Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

icdg wrote: »
    Swapped for eligible customers.

Why do they retain the SD feed? Everyone who signs up for eir sports (or gets it with their broadband) gets HD, regardless of their sky package. So what benefit is there in having SD versions of the same channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Swapped for eligible customers.

Could you explain how that works?
    I have no knowledge of it at all, except a couple of references in this thread.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

dulpit wrote: »
    Why do they retain the SD feed? Everyone who signs up for eir sports (or gets it with their broadband) gets HD, regardless of their sky package. So what benefit is there in having SD versions of the same channels?

Not everyone has a HD box. There are still people with SD boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Eir Sports 1 HD still not in Sports HD epg placings for N.Ireland but lower down epg.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Could you explain how that works?
    I have no knowledge of it at all, except a couple of references in this thread.
    Thanks.

Both the SD and HD versions of every channel are on the EPG. By default, the SD version occupies the more prominent position. However if the customer has HD capable equipment and is subscribed to the HD version, then a “swap” is implemented, so that the HD channel moves to the more prominent position and the SD channel to the less prominent position.

HD swap will usually only be implemented for non Sky-owned channels where the HD and SD versions of the channel are identical. This effects Irish customers more than U.K. customers because there are some channels that have Irish advertisements in SD but not HD. Broadcasters can ask that it be done anyway but, you know, money. Also there are sone odd cases like Box Nation where the HD channel is actually a different channel with a different schedule, not a simulcast. No HD swap in that case.

• Advertisement

Both the SD and HD versions of every channel are on the EPG. By default, the SD version occupies the more prominent position. However if the customer has HD capable equipment and is subscribed to the HD version, then a “swap” is implemented, so that the HD channel moves to the more prominent position and the SD channel to the less prominent position.

HD swap will usually only be implemented for non Sky-owned channels where the HD and SD versions of the channel are identical. This effects Irish customers more than U.K. customers because there are some channels that have Irish advertisements in SD but not HD. Broadcasters can ask that it be done anyway but, you know, money. Also there are sone odd cases like Box Nation where the HD channel is actually a different channel with a different schedule, not a simulcast. No HD swap in that case.

Thanks for the explanation. Appreciated.

I noticed while checking the Sky+HD box with an 'eir sports' card, this morning, that indeed 421 is now HD and 873 is SD, both showing eir Sport 1.

Swap accomplished it seems.

EDIT: This has made things much simpler for those of us using the eir Sport card, as the six HD channels are now grouped together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

You can probably break it down as follows:
    • Soccer fan (Premier League): Get Sky Sports
    • Soccer fan (Champions League/Europa League): Get Eir Sports (or Virgin Media)
    • Soccer fan (European Leagues): Get Eleven Sports
    • Rugby/Ice Hockey/Baseball fan: Get Eir Sports
    • GAA fan (National League): Get Eir Sports
    • GAA fan (all championship matches): Get Sky Sports
    • American Football (NFL): Get Sky Sports
    • American Football (College): Get Eir Sports
    • Golf fan (except the USPGA): Get Sky Sports
    • Golf fan (but just the USPGA): Get Eleven Sports
    • Cricket fan: Get Sky Sports
    [sarcasm]So it's simple really to make a decision...[/sarcasm]

And now there are rumours over on Digital Spy, that Eurosport are thinking about going it alone and charging £4.99 per month for their channels. Unbelievable, where do all these channels think people can get the money from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

galtee boy wrote: »
    And now there are rumours over on Digital Spy, that Eurosport are thinking about going it alone and charging £4.99 per month for their channels. Unbelievable, where do all these channels think people can get the money from ?

They are going nowhere fast. I got a subscription for €2.99 for the year. Not worth anymore unless you are big into cycling and tour de france is covered live on itv4 and highlights of tours there too.
    I can see a lot of stuff coming back to free to air. Those fta broadcasters just need to have dedicated sports channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Also SD recordings take up less space then HD recordings.

The main reason is as a poster a while back said, that there are still people out there who don’t have HD equipment.

The other reason, not applicable to eir Sport nowadays but definitely to Sky’s own packages - is that some people have HD equipment but don’t pay the extra charge (by taking Sky Box Sets) for the HD service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Just trying to get my head around eir premier and freesports

Eir sport 2 - premier sport 1 with some listing changes

Eir sport 1- premier sport 2 with some listing changes

Has freesports gone hd?

What is transponder number for premier sports 2 / at the moment I have premier sports 2 tuned in but sd only

Roi sky box
    Thanks

Friday at 6.30pm listing
    Premier 1 rangers v Maribor
    Premier 2 NASCAR
    Eir 1 darts
    Eir2 rangers v Maribor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

eir Sport 1 is the old Setanta Ireland

eir Sport 2 is Premier Sports 1 with GAA etc. blocked in ROI - Premier Sports 1 logo only appears during live sport

Premier Sports 2 is SD only - 11626 V 22000 5/6 DVB-S QPSK

Free Sports is SD only - 11426 V 27500 5/6 DVB-S QPSK - HD version looks like its launch has been postponed unfortunately

I have both Premier Sport channels as well as Eir Sports 1 on my Sky epg and Eir Sports 2 manually tuned in. Eir Sports 1 is entirely different in programmes from Premier 2 from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Premier 1 SD/HD in UK is Eir Sport 2 mostly with some differences in broadcasts on occasions

Premier 2 (SD only) in UK broadcasts some programmes is what you see on Eir sports 1 but other times is completely different programmes

The only differences between eir Sport 2 and Premier Sports 1, on satellite at least, are accomplished through use of the conditional access system. The blocked programmes on eir Sport 1 are all GAA related - the entire Championship coverage (which afaik is just relays of RTE’s The Sunday Game anyway) and Sunday (but not Saturday) Allianz League games.

The blocked programmes on Premier Sports were football related, Champions League, Europa League, and FA Cup coverage. However eir Sport have lost rights to the Champions League and Europa League in their own right. The games will still be broadcast on the eir Sport pack, but only on BT channels. That means less blocking for Premier Sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

Free Sports is SD only - 11426 V 27500 5/6 DVB-S QPSK - HD version looks like its launch has been postponed unfortunately

Are there any plans to launch FreeSports on the Sky epg?

It is on the Sky EPG, but only in the UK. I’m pretty sure there would be clauses in the agreements between eir and Premier Sports that would prohibit the launch of any Premier Sports channels in Ireland.

Meanwhile, one for Celtic fans, but their Europa League play off round tie has been picked up by eir/Premier for airing tomorrow evening.

It’s an indictment of the changes to the UEFA Champions League when the Europa League play off round (unlike the Champions League, not part of the central TV rights sale) is attracting more interest.

Interesting the game is not being showed on eitsport at the moment
    Eirsport 1 is showing golf central
    Eirsport 2 polish speedway

I have premier 1 hd in my other channels and I am watching the Celtic game now

Game is on in sd on premier 2
    Roi box in cork

Apologies polish speedway not on eir 2 even though epg saying that - Celtic match on

kooga wrote: »
    Interesting the game is not being showed on eitsport at the moment
    Eirsport 1 is showing golf central
    Eirsport 2 polish speedway

I have premier 1 hd in my other channels and I am watching the Celtic game now

Game is on in sd on premier 2
    Roi box in cork

Apologies polish speedway not on eir 2 even though epg saying that - Celtic match on

Was Premier Sport showing the same match on both its channels? If so has this happened before?

• Advertisement

Was Premier Sport showing the same match on both its channels? If so has this happened before?

Yes - I don't know

Just got a multiroom box activated- all channels came through except the hd versions of bt sport - sd versions are viewable

On the bt hd channels it tells me the card and box need to be paired

I am not a sky subscriber just using a multiroom box for the eir sports pack

Any ideas? As strange some channels coming through
    Thank you

Just got a multiroom box activated- all channels came through except the hd versions of bt sport - sd versions are viewable

Thank you

I believe I read a similar post recently, and the advice was to contact eir/setanta to get the matter resolved.

I believe I read a similar post recently, and the advice was to contact eir/setanta to get the matter resolved.
    Thanks rang them again no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Thank you

Is it a black sky hd box or a white sky box?

The old white ones dont have a Hdmi slot.

Or else Ring sky and try and pair the card to the box.

Thank you

If you can, connect the box with a network cable to your broadband router. Then access the installer menus (services 0 0 1 select) and go to the new install menu and do a callback. Should pair the card.

Thank you

I meant to ask but forgot of course :( ....... what functions has a multiroom box got that a non-multiroom box does not, when both used without Sky subscription?
    (I don't even know what a Sky multiroom box is TBH)

Before Sky Q - there was no such thing specifically as a “multi room box” - though usually, when you requested more than one box in a household, they’d give you a Sky HD (rather than Sky+HD) box as the second box - this typically had no PVR or no wifi. Since PVR and on demand are disabled without a Sky subscription anyway, it functions as a FTA receiver in the same way as a Sky+HD box does.

With Sky Q, there are “Sky Q mini” boxes used for multiroom - these have no satellite tuner, are effectively slaved to the main Sky Q box, and are useless without a Sky subscription (and Sky will ask for them back, because Sky Q customers rent their equipment).

Before Sky Q - there was no such thing specifically as a “multi room box” - though usually, when you requested more than one box in a household, they’d give you a Sky HD (rather than Sky+HD) box as the second box - this typically had no PVR or no wifi. Since PVR and on demand are disabled without a Sky subscription anyway, it functions as a FTA receiver in the same way as a Sky+HD box does.

With Sky Q, there are “Sky Q mini” boxes used for multiroom - these have no satellite tuner, are effectively slaved to the main Sky Q box, and are useless without a Sky subscription (and Sky will ask for them back, because Sky Q customers rent their equipment).

So there is no such thing as a 'multi-room' box from Sky (except for Sky Q of course).
    Glad it was not my failing memory at fault :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭decor58

I meant to ask but forgot of course ....... what functions has a multiroom box got that a non-multiroom box does not, when both used without Sky subscription? (I don't even know what a Sky multiroom box is TBH)

The Sky drx595 is generally referred to as a multiroom box, no hdd, small compact HD receiver, available since 2011 or thereabouts.

Advertisement