Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I’m not sure why it hasn’t started yet tbh. Incredibly, the UK side of the deal was announced way back in December 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭swoofer

this is the current price so cant see any change in uk

https://www.bt.com/sport/sky/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

That's incorrect. You not only have to be a Sky TV customer, you have to already have Sky Sports to get Sky Extra for €10 for the first 6 months and €20 extra after that. If you just have the basic Sky TV package without Sky Sports, you pay €17 for the first 6 months, and then €34 a month after that

Disaster. Last year I had those channels for free (as an eir customer).

So, sky had a monopoly on football and it was broken up in the interest of the consumer. This ultimately led to us paying more to various providers (BT/Setanta/eir etc). Now it's merged under Sky again and we have to pay more still?

• Administrators Posts: 53,735 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

gstack166 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an idea about the multi room package? I have Eir Sport package on 2 sky boxes for €29 a month, will Sky’s new offer of €20 cover the same boxes? Also, I presume we’ll get the catch up & BT Boxsets on Sky now?

Yes

• Administrators Posts: 53,735 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Disaster. Last year I had those channels for free (as an eir customer).

So, sky had a monopoly on football and it was broken up in the interest of the consumer. This ultimately led to us paying more to various providers (BT/Setanta/eir etc). Now it's merged under Sky again and we have to pay more still?

Its only more for you because you were an eir customer and they were happy to sell sports as a loss leader to get broadband subscribers.

If your interest is football and you want to see every possible live game, for everyone except eir customers it's actually cheaper to do so now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

awec wrote: »
    I subscribed to Sky Sports and Eir Sports last year, and Eir was 30 quid on top of Sky.

If Eir drop their price to a tenner, I'll be no worse off financially if I subscribe to all 3, and have the same content.

30 quid a month for Eir's new offering is bananas.

indeed

the remaining question is if Eir can get a deal with sky to continue offering BT

as a Sky customer the 10/20 a month for me and drop Eir is grand

I get BT on Skygo also as a bonus

I get to see many of the provincial Pro14 games on TG4 too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

So as a Sky Q ( with Ultra HD ) customer am I correct in the following:

I previously had a annual subscription ( ends in September ) with Setanta / Eir. This was only on one single box.

Now I can get the same channels for €10 is the following correct?
    1 I will have the BT channels on all boxes.
    2 I get BT channels in Ultra HD (when available )

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

Berty44 wrote: »

I previously had a annual subscription ( ends in September ) with Setanta / Eir. This was only on one single box.

You will get the BT channels on all boxes but you won't be getting it in UHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Berty44 wrote: »

That's not correct. If you already have and pay for Sky Sports, you can get the new Extra package for €10 a month for the first 6 months, and then €20 a month for the next 6 months. However, if your Sky subscription doesn't currently include Sky Sports, it's €17 a month for the first 6 months, and then €34 a months for the next 6 months. You will get BT sports on all boxes you have

• Registered Users Posts: 12,717 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So the story is:

"Sports extra" - Sky Sports, BT Sports and Premier Sport - is €74 per month. €40 for Sky Sports and €34 for BT Sports and Premier Sport.

If you renew your contract with Sky for 12 months on August 1st you'll get BT and Premier for €10 for 6 months, then for €20 for 6 months and then €34 after 12 months.

You have to renew for 12 months to get the offer though.

• Advertisement

My understanding is that the €20 a month doesn’t increase again to €34 after twelve months as long as you keep Sky Sports also. But if it does that’s a really strange pricing structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,717 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

icdg wrote: »
    My understanding is that the €20 a month doesn’t increase again to €34 after twelve months as long as you keep Sky Sports also. But if it does that’s a really strange pricing structure.

I hope you're right but Im just off the phone with them and they told me it does increase to €34

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

So Vodafone TV is keeping BT's 4 channels after 1Aug according to their website FAQ. Good news for me as I thought I would only be left with Eir 1 & 2. Eir 2 will become Premier sports 1 & 2 for NHL & Nascar mostly.
    I do not watch soccer, that is the reason we pay so much for Sports, I wish I could get a cheaper package if it could block all the soccer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

bugsyb4 wrote: »
    Quick question have Eir released anything yet to say if can get BT Sports as an add on or have I missed this in above thread?

Have everything with Eir (TV, mobile, landline and internet) and tied into a contract until Feb so just want to see what their pricing plan is going to be as want to get BT and Premier if possible.

No, as far as I know Eir have done nothing to say there will be any deals with Sky to show BT or Premier Sport channels. Eir is dead in the water after losing the BT Channels yet keep promoting their 'exclusive coverage' of the Rugby World Cup, even though that is also being shown on RTE (latter stages) and ITV (in UK!).

I also have everything with Eir (TV, broadband, 2 mobiles). Trying to figure out what it would cost to switch everything to Sky but its not looking good. €100-a-month minimum to get Sky TV, Sky Sports + Sky Sports Extra seems very expensive just for TV alone. Trying to do a package bundle including broadband but i don't yet see an option to add the Sports Extra.

Does anyone know, for a potential new Sky customer, is it possible to add the Sports Extra package without adding Sky Sports? (i dont want Sky Sports, just PS/BT).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Roland27 wrote: »
    No, as far as I know Eir have done nothing to say there will be any deals with Sky to show BT or Premier Sport channels. Eir is dead in the water after losing the BT Channels yet keep promoting their 'exclusive coverage' of the Rugby World Cup, even though that is also being shown on RTE (latter stages) and ITV (in UK!).

I also have everything with Eir (TV, broadband, 2 mobiles). Trying to figure out what it would cost to switch everything to Sky but its not looking good. €100-a-month minimum to get Sky TV, Sky Sports + Sky Sports Extra seems very expensive just for TV alone. Trying to do a package bundle including broadband but i don't yet see an option to add the Sports Extra.

Does anyone know, for a potential new Sky customer, is it possible to add the Sports Extra package without adding Sky Sports? (i dont want Sky Sports, just PS/BT).
    yup, 17 a month for 6months then up to 34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Roland27 wrote: »

Eir have said, and it has been said multiple times here, that the BT channels will still be available just at a cost as opposed to free as they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Eir have said, and it has been said multiple times here, that the BT channels will still be available just at a cost as opposed to free as they are now.
    Will they be available via Eir streaming only or will the Sky box option remain?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭bennyl10

eirman wrote: »
    Will they be available via Eir streaming only or will the Sky box option remain?

I imagine you’ll have to get them either on Eirvision or as a sky customer through a sky box

Don’t see Eir being able to sell something they don’t own the rights of, to appear on someone else’s equipment.

Now Tv may have them; which sky will use as streaming

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Another annoyance of the BT channels going to Sky is the loss of using Chromecast to stream the channels which was very handy through the eir app. Sky deliberately blocking this feature on the Sky Go app is typically selfish and customer hostile.

Eir Sport 2 being removed from Vodafone TV is interesting - what about Pro14 games on that channel then?

Eir Sport 1 stays as part of the basic service (a legacy of the old days when Setanta Ireland was available on the basic tier of cable platforms).

Incidentally, this shows that Sky are at least wiling to do wholesale deals on the right terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Another annoyance of the BT channels going to Sky is the loss of using Chromecast to stream the channels which was very handy through the eir app. Sky deliberately blocking this feature on the Sky Go app is typically selfish and customer hostile.

It was very handy. I used it abroad on holidays. The eir sports app worked fine with chromecast. Chromecast is normally geoblocked with these apps.

Given how much people move around Sky really need to offer a better solution. Away on holidays for 3 weeks and you can only watch it on Sky Go. You want to watch matches on a tv.

eirman wrote: »

A a a channel pack for TV subscription will be the only option on eir I imagine. Can't see them being able to continue offering it to people that just have mobile or Internet with them but you never know

I have seen it referenced in papers etc. but nothing directly from Eir

can you link to anything?

Riskymove wrote: »
    I have seen it referenced in papers etc. but nothing directly from Eir

can you link to anything?

https://twitter.com/eircare/status/1153964905063755776?s=09

Thanks still a lot of uncertainty about it

I am a sky customer but added Eir/BT to my skybox so am not an "Eir Vision customer"

not sure if I will have the option to choose Eir rather than sky to add on BT

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭eam77

Wonder what eirsport 2 will be showing now without premier content. Probably repeats.

Anyone hear what channel numbers premier will have on sky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Because technically they have the UK rights while Eir have the Irish rights

in addition S4C have nine games live

opening game
    wales x4
    q/f
    s/f
    bronze
    Final

so between S4c, RTE and ITV - the world cup is sorted

kooga wrote: »
    in addition S4C have nine games live

opening game
    wales x4
    q/f
    s/f
    bronze
    Final

so between S4c, RTE and ITV - the world cup is sorted

ITV and S4C are pretty useless for people with Sky TV who can't watch games lives though, as there is no way of recording or pausing live TV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

ITV and S4C are pretty useless for people with Sky TV who can't watch games lives though, as there is no way of recording or pausing live TV

simple solution swap over to a freesat box

• Advertisement

kooga wrote: »
    simple solution swap over to a freesat box

So the simple solution is to spend even more money on a new box rather than using the box you are paying Sky for? Not a very bright idea really. It's cheaper to pay Eir for Eir Sports for the time the World Cup is on

Advertisement