Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Quick question about Premier Sports, what will they be doing on St Stephens day regarding the Premier league rights they have? Amazon are showing every game (9)live in England.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They have the rights to show them all live (there are actually be ten games in that round, Wolves v Man City being on the 27th). Obviously they don’t have enough channels to show the six simultaneous 3pm KOs so some solution will be found for that. My understanding is that Amazon will be making the matches available on satellite for pubs (most of who just aren’t set up for streaming) and then it might be a case of Premier piggy backing on that to offer the streams via the red button or another solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Badabing wrote: »
    Quick question about Premier Sports, what will they be doing on St Stephens day regarding the Premier league rights they have? Amazon are showing every game (9)live in England.

If I was a betting man I'd say they will show only the big games/the ones with the most Irish interest

12:30 Spurs v Brighton
    3pm: Bournemouth v Arsenal and Chelsea v Southampton
    5:30 United v Newcastle
    7:45 Wolves v Man City and (8pm)Leicester v Liverpool

Perhaps they will stream the others for free to all (of Ireland) on YouTube akin to what Eir Sport do for a few select games

• Registered Users Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭batistuta9

The midweek at the start of December is theirs/amazon as well, might give an indication of what they'll do for boxing day

There's 2 each night on Tues & thrs
    But 6 games on the Wednesday including Liverpool-everton & man u-spurs, so that'll be on main channels

Premier have the 3pm listed until the end of November, might show on the site soon enough what they'll be doing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

batistuta9 wrote: »
    The midweek at the start of December is theirs/amazon as well, might give an indication of what they'll do for boxing day

There's 2 each night on Tues & thrs
    But 6 games on the Wednesday including Liverpool-everton & man u-spurs, so that'll be on main channels

Premier have the 3pm listed until the end of November, might show on the site soon enough what they'll be doing

Will we be able to watch Premier League matches on Amazon Prime Video Ireland or will they be geo locked? I have Prime for €2.99 for next 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Will we be able to watch Premier League matches on Amazon Prime Video Ireland or will they be geo locked? I have Prime for €2.99 for next 6 months.
    As far as I know Premier Sports have the Amazon Prime 20 live games for Rep Of Ireland

UK Amazon Prime 20 Premier League Games

Rep of Ireland the Amazon Prime 20 premier league games package is with Premier Sports

Premier Sports on Boxing Day it's not known yet if all games are been shown but some will be for sure
    Amazon Prime 9 premier league games on Boxing Day on Premier Sports how this will be achieved is not known yet if all 9 games are going to be broadcast live

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭fman

Yes for what it's worth too, premier advertised that first midweek round in December during their coverage yesterday. Pretty vague, didn't suggest that it would only be 1 or 2 games and all were listed for Premier 1.

Whether they will be able to piggy back on Bt's satellite coverage of the Amazon games (for pubs) remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

St. Stephen's Day.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

The sooner streaming all games not just Christmas Including 4K, HDR, Atmos be it via Sky/Netflix/Amazon the better and I mean proper streaming not the crap that people get from dodgy stream providers even paid ones but proper streams from the likes of the broadcasters mentioned.

Pubs will adapt very quickly knowing this will affect their trade if the don’t provide the correct services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

I'd be doubtful about Premier Sports ability to show all these games when they can't even manage to show La Liga when Rugby is on at the same time

TCP/IP wrote: »
    The sooner streaming all games not just Christmas Including 4K, HDR, Atmos be it via Sky/Netflix/Amazon the better and I mean proper streaming not the crap that people get from dodgy stream providers even paid ones but proper streams from the likes of the broadcasters mentioned.

Pubs will adapt very quickly knowing this will affect their trade if the don’t provide the correct services.

Amazon are, apparently, going to provide the games via satellite specifically for pubs. There are some (if not insurmountable) problems with doing it via streaming in pubs the biggest one of which is that all TVs in the pub (my local has five of them in the one room) need to be in synch which means individual Chromecasts etc are out, it has to be the one stream to all TVs. You could use a laptop setup alright but that’s something pub TVs, which are generally wall or high mounted, or projection based, are not particularly set up for. Also pub punters are generally unforgiving of buffering of any kind.. So satellite remains the optimal solution for pubs, for now at least.

icdg wrote: »
    Amazon are, apparently, going to provide the games via satellite specifically for pubs. There are some (if not insurmountable) problems with doing it via streaming in pubs the biggest one of which is that all TVs in the pub (my local has five of them in the one room) need to be in synch which means individual Chromecasts etc are out, it has to be the one stream to all TVs. You could use a laptop setup alright but that’s something pub TVs, which are generally wall or high mounted, or projection based, are not particularly set up for. Also pub punters are generally unforgiving of buffering of any kind.. So satellite remains the optimal solution for pubs, for now at least.

Totally agree Sat is the best solution it’s bandwidth that is the issues hell even Sky don’t seem to broadcast three or four sporting events in 4K at the same time let alone with HDR which they are still yet to give us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Acosta wrote: »
    I'd be doubtful about Premier Sports ability to show all these games when they can't even manage to show La Liga when Rugby is on at the same time

The La Liga channel will be added in January.

Just to say, here’s a page from BT Sport (who are working on contract from Amazon) about the pubs situation in the UK.

https://btsportbusiness.com/amazon/

What Premier Sports could do is “piggy back” on these arrangements and do a deal to allow its subscribers in ROI (both commercial and domestic) access these satellite broadcasts, while still keeping the top game(s) on its front channel. There’ll be no La Liga on St Stephens Day, and although there’ll be two Pro14 fixtures in Wales, they don’t kick off simultaneously and there should be room to avoid a clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Response below I got from Amazon regarding streaming games to Irish Prime subscribers;

This is Sandeep from Amazon.

As per the information provided, now the premier league are available on Amazon Prime Video for UK subscribers.

But we are also working on this issue, so that the Ireland viewers can also stream the matches.

We will update you as soon as it is soughted out.

I also request you to call us before the league starts, so that we can give you an update regarding this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Response below I got from Amazon regarding streaming games to Irish Prime subscribers;

As per the information provided, now the premier league are available on Amazon Prime Video for UK subscribers.

But we are also working on this issue, so that the Ireland viewers can also stream the matches.

I also request you to call us before the league starts, so that we can give you an update regarding this.

Sandeep hasn't a clue about what he is on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Premier Sports have the rights for Rep of Ireland for the 20 premier league games been shown on Amazon Prime in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭batistuta9

They only have UK rights like others said but a lot of people in Ireland have prime video UK so should see them

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

batistuta9 wrote: »
    They only have UK rights like others said but a lot of people in Ireland have prime video UK so should see them

No they won’t , it will be geo locked to UK only (ip address)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Stewball

The La Liga channel will be added in January.

Will the La Liga channel be part of the Premier/BT subscription with Sky or will it be a standalone channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

Stewball wrote: »
    Will the La Liga channel be part of the Premier/BT subscription with Sky or will it be a standalone channel?

FROM PS website

A: Will LaLiga TV be available in Ireland?
    Q: Sky Ireland sell Premier Sports in Ireland. It is expected LaLiga TV will be added to Sky ROI EPG but this is yet to be confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Stewball wrote: »

AFAIK it is part of Premier subscription but I stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Stewball

kooga wrote: »
    FROM PS website

A: Will LaLiga TV be available in Ireland?
    Q: Sky Ireland sell Premier Sports in Ireland. It is expected LaLiga TV will be added to Sky ROI EPG but this is yet to be confirmed.

Hopefully it will be. I can't justify another monthly payment for football.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    No they won’t , it will be geo locked to UK only (ip address)

EU single digital market rules apply here so a UK Amazon Prime account will be able to stream these matches anywhere in the EU, including here in the Republic

If you have a sky/Eir/Virgin/now TV/Netflix subscription from Ireland you can take that subscription via a web browser or phone app to any EU nation under the same rules

To be clear, what applies is the Portability Regulation and that only allows a person resident in one member state to take their content abroad with them for short periods - like a holiday or business trip. It does not create a general rule abolishing geoblocking within the EU entirely. For example Sky require you to have logged on in your home state after 30 days or the geoblocking comes back up.

This is an entirely separate issue from Amazon’s notoriously leaky geoblocking. That’s their own thing and if their content providers are comfortable with it.

Unconfirmed reports tonight that BT have retained the UEFA club competitions for another three years from 21-22 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

no decrease in price paid according to the same articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭fman

I guess the next question would be, how is Ireland affected. Status quo or some chance of eir/virgin getting exclusivity?

• Advertisement

fman wrote: »
    I guess the next question would be, how is Ireland affected. Status quo or some chance of eir/virgin getting exclusivity?

There is zero chance of eir/virgin getting exclusivity due to the strategic partnership that Sky and BT have formed recently.

Advertisement