Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Hate wrestling but no doubt that's a big coup for BT there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,717 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Schwanz wrote: »
    Hate wrestling but no doubt that's a big coup for BT there.

Huge yeah. More likely to get kids watching UFC too so I'd say Dana is happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,583 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Anyone think Virgin Media will be able to offer BT Sport channels as part of an existing Sky package, or is that fanciful?

I saw an article from Balls.ie last year saying "Sky is open to discussions with a range of platforms - including eir and Virgin Media - regarding the BT channels".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I cant see Virgin Media carrying BT Sport channels as long as Virgin Media Sport has champions league and europa league games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Delta2113 wrote: »
    I cant see Virgin Media carrying BT Sport channels as long as Virgin Media Sport has champions league and europa league games.

Yes. Would completely devalue their sports channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

BT no longer free on Eir from August 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    BT no longer free on Eir from August 1st

Confirmed? Or just assumed?

dulpit wrote: »
    Confirmed? Or just assumed?

confirmed.

should be announced next few hours I would say.

no impact to your eir contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

confirmed.

Surely they should be offering reductions if customers will have six fewer channels?

confirmed.

Insider knowledge?

• Advertisement

Surely they should be offering reductions if customers will have six fewer channels?

My guess is their €35 a month offer will hang around for a while...

Nah happens all the time, when VM lost eir sport it was the same,

covered by their ts and cs so anyone in a contract (even if you signed up purely for the basis of bt) you will remain in contract

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Nah happens all the time, when VM lost eir sport it was the same,

covered by their ts and cs so anyone in a contract (even if you signed up purely for the basis of bt) you will remain in contract

My contract is up the 1st Aug so bye bye Eir. At least I’ll have an excuse to go for a few pints when the national leagues are on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

in contract till august 19th time to shop around - still might be cheaper to stay with them as Eir Sport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Confirmed to me today by Sky loyalty rep who told me that my BT channels will go blank on August 1. She said that sky sports subscribers will be offered a special rate for BT channels. She was unable to give me any price details.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

dulpit wrote: »
    Insider knowledge?

Hardly, it’s been public knowledge for months that Sky are taking over distribution of BT Sport in Ireland.

The best eir would have been able to do is agree a deal with Sky to wholesale BT Sport to eir Vision customers, they were never going to be able to continue to offer them on satellite in competition with Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Acosta

With only a month to go I'm guessing there will be wall to wall advertising from Sky throughout July.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Full details here - Eir Sports 2 remains (still with Premier Sports content?) and FreeSports added, which suggests it would retain access to Serie A and La Liga.

https://www.bonkers.ie/blog/broadband-phone/bt-sport-espn-and-box-nation-to-be-pulled-from-eir-sport-pack/?utm_campaign=broadband&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

According to that link you will be able to pay to add BT sports to eir sports.

From that story it appears some class of a wholesale deal has been done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Full details here - Eir Sports 2 remains (still with Premier Sports content?) and FreeSports added, which suggests it would retain access to Serie A and La Liga.

https://www.bonkers.ie/blog/broadband-phone/bt-sport-espn-and-box-nation-to-be-pulled-from-eir-sport-pack/?utm_campaign=broadband&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

They're losing premier sports too afaik

They are.

Just to be aware as well, La Liga currently has no UK TV contract for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

According to that link you will be able to pay to add BT sports to eir sports.

If like Sky Sports on eir, it will only be standard def, a complete no no, sports has got to be in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

American sports fans will also lose free access to ESPN, which will be a bane for those who enjoy NFL, NHL, and NBA coverage.

Bt Dont have any rights to the NFL,NHL or the NBA.

To be clear that’s a quote from the Bonkers article, and it’s, er, bonkers that they missed out on the one US pro league BT ESPN does have (MLB). Makes you doubt the accuracy of some of the other detail in the article given it hasn’t been reported in this detail anywhere else yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

Full details here - Eir Sports 2 remains (still with Premier Sports content?) and FreeSports added

So FREEsports won't be free anymore?

I think it’s probably best to wait for the official announcement now, because as we’ve seen that article contains inaccuracies and is unclear in other respects.

Any effect on FreeSports would just be on the already encrypted ROI version, not the FTA UK version.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Confirmed in an email from Eir just there that BT Sports will no longer be available as part of the eir sport pack from August 1st. Sneakily snuck in at the end of a paragraph about how all the Rugby World Cup games will be available on eir sport blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

icdg wrote: »
    I think it’s probably best to wait for the official announcement now, because as we’ve seen that article contains inaccuracies and is unclear in other respects.

Any effect on FreeSports would just be on the already encrypted ROI version, not the FTA UK version.

I didn't know Freesports here was encrypted. I'm subscribed to eir sport as a Sky customer and have FreeSports. I didn't know it was part of the pack - I thought it was just free-to-air.

• Advertisement

The version on the ROI EPG is encrypted for the sole purpose of allowing them to block Pro14 content which Premier Sports has UK but not Irish rights for. Yes, easily circumvented by tuning in the UK version.

Meanwhile, with eir now having informed subscribers that BT Sport is no longer part of the eir Sport pack, their customer service team are saying on a Twitter that a wholesale deal has been done to offer BT Sport to eir Vision customers.

Advertisement