air look for BT Sport this morning, for those interested. Although it’s a bit of an odd time for it to change.

Ahead of the rugby finals maybe?

They don’t use their own graphics for that, so no. I thought the BT corporate logo might be changing (in fact it was widely reported about two years ago that it would be changing to “BT” in a circle but nothing ever came of that). Just seems to be a change for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I just got word that Sky Italia have got new exclusive rights to show 266 live Serie A games for the next 3 seasons.

DAZN got live online rights there to show 114 matches for Italian viewers.

https://www.svgeurope.org/blog/headlines/sky-and-dazn-secure-serie-a-rights/

Not sure about how that will impact the UK & Irish rights as of yet though.

It doesn’t impact it at all, save that they can actually go ahead and sell the overseas rights now that there will be cameras at the grounds.

I see from next year Sky have 128 Premier League games.
    BT have 52
    Eir have 53

Are the games on eir exclusive of the games on BT. There would hardly be a point in simulcasting the games on both bt and eir.

I see from next year Sky have 128 Premier League games.
    BT have 52
    Eir have 53

Are the games on eir exclusive of the games on BT. There would hardly be a point in simulcasting the games on both bt and eir.

Eir does not have any games as of yet anyway. Premier Sports won Ireland rights for 53 games.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Eir does not have any games as of yet anyway. Premier Sports won Ireland rights for 53 games.

Premier Sports in the uk
    Eir in Ireland

They are the same. It is eir that have the rights.

Edit: I could be wrong there actually. It seems these 53 games (3pm saturday afternoon) may not automatically go to eir. They will be offered to eir, virgin etc to buy up it seems going by this link.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/former-setanta-owner-secures-irish-rights-to-53-premier-league-matches-1.3522560

• Advertisement

Premier Sports in the uk
    Eir in Ireland

They are the same. It is eir that have the rights.

No it has been widely reported that Eir and Premier have now gone their seperate ways commercially.

The SBP reported over last week or so that Premier are looking for an Irish broadcaster to sub licence the rights from them.

It could very well be Eir but only if Eir pay Premier for the rights.

Advertisement