Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

That is a bit of a gamble by Premier looking to sub licence the games. I think a lot of those games involved mediocre teams so maybe there isn't huge value in it.

Many people probably prefer to watch the 3pm studio show with Jeff Stelling, I think he is called.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

That is a bit of a gamble by Premier looking to sub licence the games. I think a lot of those games involved mediocre teams so maybe there isn't huge value in it.

Many people probably prefer to watch the 3pm studio show with Jeff Stelling, I think he is called.

Tbh I agree, I don’t know how this is going to work, my hope would be TV3 might take a chance as they have been adding sport to their schedule.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Tbh I agree, I don’t know how this is going to work, my hope would be TV3 might take a chance as they have been adding sport to their schedule.

Ya tv3/virgin could be an option as the Virgin tv package is very unattractive at the moment.

I'm still wondering when/if Vodafone are going to enter the sports market re streaming a sport.
    With their vast presence across territories and a big subscriber base on bill pay they are in a good position to capture some of the tv sports market.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Virgin would be problematic to say the least - it would effectively be asking people to choose between the BT Sport games and the ones Premier have sublicensed. That is unless you have the now more unusual combination of Eir Broadband and Virgin TV.

It’d be even more problematic though for commercial customers, most of whom are on Sky and many of whom can’t get Virgin at all due to their location.

icdg wrote: »
    Virgin would be problematic to say the least - it would effectively be asking people to choose between the BT Sport games and the ones Premier have sublicensed. That is unless you have the now more unusual combination of Eir Broadband and Virgin TV.

It’d be even more problematic though for commercial customers, most of whom are on Sky and many of whom can’t get Virgin at all due to their location.

Well the commercial user issue is already the case in the uk with Amazon Prime having 20 games over two dates. Rural premises will miss out on those.

I can't see many people subscribing to Amazon for games on just 2 dates. A person could only watch 2 live games anyway and Amazon paid £90 million for it. A bit mad really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Amazon are no fools -they know exactly what they are doing. This is only the beginning for them.

I don’t think that Amazon particularly care about the commercial customers in the way that Sky, BT, or even eir would to be honest. Their interest is in driving Prime subscriptions as the lucrative Christmas shopping market approaches.

That will be something the commercial customers will be annoyed with, though in the U.K. there are far, far more pubs that just don’t bother with sports than here, where a Sky Sports subscription is practically obligatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

I’m betting that Virgin get an exclusive on Premier Sports here as a massive carrot to their potential subscribers and obviously their current ones to stay on.

Sky to have a sub as like with Setanta did when they were broadcasting.

Obviously just a gut feeling but it’s not to far fetched

Schwanz wrote: »
    I’m betting that Virgin get an exclusive on Premier Sports here as a massive carrot to their potential subscribers and obviously their current ones to stay on.

Sky to have a sub as like with Setanta did when they were broadcasting.

Obviously just a gut feeling but it’s not to far fetched

Virgin are goosed unless they get the eir/bt package option back. They are under big pressure from the fibre rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You realise that whatever way this works, Sky will get the blockbuster games, BT will get the more interesting games Premier will end up with the least interesting games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

Any update on Serie A rights?
    With Ronaldo likely to join Juventus it probably makes the rights a little more interesting. I'm hoping they stay with BT/eir

No, likely held up by all the controversy over the domestic TV deal.

Virgin UK to offer BT Sport 4k on its full house bundle.
    https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/987308/Virgin-Media-4K-update-upgrade-BT-sport-free

I wonder what approach virgin will take in Ireland? I presume they will compete hard for the rights eir have to the BT channels here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

When does the Eir deal with Virgin end?

lertsnim wrote: »
    When does the Eir deal with Virgin end?

I presume you mean 'eir's deal with BT'. It runs until 2019 I think.

Virgin may be very keen to secure it as they would then have both Sky and BT on the one platform. The BT package has become very important with all the rugby on it now. Virgin could lose a lot of subscriptions come September when the new rugby season kicks off.

One would presume eir will push to retain the rights but the competition will probably push up the price for the end user.

Eir don’t have a deal with Virgin, of course. The eir-BT deal ends on 1st August 2019, unless they’ve quietly renewed it.

I presume you mean 'eir's deal with BT'. It runs until 2019 I think.

Of course, brain must have been asleep. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I just wonder what do Eir Sport have to keep going with their own channels? They're losing F1 at the end of the year, most of the time any European soccer they have is usually on BT sports higher up on the Sky EPG. Aside from the odd ITV 4 sports there's not much else. Come 2019 it could be all over.

• Advertisement

Not at all (though they’ll have no European football except the qualifying rounds from now on).

The Pro14 contract is a massive contract, they’ll be required to show all seven games every weekend.

The GAA Allianz Leagues - it’s a really short one but involves up to four live games each week during February and March.

The League of Ireland and League of Ireland Cup. Republic of Ireland home friendlies (granted Nations League means less of these).

The FA Cup - all games that the BBC show plus 3pm KOs in the Third to Fifth Rounds.

And talking of 3pm KOs, still the possibility that they’ll sublicense those in the Premier League from their close friends at Premier Sports. That’s one for 2019-20 onwards obviously.

Premier Sports and FreeSports both adopting new logos somewhat randomly today, very much inspired by the old Setanta Sports yellow and black colour scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Any update on Ligue 1 yet? In the absence of any news, would appear to be staying on BT/Eir, but only a fortnight now until the new season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Any update on Ligue 1 yet? In the absence of any news, would appear to be staying on BT/Eir, but only a fortnight now until the new season.

Rumours that Eleven Sports might have snatched it but nothing confirmed as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Virgin Media Uk customers can watch Premier Sports at no extra cost.

http://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-tv-customers-to-get-premier-sports-at-no-extra-cost.html

Its a pity the Irish get shafted as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

mikeym wrote: »

http://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-tv-customers-to-get-premier-sports-at-no-extra-cost.html

Worth noting that was a sop after losing the UKTV channels.

They are not competing for broadband customers in the UK. Showing the same programmes they may be, but Premier Sports in the UK is just one among many content providers (and one which is relatively unimportant to the majority of UK customers, even sports fans, because, and I can’t stress this strongly enough - they don’t show any domestic English sport, unless you count the teams down in the second division of rugby league that are playing Toronto).

Eir Sport however - it’s owned by the biggest broadband provider in the country and one that regards Virgin Media as the biggest threat to that position.

I'm sure the Virgin UK viewers will feel shafted to see Virgin in Ireland will have every Champions League and Europa League game live.

Besides Premier Sport is a channel for UK audiences only so even if it wasn't the same schedule as Eir Sport 2 you'd never see it on an Irish EPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

ALSO eir sport ahve significantly more on offfer then premier sports, you get the entire BT sports pack! So all the rugby and European soccer.. with premier sports, you get pro14 and not much else..

Advertisement