Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Will Sky put them on the Now TV package too?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Why would they need to be on virgin?

To satisfy the “near universal coverage” requirement. There’s too many Virgin homes in Dublin who can’t receive Saorview (because they’ve no aerial).

It won’t matter - it will be sublicensed to RTE, like the 2011 tournament was, or to Virgin One, like the 2007 tournament was.

As for the finer points of how Sky will package this deal, I wouldn’t expect to hear till next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I cannot see eir sport surviving after this news. Shame, getting BT Sport free with eir broadband was a great deal, even though I don't subscribe myself to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

One positive, Virgin Media customers should be able to get the BT channels again (albeit at a cost but at least the option should be there).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Virgin might not want to put money into eir's back pocket so rte is probably the best shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

joe_99 wrote: »
    Sky Sports and BT Sport will be one package.

Where was this announced? Sky will be selling BT Sports but this doesn't mean it will be part of the Sky Sports subscription.

One positive, Virgin Media customers should be able to get the BT channels again (albeit at a cost but at least the option should be there).

Not possible if it is an exclusive deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭PureIsle

icdg wrote: »
    31st July 2019 is when the deal runs out afaik.

Just on the RWC, eir will need to sublicense a pack including Ireland’s games to a qualifying broadcaster. Simply broadcasting them FTV won’t satisfy the requirement, they’d need to be on both Saorview and Virgin too.

Did not Setanta get away with this for years?
    Claiming FTA because they had programmes FTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

So the full list (for the moment) is ....
    • Sky Sports + BT Sport
    • Eir Sport
    • Virgin Sport
    • Eleven Sports
    • Discovery Golf
    • AmazonPrime (US Open Tennis)

PureIsle wrote: »
    Did not Setanta get away with this for years?
    Claiming FTA because they had programmes FTV.

For a different scheme - Sound and Vision.

That’s not going to wash for the RWC. If they thought it would, then they’d have done it the previous two times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,064 ✭✭✭✭flazio

eirman wrote: »
    So the full list (for the moment) is ....
    • Sky Sports + BT Sport
    • Eir Sport
    • Virgin Sport
    • Eleven Sports
    • Discovery Golf
    • AmazonPrime (US Open Tennis)
    What about Eurosport?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

To satisfy the “near universal coverage” requirement. There’s too many Virgin homes in Dublin who can’t receive Saorview (because they’ve no aerial).

It won’t matter - it will be sublicensed to RTE, like the 2011 tournament was, or to Virgin One, like the 2007 tournament was.

As for the finer points of how Sky will package this deal, I wouldn’t expect to hear till next summer.

So just one of virgin or rte will do and not your suggestion that it must be on virgin as well as saorview

I think we need to distinguish what you mean by “Virgin”.

I am suggesting that for a channel to be a qualifying broadcaster it would need to be on the Saorview, Sky, and Virgin TV (Cable) platforms, in order to meet the near universal coverage requirement.

I also think that debating this point is of purely academic interest. Eir will not be going on Saorview. Not their model. Not while charging €30 pm. They will be sublicensing a package, as they have previously done, to RTE, Virgin Media Television (the content arm), or TG4. That is how they will satisfy the requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Will Sky put them on the Now TV package too?

I would say so as part of the deal is that BT can offer Now TV in UK

If BT sport is part of a SKY Tv bundle it should also become available on Sky Go which is handy for sky customers

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I think we need to distinguish what you mean by “Virgin”.

I am suggesting that for a channel to be a qualifying broadcaster it would need to be on the Saorview, Sky, and Virgin TV (Cable) platforms, in order to meet the near universal coverage requirement.

I also think that debating this point is of purely academic interest. Eir will not be going on Saorview. Not their model. Not while charging €30 pm. They will be sublicensing a package, as they have previously done, to RTE, Virgin Media Television (the content arm), or TG4. That is how they will satisfy the requirement.

i think you introduced the confusion by mentioning Virgin! It's semantics really, the regulated FTA channels are all 'must offer/must carry' so they are on all platforms.

back on topic, will be interesting to see do Eir have access to the channels, i.e is the deal exclusive for transmitting the channels or exclusive to wholesale them. If wholesale them, maybe it will even our for Eir customers and they will be able to get Sky in HD also. Who knows, would say Eir customer service will be denying any change for next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭landofthetree

copacetic wrote: »
    i think you introduced the confusion by mentioning Virgin! It's semantics really, the regulated FTA channels are all 'must offer/must carry' so they are on all platforms.

back on topic, will be interesting to see do Eir have access to the channels, i.e is the deal exclusive for transmitting the channels or exclusive to wholesale them. If wholesale them, maybe it will even our for Eir customers and they will be able to get Sky in HD also. Who knows, would say Eir customer service will be denying any change for next few months.

Last August trying to get a straight answer from them about Seria A rights was fun!.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

from the 42
    Irish customers who have a TV subscription will gain access to both Sky Sports and BT Sports through a single package, or can purchase the BT Sport package on a standalone basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

bennyl10 wrote: »
    from the 42

You can bet your sweet life, that Sky Sports and BT Sports combined in the one Sky subscription, will cost a lot more than Sky Sports on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Really bad news for Eir customers. The free Eir Sport & BT Sport channels was a huge pull for them for Broadband

Can see alot of people cancelling Eir next summer, especially if VM or Siro is available in their area

FTA TV along with Now TV for BT & Sky Sports will probably be the cheapest offering for PL fans for next season

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Really bad news for Eir customers. The free Eir Sport & BT Sport channels was a huge pull for them for Broadband

Can see alot of people cancelling Eir next summer, especially if VM or Siro is available in their area

FTA TV along with Now TV for BT & Sky Sports will probably the cheapest offering for PL fans for next season

If eir pull the sports channels I will definitely be moving to another provider this time next year (or whenever they pull the channels if later).
    There are sufficient cheaper alternative providers on eir fibre most of whom have much better customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I wonder could we see Eir sport going down the Free Sport route and go FTV in Ireland - they are losing all Premier League games, Champions League games and F1.

There is not much left worth talking about at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

FTA TV along with Now TV for BT & Sky Sports will probably be the cheapest offering for PL fans for next season

https://www.btplc.com/news/#/pressreleases/sky-and-bt-extend-partnership-in-uk-and-ireland-2786026

No mention of BT Sport being available on Now TV, but hopefully it will be

irishfeen wrote: »
    I wonder could we see Eir sport going down the Free Sport route and go FTV in Ireland - they are losing all Premier League games, Champions League games and F1.

There is not much left worth talking about at all!

I'd be very surprised if they did that. More likely to see the price reduced similar to what Premier Sports costs in the UK which I believe is £10/month which currently is below €12.

Sky on its distribution plans: “would be open to having discussions with other platforms”.

Whatever that means i think its still very likely the free access that Eir BB subscribers currently get to the BT channels is over from next August.

https://www.the42.ie/sky-sports-bt-sports-ireland-deal-4315111-Oct2018/

I'd say you can expect to see the BT channels appear anywhere that Sky Sports are for an added cost of course.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I'd say you can expect to see the BT channels appear anywhere that Sky Sports are for an added cost of course.

Yep. Could remain on the Eir Vision platform for example, but no longer in the basic pack. Would be lumped in with SS or offered in a new pack on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

A massive blow for eir, certainly for anyone who wasn’t subscribing primarily for the rugby. (And for those who were - almost €30pm for the Pro14 alone is very steep).

So what can eir do? (The GAA championship is not up for grabs till 2022). The biggest hope for them now is to make that call (or walk across the room, rather) to their friends at Premier Sports and lock down the 3pm Premier League games and Amazon fixtures. And look at that price. The Pro14’s not a valuable enough property to get away with a €30 per month charge when Premier is offering it for a third of that price in GB.

And indeed, don’t rule eir selling the sports operation back to Premier if subscribers desert in numbers.

Don't know why anyone would rule this out. This is precisely what's going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

How much will Sky charge for Bt Sport?

€29.99?

Unless they give a discount if you subscribe to the Sports channels or they may offer it as a bonus channel like Espn (before Bt).

Sky are offering their sports channels for €39 p/m on Now TV.

They will have to price things carefully as some people may just ditch pay sports. If you are a rugby fan you will need eir sports, bt sports and sky sports to get all of the Ire/Irish club games.

Many will look to sky for this but if you have to add bt and eir to your sky sports package the cost will be significant.

Will people bother adding BT for the sake of 9 weekends at most especially with games on Virgin or C4.

The pro14 is valuable to eir as it is on for 9 months of the year. With GAA as well many might stick with eir.

Sky is a hard sell at the moment. There is talk though that they are keen to get the Champions League back.

• Advertisement

mikeym wrote: »
    How much will Sky charge for Bt Sport?

€29.99?

Unless they give a discount if you subscribe to the Sports channels or they may offer it as a bonus channel like Espn (before Bt).

I don’t think they’ll say until next July tbh.

Advertisement