Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

With all my usual discounts included, I'll be saving €6 a month now - compared to when eir were supplying the channels.

I'll be losing Eir Sport 1 & Boxnation but gaining Premier Sport 2 on the EPG.
    I also won't have to be contacting eir every two months to renew a discount.

Overall I'm quite happy with the pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Great price for the pack it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Schwanz wrote: »

It is a great price for soccer followers.
    Rugby followers are the big losers. Content now split between 2 providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭moshea

So, like a fair number of people, I'm a sky sports customer, who has BT via the Eir Sports Pack (costing about 30 quid a month on top).

With the new offer, it seems a no-brainer to cancel my eir sports pack, and take BT/Premier direct from Sky, as even without the discount €20 is better than €30

Only bit i'm unsure about is the Eir Sports Channel itself. Eir Sports 2 is Premier Sports 1, so I'll get to keep that.

But what of eir sports 1? Thats is own channel yeah? do we think that'll survive in perpetuity, or are its days numbered? I'm mostly concerned about what'll happen the few GAA games of note which are currently on Eir Sports 1 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Schwanz wrote: »

Great price? 129quid a month for everything (excluding discounts) that's extortionate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

That's a fair comment.

I'm only interested in footy so you can see where I'm coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bugsyb4

Quick question have Eir released anything yet to say if can get BT Sports as an add on or have I missed this in above thread?

Have everything with Eir (TV, mobile, landline and internet) and tied into a contract until Feb so just want to see what their pricing plan is going to be as want to get BT and Premier if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,717 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Will be the same for soccer fans in a few months with Amazon. And UFC was going to Eleven briefly, they still have La Liga too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

The Nal wrote: »
    Will be the same for soccer fans in a few months with Amazon. And UFC was going to Eleven briefly, they still have La Liga too.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

The Nal wrote: »

The Amazon games will be shown on Premier Sports in Ireland.

• Advertisement

bugsyb4 wrote: »
    Quick question have Eir released anything yet to say if can get BT Sports as an add on or have I missed this in above thread?

Have everything with Eir (TV, mobile, landline and internet) and tied into a contract until Feb so just want to see what their pricing plan is going to be as want to get BT and Premier if possible.

They've said they'll be doing something but haven't released prices yet, wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting to see if its feasible to undercut sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,025 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The sport extra pack from Sky will suit some people and not others. If you're a Sky customer already then great, you will pay a tenner extra for the first 6 months and €20 extra after that.

But a lot of people are forgetting, especially non Sky customers, if you are only interested in Sports then you're not going to get the existing sports pack for €20 - €40 and the sports extra pack for another €10 - €20 but you will pay an additional €32 a month for the basic TV pack.

The prices quoted or queried above/earlier are indeed correct. It will cost €100 a month (full price) to get Sky TV, Sky Sports, Sky Sports Extra and HD

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    The Amazon games will be shown on Premier Sports in Ireland.
    Not worth talking about. I think they have the rights to matches on 2 days in December....Im open to correction on that but its only a handful of games in any event

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

muffler wrote: »
    The sport extra pack from Sky will suit some people and not others. If you're a Sky customer already then great, you will pay a tenner extra for the first 6 months and €20 extra after that.

That's incorrect. You not only have to be a Sky TV customer, you have to already have Sky Sports to get Sky Extra for €10 for the first 6 months and €20 extra after that. If you just have the basic Sky TV package without Sky Sports, you pay €17 for the first 6 months, and then €34 a month after that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

muffler wrote: »
    Not worth talking about. I think they have the rights to matches on 2 days in December....Im open to correction on that but its only a handful of games in any event

Is it not 10 games from gameweek 15 and 10 games from Stephens Day, 20 altogether?

• Administrators Posts: 53,735 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I subscribed to Sky Sports and Eir Sports last year, and Eir was 30 quid on top of Sky.

If Eir drop their price to a tenner, I'll be no worse off financially if I subscribe to all 3, and have the same content.

30 quid a month for Eir's new offering is bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Infoanon

awec wrote: »
    I subscribed to Sky Sports and Eir Sports last year, and Eir was 30 quid on top of Sky.

If Eir drop their price to a tenner, I'll be no worse off financially if I subscribe to all 3, and have the same content.

30 quid a month for Eir's new offering is bananas.
    30 a month keeps getting quoted but the actual annual standard cost was 269 ie 22.42 a month , a 91 euro annual difference.
    That places a value of 2.42 pm on Eirsports, Box nation and HD !

Eir will have to drop the price or imho risk going out of business

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭agoodusername

So if the sums are right, to get sky sports, bt and premier with hd you are talking about €100.

Sky tv basic + hd + sky sports = €80 (on their site).
    Bt/Premier €20

You then have to add on eir sports which presumably will be about €20 p/m.

So possibly €120 for everything.

They have reductions for the first 6 months.

I really think Sky need to ditch contracts. Tying people in is a huge turn off especially in the age of netflix, etc.
    A simple app where you can cancel/sign up instantly would be a big attraction. Charge the person the full month if they watch for any time in that month.

It is the ringing up of agents that would be very tiresome. People might not want all the discounts if they could cancel/sign up at the touch of a button.

Is there any mention of just signing up for bt/premier without any Sky content?

I see they mention €34 (€17 for 6 months) for non sky sports subscribers. It seems you can't get bt/premier on its own without any sky content.

Now tv (including bt) or I won't be hooked.
    Now Tv?
    if you wait for the deals it's normally €20 a month for 3 months or so. No idea what the story will be with BT Sports with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭agoodusername

So if the sums are right, to get sky sports, bt and premier with hd you are talking about €100.

Sky tv basic + hd + sky sports = €80 (on their site).
    Bt/Premier €20

You then have to add on eir sports which presumably will be about €20 p/m.

So possibly €120 for everything.

They have reductions for the first 6 months.

I really think Sky need to ditch contracts. Tying people in is a huge turn off especially in the age of netflix, etc.
    A simple app where you can cancel/sign up instantly would be a big attraction. Charge the person the full month if they watch for any time in that month.

It is the ringing up of agents that would be very tiresome. People might not want all the discounts if they could cancel/sign up at the touch of a button.

Is there any mention of just signing up for bt/premier without any Sky content?

I see they mention €34 (€17 for 6 months) for non sky sports subscribers. It seems you can't get bt/premier on its own without any sky content.

Now tv (including bt) or I won't be hooked.
    Now Tv?
    if you wait for the deals it's normally €20 a month for 3 months or so. No idea what the story will be with BT Sports with it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Does anyone have an idea about the multi room package? I have Eir Sport package on 2 sky boxes for €29 a month, will Sky’s new offer of €20 cover the same boxes? Also, I presume we’ll get the catch up & BT Boxsets on Sky now?

• Advertisement

Now Tv?

Someone was told on the Now tv twitter account that bt/premier would be on it but it could be a while, i.e. stall it so as many people as possible sign up to sky sports first.

I would have no problem paying €50 p/m for sky sports, bt and premier on now tv as I already have freesat and it is much better than sky.

My only issue is that sky won't launch an Irish now tv app for lg tvs. Thus I am using the uk version, being charged Irish prices and after a month or 2 I get a message saying my roaming is coming to an end soon, presumably because I am using the English version in Ireland.

I don't want the hassle of another stick/box/remote. The app on the tv is not bad. A 7 day epg guide and catchup would be great but I mostly watch sports live anyway.

Can't get my head around the cost and effective monopoly Sky have on the EPL now in Ireland. So much for the working man's game. 2 months of sky gets you a season ticket for one adult and 3 kids at Rovers, no doubt where I'd rather my money go, and it isn't Rupert Murdochs back pocket.

That's incorrect. You not only have to be a Sky TV customer, you have to already have Sky Sports to get Sky Extra for €10 for the first 6 months and €20 extra after that. If you just have the basic Sky TV package without Sky Sports, you pay €17 for the first 6 months, and then €34 a month after that
    I was actually referring to people in your quote as being those with Sky sports. I took that as being a given especially as I proceeded to clarify the other variation. May not have been clear enough so Im happy to clarify :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Infoanon wrote: »
    30 a month keeps getting quoted but the actual annual standard cost was 269 ie 22.42 a month , a 91 euro annual difference.

The annual cost may have been €269. However, €30 a month is quoted as Eir had an offer (and I’d guess it was their most popular offer) for their sports package of €30 on a rolling monthly contract so you could cancel at any time

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

All up to the premium you put on the Pro14 now really. I personally don’t think it’s worth €30 per month particularly when up to 3 matches per round may be free to air - particularly not if you’re a Connacht fan (which TG4 tend to concentrate on). On the other hand, don’t pay it, miss the big interpros like Leinster v Munster. I know eir Sport were doing retention deals at one stage earlier in the summer though.

The price Sky are charging to Sky Sports customers for Sports Extra - considering it has the vast majority of content the eir Sport pack had, with five of the six main channels (not counting Box Nation, which it’s not clear what’s happening to) - is actually a good deal cheaper, particularly during the six month introductory period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Infoanon wrote: »

Eir will still survive but the sports channels are at risk of closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

IF, you are already a Sky Sports subscriber, €10 per month for 6 months is a very good price , any word on the equivalent UK price yet ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There won’t be an exact UK equivalent because Sky will only be retailing BT Sport and not Premier Sports there and there is no start date yet.

mikeym wrote: »
    Eir will still survive but the sports channels are at risk of closure.

There has been rumours that the new eir owner isn't interested in sports rights.

The pro14 can be hit and miss but there is very little live sport to compete with it on Friday evenings.
    The Premier League are missing out by not having more Friday night games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

icdg wrote: »
    There won’t be an exact UK equivalent because Sky will only be retailing BT Sport and not Premier Sports there and there is no start date yet.

Ok, didn't realise that BT Sport via Sky Sports extra or whatever it will be called in the UK, wasn't starting on August 1st as well.

Advertisement