Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,028 ✭✭✭✭muffler

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when eir reviews what accounts have been cancelled and cancel the eir/ bt sub on the sky box ?

I cancelled my while back and it still works but my neighbour cancelled 6 months ago and bt/eir is no longer active on his sky box

I’m wondering if there set dates each year they clear up the inactive eir / bt subs on sky

Thanks
    Just coming back to this point. My Eir contract ended on 11 November and the sports channels were turned off 2 days ago.

However I have a family member who has the sports channels for over 2 years now by way of a multi room box on another family member's account even though the latter had moved to Sky for a year in the middle of all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Schwanz wrote: »
    I'd say Eir will do a deal with Premier Sports for their 3pm kickoffs next season.

Eir will be under huge pressure to do a deal with Premier Sports for the 3pm Kick Offs.

Or else there will be hardly any exclusive content on the Eir Sport pack.

icdg wrote: »
    Well, we know this is happening at any rate:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/sky-agrees-deal-to-make-bt-sport-available-to-its-irish-subscribers-1.3681041%3fmode=amp

That to me is enough not to tie ones self into a deal with eir post 1st August 2019

I see the €299 annual payment option still has the 'BT sports channels included' text. I suppose it can for now, but considering if you signed up for this option, for example today, the last 4 months more than likely won't have BT for no extra charge. Are people potentially entitled to refunds here due eir's probable inability to honour this deal?

https://subscribe.eirsport.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I don't see how a refund would be possible for eir broadband customers as the sports pack was/is a free/no cost addition.

Whether or not it might be seen as substantially altering the broadband agreement (allowing for cancellation of agreement) if BT sports is replaced by Premier Sports, is a different question. I expect not, again because the Sports are a no-cost add-on pack and not an essential part of the broadband agreement.

I will say, it was solely because of the sports channels that I signed with eir. Without them I would have signed with another provider .... probably Airwire.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I don't see how a refund would be possible for eir broadband customers as the sports pack was/is a free/no cost addition.

Whether or not it might be seen as substantially altering the broadband agreement (allowing for cancellation of agreement) if BT sports is replaced by Premier Sports, is a different question. I expect not, again because the Sports are a no-cost add-on pack and not an essential part of the broadband agreement.

I will say, it was solely because of the sports channels that I signed with eir. Without them I would have signed with another provider .... probably Airwire.
    Misrepresentation is a fundamental breach of contract. If one can show inducement into the contract then you can rescind the contract (almost certainly not a case where damages could be claimed) - it's manifestly irrelevant whether the broadband agreement itself is still capable of being performed or whether a replacement service is provided (particularly where the replacement service is not capable of providing the same service - BT sport is not available on Premier Sports).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The billboards and posters for Eir clearly state at bottom that the contents of the Eir Sport pack are open to change, so I presume this covers them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I’d be surprised if that doesn’t happen given how close the two are.

In other news, apparently the Setanta Go website is gone for good, meaning those who pay the most expensive subscriptions to eir Sport don’t get any online player of any kind.
    hadn't been working for as few months before that.

dulpit wrote: »
    The billboards and posters for Eir clearly state at bottom that the contents of the Eir Sport pack are open to change, so I presume this covers them?
    It certainly protects them from damages but I suggest you have a look at their own T&Cs - c.4(c) outlines this exact issue.

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/terms/eir_sport.pdf

You certainly would not be able to rescind from the start of the contract (as they did actually provide the service for a period of time) but you can definitely end your contract during the term for this reason. I'd also suggest that eir would be on shaky footing where they induced people into the long-term contract on the basis of access to a product which they knew was not going to be provided (e.g. setantago.com)

It certainly protects them from damages but I suggest you have a look at their own T&Cs - c.4(c) outlines this exact issue.

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/terms/eir_sport.pdf

You certainly would not be able to rescind from the start of the contract (as they did actually provide the service for a period of time) but you can definitely end your contract during the term for this reason. I'd also suggest that eir would be on shaky footing where they induced people into the long-term contract on the basis of access to a product which they knew was not going to be provided (e.g. setantago.com)

I expect that eir's position would be that if they replaced BT with say Premier, then "a significant reduction in the total amount of programmes within the Service" would not apply, which means they would be covered by 4b "eir Sport can vary or withdraw any Channel and vary or withdraw the Option you have chosen"?

It's a headache though if you sign up for them via the Sky platform. I'd expect nobody now to go for the once off payment (€299) option. But if you did, I think there would be grounds for complaint since one would probably lose 4 out of the 7 channels from the pack on August 1st next. I think this would definitely allow one to cancel under section 4c as highlighted by Freudian Slippers above.
    (c) If such changes constitute a significant reduction in the total amount of programmes within the Service, or the level of service of your chosen Option, you may have a right to cancel the Contract under Condition 9(g) below.

Signing up on say the 1st January would cost one €224.93 (€15 connection fee included) until July 31st.

• Advertisement

My guess is they will refund people if/when BT is dropped, but are willing to accept that, because there will be a cohort of people who get annoyed but don't cancel.

I was a sky/setantago customer - they are being fine at the moment in processing my cancellation; I'm looking for an extra month refund as well as cancellation of my contract. It's not done done yet, but I'm very close (dealing with them by email which is also painfully slow).

Currently watching the Fulham/West ham match on Bt and the commentator said Bt will be showing UFC in 2019.

https://sport.bt.com/ufc/bt-sport-to-remain-the-exclusive-home-of-ufc-in-the-uk-and-ireland-after-signing-new-broadcast-rights-deal-S11364317648897

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

mikeym wrote: »
    Currently watching the Fulham/West ham match on Bt and the commentator said Bt will be showing UFC in 2019.

AFAIK this is related to financial woes that Eleven Sports (UK) are currently experiencing as they were expected to show it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

As I understand they signed a deal but with a condition that ElevenSports do a carriage deal with a traditional TV provider (is Sky or VM) that they failed to fulfil.

I mentioned the GAA sublicensing to RTE in a seperate thread, but hot on the heels, FreeSports (which is back on the Irish Sky EPG this week) has signed a deal to cover the Leinster Senior Schools Cup. Interesting because, notwithstanding the FAPL 3pm games (which will not be going on FreeSports!) this is the first time Premier Sports have, independently of eir Sport, acquired rights of specifically Irish interest.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/freesports-to-broadcast-eight-schools-senior-cup-games-in-2019/

No sign of any Live FA Cup Football on Eir Sport on the 25th/26th.

The Pro 12 and Allianz League dominates the schedule.

Am really surprised they are not taking up their option to show Arsenal v Manchester United. However, everyone who has eir Sport will almost certainly also have BBC One, so it’s only their own loss there. More concerning is the lack of a 3pm ROI fixture on the Saturday.

Just to note, they are showing Chelsea v Sheffield Wednesday live (another BBC One game) which is on in the odd Sunday 6pm KO slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Ive been pesterng the Virgin reps on their forum about BT Sport but needless to say they either know nothing or cant say anything.

Quite hopeful after reading the last few pages of this thread and discovering that Sky Ireland have bagged the rights to BT Sport from Eir from August 2019->

Im assuming that The Virgin channels incl their Sports channels being available on the Sky platform is a good sign that there will be a wholesale deal from Sky for Virgin to carry BT Sports as well as Sky Sports again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Wait, Virgin Sport is on Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

flazio wrote: »
    Wait, Virgin Sport is on Sky?

Wait....I might be wrong.....[heads off to google]

Looks like I'm wrong but tbh that doesnt preclude Virgin using those channels as small leverage to persuade Sky to offer them a reasonable wholesale deal on BT Sports much like Sky did with BT in the UK to get BT Sports on Sky in the first place where BT got Sky's NowTv in exchange for reasonable wholesale rates for BT Sports.

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic and the Virgin channels aint much of a carrot?

Calibos wrote: »
    Wait....I might be wrong.....[heads off to google]

Looks like I'm wrong but tbh that doesnt preclude Virgin using those channels as small leverage to persuade Sky to offer them a reasonable wholesale deal on BT Sports much like Sky did with BT in the UK to get BT Sports on Sky in the first place where BT got Sky's NowTv in exchange for reasonable wholesale rates for BT Sports.

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic and the Virgin channels aint much of a carrot?

What channels does Virgin have that are not already on satellite?

What channels does Virgin have that are not already on satellite?

Virgin Sports. But that channel doesn't have exclusive anything - it's mainly there for Champions League/Europa League matches (which are on BT already) and Nations League matches (I assume Sky had these?)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Calibos wrote: »
    tbh that doesnt preclude Virgin using those channels as small leverage to persuade Sky to offer them a reasonable wholesale deal on BT Sports much like Sky did with BT in the UK

Virgin Media Sport has nothing of interest to anybody apart from the Champions League and Europa League and these are already on BT Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

BT Sports will never be on Virgin Ireland as long as Sky Ireland has the exclusive rights to broadcast BT Sports in Ireland, Sky will use BT Sports to try and entice more customers to sign up to Sky, 0% chance of BT Sport turning up on Virgin here in Ireland..

I completely disagree on that front. I think there’s potential for VM to leverage their carriage of Sky’s channels to do a deal here in a way in which eir were evidentially unwilling or unable to do so. VM are still the second biggest pay TV provider in the country and there’s a lot of customers there to wholesale to.

I also think that the newly reduced eir Sport should consider both their wholesale and retail prices and also maybe what they lost when they gave up carriage for eir Sport 1 in the basic tier VM package and the extremely prominent EPG slot they had (which I don’t think they’ll ever get back). Keeping their alliance with Setanta/Premier is key. A newly constituted eir Sport pack consisting of eir Sport 1, Premier Sports 1&2 and FreeSports* could still be a marketable offering, particularly with 3pm Premier League kickoffs and the Pro14 to offer.

*Yes, I know FreeSports is FTA, They only need to market it as part of the pack rather than actually charge for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

I also think that the newly reduced eir Sport should consider both their wholesale and retail prices and also maybe what they lost when they gave up carriage for eir Sport 1 in the basic tier VM package and the extremely prominent EPG slot they had (which I don’t think they’ll ever get back). Keeping their alliance with Setanta/Premier is key. A newly constituted eir Sport pack consisting of eir Sport 1, Premier Sports 1&2 and FreeSports* could still be a marketable offering, particularly with 3pm Premier League kickoffs and the Pro14 to offer.

Once that 3pm EPL game is on that new Eir Sport pack then & only then will they be marketable imho.

Looking likely though I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    BT Sports will never be on Virgin Ireland as long as Sky Ireland has the exclusive rights to broadcast BT Sports in Ireland, Sky will use BT Sports to try and entice more customers to sign up to Sky, 0% chance of BT Sport turning up on Virgin here in Ireland..

I'd put a grand that BT are on VM next season.

The issue with VM was Eir Sport not BT themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Any word on why eir have sold the national league games to rte?

Advertisement