Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Acosta wrote: »
    If it's the same story as last time it will be the GAA match that is on SD and thereby only available on Sky. El Classico should be on Eir Sport 2 HD

My understanding was that the last time:

Eir Sport 2 HD on satellite: Serie A
    Eir Sport 2 SD on satellite: GAA
    Eir Sport 2 (HD & SD) on cable: GAA

At least, that’s what eir stated in their press release:

http://www.eirsport.ie/mayo-v-cavan-how-to-watch

One hopeful note is that the eir Sport social media team seem to have belatedly realised they have Serie A (though still not acknowledging La Liga).

http://twitter.com/eirsport/status/1098954327178264578?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Tried to tune this in on eirSport2 HD and got No Satellite Signal

but did tune it in on SD

Using Sky box with eir card.

Channel seems to be encrypted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,056 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What's the frequency for Premier sports 2.
    Have an Eir sub and want to watch the Connaught game.

11627 V 22k 5/6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

icdg wrote: »
    One hopeful note is that the eir Sport social media team seem to have belatedly realised they have Serie A (though still not acknowledging La Liga).

http://twitter.com/eirsport/status/1098954327178264578?s=21

Hallelujah, Eir Sport lives! Only took them a month to advertise they have one of the biggest leagues in the world. Now what's going to happen with La Liga?

Here was me thinking Premier Sports getting la Liga was a good thing, as it looks like a great platform, but then I realised it will only make the schedule on Eir Sport 1/2 even more cramped, and potentially less Serie A. The situation next Saturday is going to be telling (Rome Derby and Barca/Real, GAA & Pro14). How can they hope to exist with all that on only two channels? Like Acosta said, what is the point in having these two Eir Sport 'Xtra' 1 and 2 channels if they never use them?

Also, I know I'm slow to this, but I had held off on signing up with Premier Sports via the premierplayer.tv app until now, but then I realised that it's not actually available in Ireland ('Content is only available to view in the UK').

So, to summarise, Premier Sports are now the official Serie A AND La Liga rights holders for Ireland but... Premier Sports is not actually available in Ireland, neither their TV channels nor online, and the coverage is only available through a 'partnership' with Eir to show a certain, unknown (and previously unadvertised) amount of games, which lose priority on Eir's two channels to the likes of GAA, Pro14 and Nascar (yep, its already happened. Nascar!). Absolutely wonderful stuff. I just want to pay someone to watch Serie A but I can't.

Just to be fair, Premier Sports have to prioritise Pro14 too, because that’s the nature of the deal they signed with Celtic Rugby. Show every game. Granted they’ve three channels to do it instead of two. We’re already seeing complaints from long standing Premier Sports subscribers who are complaining about the sudden change in business model and what it means for NHL and NASCAR, though you have to say fair play to the company for taking the opportunity when it came up. But these sports, and the GAA were there first. The GAA has a really long standing relationship with Setanta for making its games available in the UK.

Anyway, what eir Sport are saying about La Liga:
    https://twitter.com/eirsport/status/1099087805068820480?s=21

Also worth noting that they have begun to promote Serie A on their homepage now:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Itv4 may show some of the games not shown by eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Acosta

I see that Free Sports have two Serie A matches this Sunday after they previously said they'd only be showing one match every weekend. I expect this will be a regular thing with Premier Sport having so much content all of a sudden. Not bad for those who don't pay any sports subscription to have some free to air la liga and serie a every weekend

Is Free Sports available in Ireland anywhere (don't have satellite)? Or online anywhere?

Also is Itv4 available on Eir TV? I don't think we get it anymore.

I'm seeing so many people on twitter (from Ireland) asking PremierSports how they can subscribe to their services as they are now the official rights holders for Serie A & La Liga in Ireland, yet not much of a response from them. 'Available through Eir TV' is the only half answer a couple of times when they first announced it, but there's definitely a lot of confusion about it and clearly something going on with PS/Eir. Surely PS are looking at other ways to sell their subscriptions here, they are the official rights holders so why wouldn't the premierplayer, for example, be available in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Roland27 wrote: »
    Is Free Sports available in Ireland anywhere (don't have satellite)? Or online anywhere?

Free Sports is on Sky and I think any Free View satellite provider that you're able to tune channels in.
    Looks like for fans of Serie A and La Liga these changes in provider are not so good unless you have Sky or another satellite service so you can access channels like Premier Sports 2, ITV4 and Free Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Only available from satellite, as far as I am aware, where it is Free to Air, so anyone with a sat dish pointed at the Astra Satellites can receive it.

I'm seeing so many people on twitter (from Ireland) asking PremierSports how they can subscribe to their services as they are now the official rights holders for Serie A & La Liga in Ireland, yet not much of a response from them. 'Available through Eir TV' is the only half answer a couple of times when they first announced it, but there's definitely a lot of confusion about it and clearly something going on with PS/Eir. Surely PS are looking at other ways to sell their subscriptions here, they are the official rights holders so why wouldn't the premierplayer, for example, be available in Ireland?

@roland27

Pemier sports can't be made available in Ireland as eir sport have the rights to the Pro14. Otherwise no one would subscribe to eir broadband.

This is another big win for the sky platform.

Ah, yes, that makes sense, thanks Tigerandahalf. Hopefully that will change though sometime soon, as Premier Sports look like the real deal and would be great to get here in Ireland. Either that or Eir get their act together and put together a proper package and channels to show all this new live content they have. At the moment its a disaster and neither company seem to know what's going on with it.
    Acosta wrote: »
    Free Sports is on Sky and I think any Free View satellite provider that you're able to tune channels in.
    Looks like for fans of Serie A and La Liga these changes in provider are not so good unless you have Sky or another satellite service so you can access channels like Premier Sports 2, ITV4 and Free Sports

Thanks. Yep, its not looking good at the moment if, like me, you have Eir Vision TV and not satellite. It sounds strange saying it as at least there is now live Serie A back on Irish TV, but its very limited and messed up in comparison to lots of live games Eleven Sports showed.

I wouldn’t state that so baldly- quite clearly the majority of Premier Sports programmes are available here either via eir Sport 2 or FreeSports. And there is still the question of what happens with those ROI only 3pm Premier League KOs, which Premier Sports (but not eir) have the rights to from August.

At the moment the sharing works because so many rights are shared between eir and Premier (UK&Ireland deals inherited from Setanta when they were both still in common ownership, and other deals done together like the Pro14). Obviously there is already blocking of programmes aimed only at the UK, like most of Premiers GAA rights (Sunday league games at the moment, but all championship games will be blocked). There’s also blocking of some Pro14 games where eir has elected to run coverage on eir Sport 1 and this extends over to the version of FreeSports on the Irish EPG, where all Pro14 coverage is blocked.

I think in the context where Premier Sports became available here in its own right, we’re looking probably at a scenario similar to the 2007-9 Setanta setup, with separate Irish versions of Premier Sports 1&2 (maybe even a “Premier Ireland”). In that scenario eir Sport 2 and Premier Sports would be two separately programmed channels. Of course be careful what you wish for - it’s likely to mean significantly higher subscription prices for those who want both.

I also still wouldn’t rule out Premier Sports buying back eir Sport after the RWC or even over the summer.

I also don’t think there’s going to be any resolution of this situation until Premier make clear how their ROI only Premier League 3pm games will be broadcast. I don’t see that being made clear until nearer the time, particularly if it’s through a renewed tie up with eir - because the last thing eir want is to invite on themselves any publicity over the loss of BT Sport. When that draws nearer, and if it’s going to be a renewed tie up, expect to hear about “the new eir Sport pack” if the marriage is sticking together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

No sd/hd split on sky box tonight premier 2 for edi v Cardiff and freesports for Ulster game all on other channels

Zero interest in GAA

Again tonight premier 1 saying technical problems with this channel rather than this programme is unavailable- same again last night

I wouldn’t state that so baldly- quite clearly the majority of Premier Sports programmes are available here either via eir Sport 2 or FreeSports. And there is still the question of what happens with those ROI only 3pm Premier League KOs, which Premier Sports (but not eir) have the rights to from August.

6 live Serie A games on PremierSports this weekend. On Eir Sports, there are two. (FreeSports is irrelevant as it's not available to Eir Vision TV subscribers). ElevenSports had every Serie A game available (most live), BT Sport showed on average 5 live games. Next week is the Rome Derby, one the biggest games of the season, yet it won't be on TV. Basically if your game is on a Saturday, its just tough and won't be shown as its way down the pecking order. And we have the actual Serie A/La Liga rights holders in PremierSports who are not actually allowed to sell to sell their platforms in Ireland. So I'm sorry to say, to me that most certainly all sounds pretty disastrous.

It's early days and yes it may change and there may be further developments, but in the meantime its just crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The Serie A feed is total cat - about the third or fourth time it's broken down during this match!

Yep same for me, continually cutting out and now just a black screen with logos saying 'Back Soon'. Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

Yep same for me, continually cutting out and now just a black screen with logos saying 'Back Soon'. Not good.

I had no problems earlier watching the Parma game.

• Advertisement

Yes the Parma-Napoli game was fine, no issues. Fiorentina-Inter gone completely, lots on twitter saying likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

It's most likely an issue with the Italian broadcast and not a Premier Sports problem.

as an aside I see ITV 4 will be showing one La Liga game on a sunday night

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-02-24/itv4-spanish-la-liga-deal-free-football/

I think the ITV4 deal has been mentioned a few times now, it’s not necessary to keep doing so

I think the ITV4 deal has been mentioned a few times now, it’s not necessary to keep doing so

Apologies I hadn't seen it on an earlier thread.

And they are promoting El Classico now, if not exactly shouting about it!

http://twitter.com/eirsport/status/1100077971002388481?s=21

On Saturday nights Allianz League coverage they were still promoting live coverage of Donegal v Armagh. Now the start time of that game was already shifted 15 minutes for live coverage of the Scottish Cup tie involving Celtic, so interesting to see what happens now. EPG not yet showing an SD/HD split.

So the arrangements for Saturday night now confirmed.

On satellite eir Sport 2 HD/SD split, El Classico in HD, Donegal v Armagh in SD.

On cable: Donegal v Armagh on eir Sport 2, El Classico on eir Sport Xtra 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They finally decide to use the xtra channels.

Nothing on the guide for the chromecast app.

It is becoming a poor service.
    They really need to improve their app and add a full catch up service.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    They finally decide to use the xtra channels.

Considering they haven't put anything else on the extra channels since they got access to Serie A and La Liga I wouldn't be too hopeful about them continuing to use them going forward. This is only because it's El Classico. And a meaningless one at that.They should be sticking the Rome derby on it too as it's only going to to available on satellite via Free Sports.

Advertisement