Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭fman

Not what I meant. I meant in terms of the UEFA rights. When they last came up BT were in bed with eir and virgin/ TV3 were just a couple of channels.
    There wouldn't have been any push to sell rights for UK and Ireland separately, but maybe there would be now?
    Similar to the way Amazon's premier League games were sold to premier here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s a bit more nuanced than that - the rights for UK and Ireland are sold separately, but the UK rights also included non-exclusive rights to broadcast the games in Ireland.

So in the current period:

BT have exclusive rights to show every game in the UK and non-exclusive rights to show every game in Ireland.
    Virgin Media have non-exclusive rights to show every game in Ireland.
    RTE have non exclusive rights to show one Tuesday 8:00pm game in Ireland.

It’s a slight bit messy but ensures no one gets blacked out (as was the case during the period ESPN had Europa League rights when games were blocked out in Ireland).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Does RTE keep one game a week is all I need to know - I like to watch football for free in HD.

Now official:

[url] https://sport.bt.com/football/bt-wins-exclusive-rights-to-uefa-champions-league-uefa-europa-league-and-uefa-europa-conference-league-until-2024-S11364410970173[/url]
    Does RTE keep one game a week is all I need to know - I like to watch football for free in HD.

We probably won’t know for another 18 months on that one. UEFA haven’t even issued the RFT for Ireland yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

icdg wrote:
    We probably won’t know for another 18 months on that one. UEFA haven’t even issued the RFT for Ireland yet.

Is that usual? Did it happen the last time? Much smaller market obviously

• Advertisement

Yeah, it takes them ages to do. The UK is normally one of the first deals to be done and we are normally one of the last.

For 2018-21, the UK rights were announced on 6th March 2017, the Irish rights on 15th May 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

BT Sport are also showing games from the new UEFA Europa Conference League as well with them retaining the CL & EL.

https://newsroom.bt.com/bt-wins-exclusive-rights-to-uefa-champions-league-uefa-europa-league-and-uefa-europa-conference-league-until-2024/

That gives BT Sport an increase of 77 matches on their previous rights package.

I do wonder where the new Europa Conference League matches will go here if they are included in the new Irish rights deal.

From a realistic perspective from an Irish rights point of view; Will Virgin/Eir or RTÉ show those games here?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

BT Sport are also showing games from the new UEFA Europa Conference League as well with them retaining the CL & EL.

https://newsroom.bt.com/bt-wins-exclusive-rights-to-uefa-champions-league-uefa-europa-league-and-uefa-europa-conference-league-until-2024/

That gives BT Sport an increase of 77 matches on their previous rights package.

I do wonder where the new Europa Conference League matches will go here if they are included in the new Irish rights deal.

From a realistic perspective from an Irish rights point of view; Will Virgin/Eir or RTÉ show those games here?

Will they want to? Can't see too much interest in a third tier European competition . The Europa League is bad enough until the knockout stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Will they want to? Can't see too much interest in a third tier European competition . The Europa League is bad enough until the knockout stages.

Much greater chance of Irish teams making that competition though, so probably would have good interest here...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

dulpit wrote: »
    Much greater chance of Irish teams making that competition though, so probably would have good interest here...

Also, might be the only way to watch Manchester United in European competition... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Premier Sports have updated their Premier League schedule for Dec & Jan with every game being broadcast on the 3rd/4th/6th and 26th/27th/28th Dec

https://www.premiersports.com/premierleague.html

Presumably the extra games on the dates above will only be available for Sky customers through the red button

“Front channel” games in Round 15:

Tuesday 3rd Dec
    Premier 1: Burnley v Man City
    Premier 2: Crystal Palace v Bournemouth

Wednesday 4th Dec
    Premier 1: Liverpool v Everton
    Premier 2: Spurs v Man United

Thursday 5th December
    Premier 1: Arsenal v Brighton
    Premier 2: Sheffield United v Newcastle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Presumably the extra games on the dates above will only be available for Sky customers through the red button
    I don't think Premier have the spare carriage capacity unless a deal is done with Sky to lease spare capacity for those games.

Amazon will be putting these games on Sky for commercial premises - there could be some sort of deal to share streams in the circumstances.

Premier Sports website now updated to make clear the other games (Leicester v Watford, Wolves v West Ham, Chelsea v Aston Villa, Southampton v Norwich) will be available to satellite customers via red button.

Similar scenario on St Stephens Day - Chelsea v Southampton on Premier 1 and all other 3pms on red button - games outside of 3pm window all on Premier 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Here was me getting excited that we were going to get BT Sport 4K on SkyQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Acosta

It was all going so well before the Ivan Yates reveal.

Eoin McDevitt and the usual Premier crew will be doing one of the games each night if you prefer.

Yates & Co have the eir Sport studio tonight incidentally, which I think is the first time it’s made an appearance on Premier Sports since the split.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

icdg wrote: »
    To be clear, what applies is the Portability Regulation and that only allows a person resident in one member state to take their content abroad with them for short periods - like a holiday or business trip. It does not create a general rule abolishing geoblocking within the EU entirely. For example Sky require you to have logged on in your home state after 30 days or the geoblocking comes back up.

This is an entirely separate issue from Amazon’s notoriously leaky geoblocking. That’s their own thing and if their content providers are comfortable with it.

I can confirm that they are not geoblocked, long live the Digital Single Market hurrah!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,015 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I can confirm that they are not geoblocked, long live the Digital Single Market hurrah!
    Couldn't watch either match tonight on the TV with the firestick. I could view them on the desktop PC but couldnt be bothered watching that.

It’s not that they are not geoblocked - it’s just that Amazon’s geoblocking is based on a method other than IP address, and without wishing to break our own rule here on discussing circumventing geoblocking, is apparently very easily circumvented thanks to how nice Amazon customer support are about it. That’s their own policy, and if it becomes a problem for other PL right holders - like Premier Sports for instance (seeing how this is the Premier sports thread and all) - you will be sure the FAPL will put pressure on them to tighten things up.

Geoblocking of online content isn’t illegal. With few exceptions, the vast majority traditional broadcasters streaming over the net, and commercial legal streaming service uses it in some way shape or form including the BBC, ITV, RTE, Sky, Netflix, Amazon etc.

icdg wrote: »
    It’s not that they are not geoblocked - it’s just that Amazon’s geoblocking is based on a method other than IP address, and without wishing to break our own rule here on discussing circumventing geoblocking, is apparently very easily circumvented thanks to how nice Amazon customer support are about it. That’s their own policy, and if it becomes a problem for other PL right holders - like Premier Sports for instance (seeing how this is the Premier sports thread and all) - you will be sure the FAPL will put pressure on them to tighten things up.

Geoblocking of online content isn’t illegal. With few exceptions, the vast majority traditional broadcasters streaming over the net, and commercial legal streaming service uses it in some way shape or form including the BBC, ITV, RTE, Sky, Netflix, Amazon etc.

From my own point of view there was no circumventing of geoblocking... I have a family member home from the UK who has the relevant subscription that applies over there

All that I am confirming is that the DSM rules apply, and correctly apply, to the Amazon prime service! These rules are common to bt/Eir/premier/sky so I see no reason for the pl to come down on Amazon when the others are doing the exact same

On a related note, I can also confirm that an Irish prime account cannot access the matches, even when the user is in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I have Sky Sports Only. Not Sky Sports Extra. Can I watch the games tonight or access premier sports via the red button on Sky??? Surely that's not correct.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    I have Sky Sports Only. Not Sky Sports Extra. Can I watch the games tonight or access premier sports via the red button on Sky??? Surely that's not correct.

You mean will premier make the games FTA via red button? Unlikely I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 9,758 ✭✭✭lertsnim

GiftofGab wrote: »

You will have to have Sky Sports Extra to access the games on a sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Anyone got a number for Eirsport that I can actually get through to so I can cancel my auto renewal for Jan???

• Registered Users Posts: 46,015 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Anyone got a number for Eirsport that I can actually get through to so I can cancel my auto renewal for Jan???
    0818 203040

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Acosta

5 minutes into the 3pm games and no sign of the red button....

Advertisement