Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

icdg wrote: »
    Of course it’s eir. Sky’s relationship with eir is solely for conditional access services and an EPG listing. They have no control over what out of home services eir choose to (or choose not to in this case) offer their satellite customers. If eir wanted to offer these customers access to the app Sky couldn’t stop them.

And sky negotiated that deal, they could have easily negotiated the rights to add it to sky go too but they didn't, that's on sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

D14Rugby wrote: »
    And sky negotiated that deal, they could have easily negotiated the rights to add it to sky go too but they didn't, that's on sky.

Or eir could have just offered the app to the customers who subbed for sky access, but they didn't... Its on eir, not sky (I forgot that they had that weird quirk where the people who paid most got least)

dulpit wrote: »
    Or eir could have just offered the app to the customers who subbed for sky access, but they didn't... Its on eir, not sky (I forgot that they had that weird quirk where the people who paid most got least)

Because the eir app are a bonus for being an Eir customer, sky do have sky go you know. How exactly would you propose eir work that non Eir customers can access apps that you need an Eir account to use?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They do their own subscriber management - they are not part of a Sky TV package. If you subscribe to eir Sport on satellite (at €30 pm) you do not call Sky, you call eir Sport’s call centre (in Kirkcaldy, Fife admittedly). But the point is that they know exactly who their customers are and have their details, and could put in place a system to allow these customers access to an app. Setanta Go’s existence is proof of concept, all they would have been doing is converting that over to iOS/Android platforms.

Instead, they didn’t develop Setanta Go any more and let it get to the point where the technology it used was unsupported. Because they don’t want satellite only customers, or at least domestic ones. They tolerate the service’s existence because it still suits the commercial customers best and still makes them a pile of money. But they’d rather the domestic ones all took eir Broadband instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

Just signed up to the Sports Extra package with HD. Will the BT SD channels stay at 413 etc?

EDIT: Planner Rebuild did the trick!

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    They do their own subscriber management - they are not part of a Sky TV package. If you subscribe to eir Sport on satellite (at €30 pm) you do not call Sky, you call eir Sport’s call centre (in Kirkcaldy, Fife admittedly). But the point is that they know exactly who their customers are and have their details, and could put in place a system to allow these customers access to an app. Setanta Go’s existence is proof of concept, all they would have been doing is converting that over to iOS/Android platforms.

Instead, they didn’t develop Setanta Go any more and let it get to the point where the technology it used was unsupported. Because they don’t want satellite only customers, or at least domestic ones. They tolerate the service’s existence because it still suits the commercial customers best and still makes them a pile of money. But they’d rather the domestic ones all took eir Broadband instead.

So you're saying it's Eirs fault that they don't go through all that hassle, which would just result in them making a competitors product more enticing, while Sky are blameless for not being arsed to get an extra line in a contract and put it on sky go? Pull the other one

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Before this deal, you didn't even need to be an active sky customer to access eir sports on a Sky box. It literally had nothing to do with Sky, they merely allowed Eir to carry the channels on Sky satellites and be on the epg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Acosta

Haven't bothered signing up yet as there's no point for me to do so as BT still isn't on Sky Go. After checking in advance I knew that most of the matches I wanted to watch would have been on my phone during my break at work. Bit of a joke to know that even after signing up I'll still a lot of the time end up watching matches via dodgy streams on my phone because Sky can't get their act together or be bothered to get Premier Sport on Sky Go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

How exactly would you propose eir work that non Eir customers can access apps that you need an Eir account to use?

we were (indeed are) Eir customers - we pay Eir for their sport pack

they chose not to give us access to the apps

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Acosta wrote: »
    Haven't bothered signing up yet as there's no point for me to do so as BT still isn't on Sky Go. After checking in advance I knew that most of the matches I wanted to watch would have been on my phone during my break at work. Bit of a joke to know that even after signing up I'll still a lot of the time end up watching matches via dodgy streams on my phone because Sky can't get their act together or be bothered to get Premier Sport on Sky Go.

The 'talk to' Sky thread would suggest that Premier Sports will not be coming to Sky Go at all!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Acosta

Vudgie wrote: »
    The 'talk to' Sky thread would suggest that Premier Sports will not be coming to Sky Go at all!!

Yeah, I know. Just that on top of this delay of getting BT onto Sky Go means there's not much point in me signing up yet. However, the €10 a month deal for 6 months ends in September so I'll probably do it before then.
    Not sure why Sky can't organise to have Premier put on Sky Go as there is no other streaming options for those two channels in Ireland. Sky are carrying PS on their service as well as showing highlights from PS games such as Serie A on Sky Sports News.

BT channels now on Sky Go (in Ireland only for now).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

I am now thinking of subscribing to Sports extra. Only thing putting me off is that if you cancel Sky Sports this goes to €34 pm. I have sky sports for the €25 for 6 months thing which I renegotiate every 6 months. If I phone Sky to do this after subscribing to Extra they could then play hardball knowing I likely won’t cancel it due to Extra price then going up and I would thus except higher sky sports price! Plus being in new contract!

Clever move by sky taking on these channels��

Any opinions on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,758 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It was always going to work in Sky's favour.

It may have been there since 1st August, but BT Sport catch up content is available too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Widescreen wrote: »
    I am now thinking of subscribing to Sports extra. Only thing putting me off is that if you cancel Sky Sports this goes to €34 pm. I have sky sports for the €25 for 6 months thing which I renegotiate every 6 months. If I phone Sky to do this after subscribing to Extra they could then play hardball knowing I likely won’t cancel it due to Extra price then going up and I would thus except higher sky sports price! Plus being in new contract!

Clever move by sky taking on these channels��

Any opinions on this ?

I since subscribed to this.

You are only contracted to the basic package and they also aligned the existing sky sports offer and sky sports xtra package to the same expiry date so I could negotiate a new offer (or cancel!) at the same time. Two weeks cooling off as well, so seems ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

For those who have e vision from eir the €14.99 per month for 6 months offer finishes tomorrow
    Full price is €34.99

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bugsyb4

kooga wrote: »
    For those who have e vision from eir the €14.99 per month for 6 months offer finishes tomorrow
    Full price is €34.99

That's without Sky Sports right? Do you have any idea if the offer with Sky Sports at 9.99 is expiring tomorrow too or where are you getting this from? Thought it might be offered a bit longer!

bugsyb4 wrote: »
    That's without Sky Sports right? Do you have any idea if the offer with Sky Sports at 9.99 is expiring tomorrow too or where are you getting this from? Thought it might be offered a bit longer!

Correct - When eir announced they had premier and bt back in early August they had on the website until August 31st however for the last few days I couldn’t find that page soI rang and went on live chat and they confirmed it - I’d imagine the 9,99 is similar, although they have a sports bundle of sky bt and ps for 29.99 € a month for six months this offer finishes end of September

My preference would of been to hang on another month for when the Gallagher premiership is back on bt but by then the bt pack in hd will be 39.99. So I’ll pull the trigger tomorrow for six months plus the hd option

It’s amazing sky sports not available in hd on eir and that’s why I wouldn’t subscribe to it on eir

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Spoke with Sky today and have an offer now that will keep me with them for a while. One thing they said to me was that BT aren't offering HD to any ROI customers, regardless of what package you're on. Is this true? Was under the impression you could upgrade to get HD with BT via Sky's package.

• Advertisement

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Spoke with Sky today and have an offer now that will keep me with them for a while. One thing they said to me was that BT aren't offering HD to any ROI customers, regardless of what package you're on. Is this true? Was under the impression you could upgrade to get HD with BT via Sky's package.

I have bt sport in hd on evision subscribed today

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

yeah that's nonsense, BT is in HD if you've got the HD pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭peejay1986

An Tarbh wrote: »
    yeah that's nonsense, BT is in HD if you've got the HD pack.

Thought as much. Said that to him and he was adamant I was wrong. Can't say I'm surprised.

Cheers for the confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭4goneConclusion

Does anyone know if the BT sports channels are definitely going to be on Sky Go?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

Does anyone know if the BT sports channels are definitely going to be on Sky Go?

They already are on Sky Go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Guys can anyone tell me how to get the Virgin Sport channels on my Sky Box I have Eir broadband I got a text last week from Eir telling me they would be free but I don't seem to be able to get them.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Guys can anyone tell me how to get the Virgin Sport channels on my Sky Box I have Eir broadband I got a text last week from Eir telling me they would be free but I don't seem to be able to get them.

not coming onto the sky box till sep 12 and will replace eir sport 2 on the epg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

energy1942 wrote: »
    They already are on Sky Go.

only on mobile devices

not yet on consoels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Thought as much. Said that to him and he was adamant I was wrong. Can't say I'm surprised.

Cheers for the confirmation.

You can't get it on UHD in Ireland, maybe that's where he got confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Just noticed there when checking to see what 3pm match is on at the weekend that Premier Sports 1 HD seems to have reverted to the UK feed and has no programme listed.

Advertisement