Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

I have eir fibre broadband but can't get any other fibre broadband in my area, so I will have to pay Sky to watch channels that I had for free, on top of paying eir for my broadband.

If you can get eir then every other Operator is available (except Virgin as they run their own network).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Acosta wrote: »
    I was signed up too until they lost Serie A. If Eleven Sport had been more successful subscription wise and and kept hold of Serie A, it would make the decision to dump Sky altogether a lot easier.

Elevens problem was they didn't get any EPL rights, that's all 90% of their market care about here and maybe el classico, and they didn't split their platform so Ireland suffered the 3pm blackout too. Those combined meant they were never going to survive.

Eir should try push into their market. Make a proper online service like premier sports player so you have live and on demand sports, keep the rugby, focus on the domestic sports angle and add in a couple of EPL, SPL and La Liga games a week, do a few sports documentaries, then top it off with something with novel like an NFL game a week or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Has anyone had any luck (or even tried) getting them to throw in HD when threatening to cancel?

That's a real kicker for me. Still amazed they're getting away with charging extra for HD in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

As someone who has the BT and Eir (though the Sky box) since the days they were called Setanta, and for whom "Setanta" still appears on the bank statements, does anyone know who I need to contact in order to cancel? Is it Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The new look of the green eir sports app (she is looking shook!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Decuc500

hognef wrote: »
    As someone who has the BT and Eir (though the Sky box) since the days they were called Setanta, and for whom "Setanta" still appears on the bank statements, does anyone know who I need to contact in order to cancel? Is it Eir?

You need to ring Eir on 0818 203040.

I rang yesterday to cancel and they offered me the remaining Eir Sports 1 and 2 for €13 a month for 6 months but that's too much for 2 channels that really only show League of Ireland and rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I see people saying on forums in the UK that BT sport won't be on Now tv just yet. It seems they are pushing the date back all the time, no doubt trying to get people to sign up to their own products first.

If this turns out to be the case I certainly won't be signing up to Sky. If you are a rugby follower and want to watch champions league soccer but have little interest in the Premier League you are in a pickle. I can't get Virgin and probably wouldn't want them given the mess of a box they have.

Over €100 a month for tv and sports and then add on another €50 for broadband. Add in a mobile and you are at €200 p/m. Very expensive.

It is not just the price either. I have no time for these contracts either and having to ring up and begging for half price deals. At least with Netflix you can just cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭swoofer

If everyone could play tough and not sign for anything then maybe the 10 euro a month would be the norm but footie seems to be the "must have" and sky are bigging it big time. I don't have sky sports so the amount I would have to pay is a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Butson

How they are till charging for HD in this day and age is a scandal. Can you even buy a SD TV anymore?

Unless you are really big into premier league soccer, hard to see the draw for this package.
    Rugby World cup is pretty much going to overshadow all club activity until November. And most of that is free to air so no need for eir.
    As for boxing, any half arsed fight in now PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 martinbrendan@e

I currently have an annual subscription with EIR for the sports channels only (paid €299)which runs out at the end of August 2019. I gave them the obligatory 30 days notice yesterday and they said it would switch off on the 31st August and their would be no renewal of my annual fee. A couple of questions:

I thought EIR lost the rights to BT on the 1st August so how are the stations still working through my Sky Q box ?

Secondly when I sign up for Sky Sports Extra for the €10 per offer does that price cover my Sky Q mini box aswell?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

I’d put good money on Eir Sport ceasing broadcasting by this time next year.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Schwanz wrote: »
    I’d put good money on Eir Sport ceasing broadcasting by this time next year.

Agree with you would be great if it did.
    Same with Eleven sports as well that needs to also die and quickly. Only company with pockets deep enough to go head to head with Sky are the likes of Apple/Netflix/Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭monkeycork

Will we be able to watch BT/Premier live on the sky go android app and on windows 10? like the sky sports channels are now?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

monkeycork wrote: »
    Will we be able to watch BT/Premier live on the sky go android app and on windows 10? like the sky sports channels are now?

Not so far, only BT Sport on demand available at present.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Agree with you would be great if it did.
    Same with Eleven sports as well that needs to also die and quickly. Only company with pockets deep enough to go head to head with Sky are the likes of Apple/Netflix/Amazon.

"it would be great if an Irish company went bust" yeah **** right off

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Less of the language D14Rugby, I don’t care if it’s expressed in stars

So a few other titbits:

Eir Sport website had removed eir Sport 2’s listings which were still showing Premier Sports 1 programmes, they are now back with the correct schedules (not that there’s much other than repeats - I guess it’ll get a bit of use when the RWC and Pro14 starts).

Box Nation does not appear to be part of the Sports Extra pack. I can still view that channel on my main TV only, which seems to indicate that it’s part of the eir Sport pack, however I did see previous posters had indicated that the BT channels hadn’t yet been switched off for them. Looks like it may only be available then as a standalone subscription from now on. I rarely if ever watched the channel and the big(ish) fights are shown on BT anyway, but it’s a loss for anyone interested in that sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    Will the BT HD channels switch back to their original channel numbers (413, 414 etc) when you sign up with Sky?
    It's a bit of pain having them at 867 etc.

Can anyone answer this please ? I'm very tempted to sign up, €10 pm for 6 months is a bargain, but I would hope the BT HD and SD channels swap places when you sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

galtee boy wrote: »
    Can anyone answer this please ? I'm very tempted to sign up, €10 pm for 6 months is a bargain, but I would hope the BT HD and SD channels swap places when you sign up.

yeah they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

An Tarbh wrote: »
    galtee boy wrote: »

yeah they do.

Great, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

An Tarbh wrote: »
    yeah they do.

I use favourites most of the time so nos very low down on epg are not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

icdg wrote: »
    So a few other titbits:

Eir Sport website had removed eir Sport 2’s listings which were still showing Premier Sports 1 programmes, they are now back with the correct schedules (not that there’s much other than repeats - I guess it’ll get a bit of use when the RWC and Pro14 starts).

Box Nation does not appear to be part of the Sports Extra pack. I can still view that channel on my main TV only, which seems to indicate that it’s part of the eir Sport pack, however I did see previous posters had indicated that the BT channels hadn’t yet been switched off for them. Looks like it may only be available then as a standalone subscription from now on. I rarely if ever watched the channel and the big(ish) fights are shown on BT anyway, but it’s a loss for anyone interested in that sport.
    Boxnation has just been encrypted, had to subscibe directly to Boxnation cost me €15:00 but I have it back, it has not been great of late, so I will be keeping it under review.

icdg wrote: »
    Less of the language D14Rugby, I don’t care if it’s expressed in stars

Ah yeah sorry I forgot about the tonnes of children reading this who'd be scared by a word :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Ah yeah sorry I forgot about the tonnes of children reading this who'd be scared by a word :rolleyes:

only one kid here, and he's lost his rattler

only one kid here, and he's lost his rattler

Yeah because calling people out for hoping an Irish company goes bust, resulting in the loss of Irish jobs is so childish, and swear words are really truly hurtful to say, you never ever see them anywhere on the internet, never mind god forbid hear them, don't think my poor ears could take that.

Mod's just pissed I pointed out they completely missed someones point after they went on their huge rant.

Banned. No discussion of moderation on thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Checked the Sky Go app there and the additional sports channels(premier and BT) are not on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Checked the Sky Go app there and the additional sports channels(premier and BT) are not on it.

Current line is "not today but soon"

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

I currently have an annual subscription with EIR for the sports channels only (paid €299)which runs out at the end of August 2019. I gave them the obligatory 30 days notice yesterday and they said it would switch off on the 31st August and their would be no renewal of my annual fee.

Just a question on this: Wouldn't removing the three BT channels (out of a total of five channels) constitute a significant enough change that Eir would need to give us a heads-up and a way to cancel without penalty? Wondering whether it really should be possible to get out without the 30 days notice.

Signing up with Sky now to get the Premier channels would mean a month of paying twice for BT, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Just got off the phone to Eir Sport querying my bill now that they have lost BT Sport. Guy told me that there would be no change in my monthly bill of 29.99 plus 2.99 for multiroom despite the fact that they were now offering only two channels. He also tried to tell me that they only confirmed two days ago that they were losing BT Sport, the dogs in the street knew this months ago and they were still trying to sign up new Eir broadband customers offering free Eir Sports package including BT Sport up to last week.

I worked in customer service areas for many years but I have never heard such horse ****e coming from a company representative. Yes, they have lost another customer of many years.

PS I never received any communication from Eir advising me of this change. Customer service is pathetic.

Advertisement