Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

Does Eir Sport have the rights / means to show the Rome Derby, as it's only on Free Sports and not either of the PremierSports channels? Eir on twitter have been fussy in saying they don't control the schedule of what they will be showing, making me think its only what's on PS1/2. The Derby also isn't scheduled to be shown on repeat either late on Sat or Sun morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Acosta

Roland27 wrote: »
    Does Eir Sport have the rights / means to show the Rome Derby, as it's only on Free Sports and not either of the PremierSports channels? Eir on twitter have been fussy in saying they don't control the schedule of what they will be showing, making me think its only what's on PS1/2. The Derby also isn't scheduled to be shown on repeat either late on Sat or Sun morning.

I may well be wrong on that, but as it's a glorified Premier Sports 3 I can't see what the issue would be? If there wasn't so much on at the same time this match would be on Premier Sports.
    I noticed a few weeks ago during a Serie A match while watching Eir on my phone that the Premier Sport logo on the top right of the screen was replaced with the Eir Sport logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Interesting, I see Eoin MvDevitt of Second Captains is hosting coverage of el classico:

https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/status/1101478765413257216

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The shot in that tweet is the eir Sport studio, of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

icdg wrote: »

Are the eir sports studios in Dublin owned by Premier then?

• Advertisement

Eir Sport is still played out by Setanta (as of course is Premier Sports), but I’m not sure if the studios are on Setanta’s premises on Princes Street South or at eir’s HSQ - I thought they had moved.

Here’s another tweet which shows the same set lit in blue for GAA.

https://twitter.com/eirsport/status/957282008065028096?s=21

The plot thickens.. I wonder are they priming Eoin for the 3pm kick offs next season?

I don’t think there’s any plot about it -they’ve already aired eir Sport coverage of the Pro14 of course when Irish teams have been at home.

McDevitt would be a good choice for the 3pms. There’s also Conor Morris who did them for most of Setanta’s last period with the rights, and of course Paul Dempsey for about 8 years before that.

I don’t think there’s any plot about it -they’ve already aired eir Sport coverage of the Pro14 of course when Irish teams have been at home.

McDevitt would be a good choice for the 3pms. There’s also Conor Morris who did them for most of Setanta’s last period with the rights, and of course Paul Dempsey for about 8 years before that.

Yeah there is, considering their luke warm reaction to getting access to the recent football rights acquired by Premier Sports. To go from barely acknowleging they have it to hosting the live panel is significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Acosta wrote: »

Yeah there is, considering their luke warm reaction to getting access to the recent football rights acquired by Premier Sports. To go from barely acknowleging they have it to hosting the live panel is significant.

Surely Eir have realised that they need the partnership with Premier now to survive as BT has gone to sky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Nothing on the guide for the chromecast app.

It is becoming a poor service.
    They really need to improve their app and add a full catch up service.

It wouldn't cast for me so I'm stuck with watching it on the iPad. Eir's help page lists only the standard channels as being castable.

Poor form to have the La Liga game in sd on the eir app.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

If Eir are going to integrate further into the Premier Sport coverage they really need a fully separate full time Eir sport 2 feed. Showing Premier 1 DOG and UK adverts during the Madrid game is silly. Showing the same live coverage or in studio presentation (Premier) is ok but at least have the Eir Sport 2 DOG on screen and run Irish adverts and Eir Sport promos. Possibly Premier Sport 1,2 and 3 in the future showing similar schedules where possible with separate Eir Sport 1,2 and 3 feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

Despite Eir finally highlighting Serie A on the website / promo shots, I have to say I found it strange there was complete silence from them yesterday about their live coverage of Napoli v Juventus. Here we have a top of the table clash between the two best teams in Serie A yet there was nothing from Eir, no promotion or tweeting about it (it was part of a double header with Atalanta v Fiorentina, itself a great game), no news or team line-ups or highlights. What is going on with them? They don't deserve Serie A the way they're carrying on.

Premier Sports also finally confirmed their App is not available to customers in Ireland.
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Surely Eir have realised that they need the partnership with Premier now to survive as BT has gone to sky.

What is the story with BT going to Sky, as in how will it effect the 'BT Sport Pack' which Eir offer, does anyone know? Nothing has been confirmed with it yet as to if they will be losing it?

So this is what we do know: BT’s press release (for some reason, Sky’s appears to be missing from their website):

https://www.btplc.com/news/index.htm#/pressreleases/sky-and-bt-extend-partnership-in-uk-and-ireland-2786026

Sky will take over from eir as BT Sport’s “exclusive distribution partner in Ireland” on August 1st and will be able to offer BT Sport on both a standalone and package basis across all Sky platforms.

What else it does it likely mean? That we don’t know. But we can conjecture. At least on satellite, and likely on all other platforms, BT Sport will likely cease to be part of the eir Sport pack. I cannot see Sky continuing to allow eir to sell BT Sport channels on satellite. They will want them to buy a Sky package. I would imagine there will be a BT Sport pack offered to Sky customers, like the Sky Sports package, and possibly also a combined Sky Sports & BT Sport pack.

On other platforms - it depends whether Sky will wholesale BT Sport to other platforms - they may decide not to, like they have done for Sky Atlantic and Sky Sports F1. I would be hopeful that wholesale deals will be done though, so you would be able to continue to get BT Sport through eir or Vodafone and perhaps even Virgin. Don’t expect it to remain free to eir broadband customers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Don’t expect it to remain free to eir broadband customers though.

No, that much is obvious.

My intention was to move from eir after the first year with free sports, to another provider .... but now it seems that I will be charged just as much for moving as I was for getting the original install done.

Moving goalposts yet again .....

In the uk now tv will be available on bt tv boxes so it is possible that bt will also make their content available on now tv. That would make it very handy to stream everything.

Of course eir sports is the outlier. Not many may sign up for it unless they are getting it free with the broadband.

I’d certainly consider “all Sky platforms” to imply that we’ll see BT Sport on Now TV here - but we’ll have to see what happens - I wouldn’t expect hard details on pricing etc until June/July,

The increasing attractiveness of Premier Sports will help eir Sport’s cause, if the relationship stays in place. Adding Premier Sports 2 and (on cable platforms) FreeSports would help greatly, and burying whatever hatchet they have with Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

I wonder going forward will BT Sport be a stand alone sub on the sky box or will you have to take basic tv to get BT Sport. The link to the press release doesn't say.

kooga wrote: »
    I wonder going forward will BT Sport be a stand alone sub on the sky box or will you have to take basic tv to get BT Sport. The link to the press release doesn't say.

I'd be surprised if you will get it on its own. The whole idea here should be to have as many people subscribing as possible.

If Now TV sports pass (sky and bt) was €50 p/m I would probably go for it. I could get eir sports free with my broadband.

I am currently paying €20 p/m for a now tv sports pass on a special offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

6 months deal for 30 I'd say in August for both packs on satellite

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

So this is what we do know: BT’s press release (for some reason, Sky’s appears to be missing from their website):

https://www.btplc.com/news/index.htm#/pressreleases/sky-and-bt-extend-partnership-in-uk-and-ireland-2786026

Sky will take over from eir as BT Sport’s “exclusive distribution partner in Ireland” on August 1st and will be able to offer BT Sport on both a standalone and package basis across all Sky platforms.

What else it does it likely mean? That we don’t know. But we can conjecture. At least on satellite, and likely on all other platforms, BT Sport will likely cease to be part of the eir Sport pack. I cannot see Sky continuing to allow eir to sell BT Sport channels on satellite. They will want them to buy a Sky package. I would imagine there will be a BT Sport pack offered to Sky customers, like the Sky Sports package, and possibly also a combined Sky Sports & BT Sport pack.

On other platforms - it depends whether Sky will wholesale BT Sport to other platforms - they may decide not to, like they have done for Sky Atlantic and Sky Sports F1. I would be hopeful that wholesale deals will be done though, so you would be able to continue to get BT Sport through eir or Vodafone and perhaps even Virgin. Don’t expect it to remain free to eir broadband customers though.

Why would 'even' Virgin be a surprise?

Didn't Sky have the rights to BT Sport up till a couple of years ago which they wholesaled to Virgin. I know this because I was subscribed to it on Virgin. Or am I confused with the whole Setanta premiership rights going to BT and it was a legacy from that deal/contract that gave me wholesale BT sport on Virgin and it had nothing to do with Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Calibos wrote: »
    Why would 'even' Virgin be a surprise?

Didn't Sky have the rights to BT Sport up till a couple of years ago which they wholesaled to Virgin. I know this because I was subscribed to it on Virgin. Or am I confused with the whole Setanta premiership rights going to BT and it was a legacy from that deal/contract that gave me wholesale BT sport on Virgin and it had nothing to do with Sky?

It had nothing to do with Sky.

No, Sky never had the rights to BT Sport.

However, BT Sport and eir Sport were available on Virgin until July 2016. This was inherited from Setanta which had been on Virgin and it’s predecessors from the day it launched. IIRC the change to eir Sport had only taken place a few weeks previously and Virgin never acknowledged the name change on its EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder will Sky offer BT to Sky broadband subscribers in the same way Eir is doing now to try and boost there own broadband sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I wonder will Sky offer BT to Sky broadband subscribers in the same way Eir is doing now to try and boost there own broadband sales.

I doubt that as they don't offer any of their own channels with their broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Unlikely as in the uk you mo longer get bt sport free on sky box if you are a B T broadband customer

To be honest we’ve been spoilt with the free eir sport pack for broadband customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

lertsnim wrote: »
    I doubt that as they don't offer any of their own channels with their broadband.

Agreed. Sky are unlikely to give away BT sport for free ahead of their own sports channels.

How much more do Sky think they can get away with charging for BT I wonder? If you consider they're losing the 3pm Saturday EPL rights but will make up for it by getting the BT Sport EPL rights. Plus Amazon will have some EPL rights next season too, including, if I recall correctly a couple of entire match day rights. Other than their EPL rights, all BT really have is Bundesliga, Ligue 1 and shared FA Cup rights with the BBC(which Eir has anyway).

If Eir and Premier do a deal and Sky try to screw us with prices, I'll probably stick with Eir and find another way to watch Bundesliga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,717 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I called Sky to cancel Sky Sports and they knocked the price down to 21 a month.

Advertisement