Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Acosta wrote: »
    How much more do Sky think they can get away with charging for BT I wonder? If you consider they're losing the 3pm Saturday EPL rights but will make up for it by getting the BT Sport EPL rights. Plus Amazon will have some EPL rights next season too, including, if I recall correctly a couple of entire match day rights. Other than their EPL rights, all BT really have is Bundesliga, Ligue 1 and shared FA Cup rights with the BBC(which Eir has anyway).

If Eir and Premier do a deal and Sky try to screw us with prices, I'll probably stick with Eir and find another way to watch Bundesliga.

Nobody knows how Sky will charge for BT Sport in this country. IMO BT Sport will be completely separate from a Sky Sports subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭fman

Also just a quick note, Amazon don't hold those rights in Ireland, those complete matchdays along with the 3pm games have gone to Premier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Acosta

lertsnim wrote: »
    Nobody knows how Sky will charge for BT Sport in this country. IMO BT Sport will be completely separate from a Sky Sports subscription.

I took from there press release that you'll be able to get them together in a bundle or separate...

Also, I forgot BT Sports champions league and Europa League rights in my last post which is significant now that most of games in Ireland are now only available if you have a Virgin Sport subscription.
    fman wrote: »
    Also just a quick note, Amazon don't hold those rights in Ireland, those complete matchdays along with the 3pm games have gone to Premier.

That's good. I didn't know that. Premier will need a red button the way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

Acosta wrote: »
    Other than their EPL rights, all BT really have is Bundesliga, Ligue 1 and shared FA Cup rights with the BBC(which Eir has anyway).

Have they still got European football next season?
    I can't get VM Sport - so my only way of watching (and having a choice of game) Champions Lge & Europa League is BT.

EDIT - didn't see your post above.

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    Have they still got European football next season?
    I can't get VM Sport - so my only way of watching (and having a choice of game) Champions Lge & Europa League is BT.

EDIT - didn't see your post above.

Think they have it until 2021. I read a while back that Sky were interested in trying to get the rights back after that but it could just be paper talk. The rights from 2021 on will be decided sometimes this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Just heard a radio add for Eir broadband, and the free sports pack. First time I’ve heard a “channel line up subject to change” statement. Though it could have been always present, they maybe preparing for the loss of BT from the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

medoc wrote: »
    Just heard a radio add for Eir broadband, and the free sports pack. First time I’ve heard a “channel line up subject to change” statement. Though it could have been always present, they maybe preparing for the loss of BT from the pack.

I've seen it on billboards/etc, but I think the disclaimer on radio/tv ads is relatively recent.

Premier Sports joining the Sky "family".

https://www.the42.ie/premier-league-tv-rights-in-ireland-4536717-Mar2019/

EDIT - Just noticed Bundesliga & La Liga are not included in the article. Are next seasons rights still up for grabs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Sounds like the death-knell for Eir Sports so? Would they have enough rights on their own to cover the 2 channels if you exclude Premier Sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

dulpit wrote: »
    Sounds like the death-knell for Eir Sports so? Would they have enough rights on their own to cover the 2 channels if you exclude Premier Sports?

Talking about this on another thread. I presume eir sports will still have the pro14 with premier blocked on sky for pro14 games.

• Advertisement

That's pretty much the end of the Eir Sports pack I guess. Being an Eir customer it was really handy to be able to use their app without it taking any data off me. Ah well..It was nice was it lasted. Whatever happens from August it's going to be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,173 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's not looking very good for the consumer, sky going to screw customers big time

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Shero1985

Any idea from when Eir broadband customers will lose the free access to BT Sport?

Shero1985 wrote: »
    Any idea from when Eir broadband customers will lose the free access to BT Sport?

Almost certainly when their contract with BT expires in August.

I think in many ways this is a good thing. All content on the sky platform. It may also be possible to stream everything through Now tv which could be a huge plus for people who can't put up a sky dish.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The end of an era then. Wonder how happy eir Sport will be continuing what is left of their relationship with Setanta with this announcement. They are still playing out eir Sport and co-operating in relation to the televising of the Pro14.

Indeed, without access to Premier Sports content, what is eir Sport reduced down to? Pro 14 is their only major “year round” content, along with the League of Ireland (but only half the televised matches), the Allianz Leagues (less than two months long), Wimbledon (two weeks), Roland Garros (ditto), The Masters (one weekend) some ladies and underage football, some club GAA (but they got RTE to take a chunk of that off their hands). They won’t get away charging €30pm month for a load of stuff most of which isn’t exclusive or is shared rights.

Hard to know what is going on. Is there a complete split between eir and premier.

Eir sports were already selling their rights to the gaa league games to rte. Is there a financial issue I wonder.

It won’t even quite be a complete split. There’ll still be some rights shared - Pro14, Allianz League GAA, and the League of Ireland. However I’d expect eir Sport 2 and Premier Sports 1 to become separately programmed channels now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

It's bye bye Eir pack for me in May then.

icdg wrote: »
    It won’t even quite be a complete split. There’ll still be some rights shared - Pro14, Allianz League GAA, and the League of Ireland. However I’d expect eir Sport 2 and Premier Sports 1 to become separately programmed channels now.

I should clarify though, that when I say “shared”, I mean eir Sport will have the rights to these sports in Ireland and Premier Sports in the UK, ie the UK and Irish rights will now be split.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Headshot wrote: »
    It's not looking very good for the consumer, sky going to screw customers big time

I shudder to think, what the monthly subscription for all the Sky Sports, BT Sports, eir Sport and Premier Sports channels will cost on the Sky platform ? Sky Sports alone, currently costs €40 per month ( full price without deals/discount etc ), at a guess, €70 per month ?

• Advertisement

That’s what it costs now for Sky Sports + eir Sport. I’d expect it to be much more. At a guide, Premier Sports is £10pm in the UK and I’d expect a similar price here (no Pro14 or GAA, but with FAPL 3pms). Meanwhile harder to price BT Sport because there’s a whole pile of people eligible for discounts, but the full price is £29.99 pm (which makes eir Sport’s €30pm for eir/BT/Premier actually look a really good deal, from one perspective).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

I'm going to go with an intro price for the 3 packs for 50 euro for 6 months in August.

Normal price 79.99 I'd say but it really can't be 100 or they won't flog it

Schwanz wrote: »
    It's bye bye Eir pack for me in May then.

Perfect timing for me - my current offer with Eir expires at the end of May.
    I usually email them at the beginning of the month to give my cancellation notice and they offer me €15.99 for another two months.

I wonder what they'll offer when I email them this time round?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I didnt expect Premier to do an exclusive deal with Sky.

I always thought they would have partnered up with Eir.

Worrying times for Eir and we have to wait and see how much Premier Sports & Bt will cost potential Irish subscribers.

When Eir bought the Setanta Irish operation they werent expecting Premier Sports to buy exclusive content for the Irish market aswell as La Liga and Serie A Rights And partner up with their rival.

I always thought it was strange that eir and premier had separate studio lineups for the 1 game, e.g. a Leinster Cardiff game would have the Tommy Bowe led eir studio plus the Welsh had their own. It made no sense. Of course if they are going to split it makes more sense.

It would make sense for eir sports to launch on the saorview platform.

Sky will surely offer a sweet broadband/tv/sports deal now. They could gain a huge amount of customers by pricing it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Can't say I feel sorry for Eir Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

lertsnim wrote: »
    Can't say I feel sorry for Eir Sport.

I dont really care for Eir Sport either...its the 1000s of people that have to pay more each month to watch the same sport they were getting for free with broadband, whilst sky think its more convenient having it under the same subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    Premier Sports joining the Sky "family".

https://www.the42.ie/premier-league-tv-rights-in-ireland-4536717-Mar2019/

EDIT - Just noticed Bundesliga & La Liga are not included in the article. Are next seasons rights still up for grabs?
    Wonder if that means they will be available on NowTV?

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    I dont really care for Eir Sport either...its the 1000s of people that have to pay more each month to watch the same sport they were getting for free with broadband, whilst sky think its more convenient having it under the same subscription.

More convenient for Sky perhaps, though the Irish Times article does raise hopes that a wholesale will be agreed which could bring these channels back to VM and keep them on eir Vision and Vodafone.

Just re La Liga, while I’m not sure it was ever confirmed, there’s some suggestion that the deals with Premier Sports and ITV, like the renegotiated Eleven Sports deal, are for the remainder of this season only. The Bundesliga is with BT until May 2021.

• Advertisement

Will be interesting to see how they price it. A Bt Sport/Premier Sport pack alone would get you a lot of football.

Advertisement