Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Acosta wrote: »
    5 minutes into the 3pm games and no sign of the red button....

Red button working now but games won't play
    You get message content not available

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

paulboland wrote: »
    Red button working now but games won't play
    You get message content not available

And every time I check if it's working it returns me to blue screen with sound only and I have to restart the sky box which takes 5 minutes.

They've made an absolute hames of their biggest gig of the season.

It's working now, finally, in not so glorious SD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Acosta wrote: »
    And every time I check if it's working it returns me to blue screen with sound only and I have to restart the sky box which takes 5 minutes.

They've made an absolute hames of their biggest gig of the season.

I'm not getting Blue Screen on my Sky Q Box
    When I click the back button is goes back the the Chelsea v Southampton game

Red Button working now for all the games

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

Hi does anyone know how much multi-room costs when you have BT/Premier Sports? We have 4 boxes in total.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There’s no extra charge on top of having to take both Multiscreen and Sports Extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

Carlton cole & kelly are horrid boring to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Premier Sports have been awful for the football over the last two days.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Amazon has been amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Premier Sports have been awful for the football over the last two days.

I have had it on now tv. Streaming quality is poor relative to today's standards. Ivan Yates is surprisingly good but a bit of an old lads' club with Dunphy and Giles.

No studio presentation for the Wolves Man City game tonight. Just the game itself it seems.

• Advertisement

So a general question.

From time to time on these threads we get statements like “Ireland shouldn’t be thrown in with the UK” or “Ireland and UK should have separate rights”.

After seeing a glimpse of a parallel universe of separate UK and Irish rights for the Premier League this week and earlier in the months, did you like what you saw? Or will you be happy to return to the normality of Sky and BT this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

icdg wrote: »
    So a general question.

From time to time on these threads we get statements like “Ireland shouldn’t be thrown in with the UK” or “Ireland and UK should have separate rights”.

After seeing a glimpse of a parallel universe of separate UK and Irish rights for the Premier League this week and earlier in the months, did you like what you saw? Or will you be happy to return to the normality of Sky and BT this weekend?

The coverage on Premier Sports in terms of punditry and interviews etc was very poor compare to Sky or BT

• Registered Users Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭batistuta9

So a general question.

the reason people want separate Irish rights is so that more games can be shown here like in other countries. I don't think they're bothered by an Irish broadcaster or pundits that much.

I had the games on Amazon earlier in the month & thought it was very impressive. Great quality picture + XRay is a nice feature, not sure if there's anything comparable on sky or BT as I haven't had a sub in years now.

Wouldn't bother me at all if they took more rights next time. Though the two main issues people seem to have with it - their connection speed & the delay on the stream - don't apply to me.

So a general question.

The punditry wasn't great IMO. I was a fan of the RTE panel for years, but unfortunately Giles and Dunphy are not the force they used to be, both in terms of knowledge and entertainment value. And Ivan Yates was a terrible choice for lead anchor for PS coverage. He hasn't a clue what he's talking about.
    I would imagine the wage bill of that lot was the reason we were lumped with Carlton Cole as another pundit. The less said about that the better. Eoin McDevitt is a fine presenter and knows what he's talking about. No complaints there.

In saying all that, as someone that doesn't pay for Sky HD, It was just nice to have some EPL games in HD. That's worth more to me that being happy with the pundits.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    the reason people want separate Irish rights is so that more games can be shown here like in other countries. I don't think they're bothered by an Irish broadcaster or pundits that much.

I had the games on Amazon earlier in the month & thought it was very impressive. Great quality picture + XRay is a nice feature, not sure if there's anything comparable on sky or BT as I haven't had a sub in years now.

Wouldn't bother me at all if they took more rights next time. Though the two main issues people seem to have with it - their connection speed & the delay on the stream - don't apply to me.

Exactly. Ideally we should have access to all 3pm matches on a Saturday as audiences in other countries have.

As someone that likes a bit of Bundesliga, the majority of games are on Saturday afternoon and because of a UK broadcasting law I can't watch any of them. This is really annoying but it's also unlikely that an Irish broadcaster is going to come in for those rights.

Sky is too expensive so I'm happy to see that likes of Amazon come on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Stewball

I have had it on now tv. Streaming quality is poor relative to today's standards. Ivan Yates is surprisingly good but a bit of an old lads' club with Dunphy and Giles.

No studio presentation for the Wolves Man City game tonight. Just the game itself it seems.

Premier Sports are better off just broadcasting the game itself like they do with Serie A games.
    The production & punditry has been terrible over St. Stephen's Day and the midweek games earlier in December.

Dunphy and Giles have been a massive failure - completely past it!!

There was a great example during the MU/New game.
    Dunphy claimed MU bid 25mil for Matty Longstaff after he scored against them earlier in the season and when it hasn't accepted he got the hump and refused to play. AFAIK, this wasn't reported anywhere. :confused:
    MU were linked with Sean Longstaff in the summer but nothing came of it.

I'm sure Giles was asleep in his chair at one stage during the L'pool Leicester game. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Hi Tiger, I'm happy with the streaming quality, watching it on the now tv stick. I also find the picture quality better on bt/premier than sky sports.

Good to see Richard Dunne on Premier Sports today for Newcastle V Everton

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Why don't Premier give live score updates from other games, like Setanta used to do?

I’m not sure. I wish they would - the production is very much in the mould of the old Setanta Premier League coverage otherwise, and I’m sure there are plenty who worked on both (given Premier Sports is ultimately Setanta in a not very heavy disguise).

My understanding incidentally is that Yates, Dunphy, and Giles were hired just to do the December games and it will be back to McDevitt from now on. Be interesting to see if Premier repeat the experiment next year.

Just as well to repeat it again, because it’s an urban myth that seems to be repeated time and time again: there is no law in the United Kingdom prohibiting the broadcasting of 3pm games. What there is, is UEFA regulations which allow a member association to stipulate hours in which football under the jurisdiction of UEFA may not be broadcast and which the FA and Scottish FA have invoked. It may have the same effect in the end but it is not a law in the sense that word is usually used. Welsh Premier League games have been broadcast by S4C at 3pm in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I think giving Amazon the online rights has been fantastic.

They showed every match on St Stephens day including the 3pm kick offs.

Hopefully its a sign of things to come.

And some people over here got to watch the matches for free which was a massive bonus.

As for Premier Sports I dont really know what to say about it other than the red button links will always be in SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

mikeym wrote: »
    Hopefully its a sign of things to come.

BT Sport are showing every game on New Year's Day.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So a general question.

When matches are on Sky and BT that's far and away the best coverage you can get. Amazon do a decent job of it too, but it's annoying that they are streaming only.

The likes of Premier and Eir are better than nothing, but they are so half-arsed and amateur compared to the rest that I don't like relying on them for coverage.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

The future is streaming and it can’t come fast enough.
    Matches with 4K/HDR/Atmos and stats like X-ray yes please all day long.

Just as well to repeat it again, because it’s an urban myth that seems to be repeated time and time again: there is no law in the United Kingdom prohibiting the broadcasting of 3pm games. What there is, is UEFA regulations which allow a member association to stipulate hours in which football under the jurisdiction of UEFA may not be broadcast and which the FA and Scottish FA have invoked. It may have the same effect in the end but it is not a law in the sense that word is usually used. Welsh Premier League games have been broadcast by S4C at 3pm in the past.

Ok, fair enough, let's call it a restriction. Whatever it is it's a 60 year or so rule that prohibits broadcasters from showing football on Saturday afternoons. It is annoying the way it impacts on viewing football in Ireland and that it's applied to other leagues outside of England and Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,692 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

lertsnim wrote: »
    BT Sport are showing every game on New Year's Day.

You’d need to have a BT Box or the BT Sport App to access all games I think (only available in UK)

callaway92 wrote: »
    You’d need to have a BT Box or the BT Sport App to access all games I think (only available in UK)

I assume these games are on the red button on Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

callaway92 wrote: »

The games have been spread through out the day, so no b need for red button or app. They will use their 4 satellite channels

12:30pm
    Brighton v Chelsea BT1
    Burnley v Aston Villa BT2

3:00pm
    Newcastle v Leicester BT2
    Southampton v Spurs BT1
    Watford v Wolves ESPN

5:30pm
    Man City v Arsenal BT1
    Norwich v Palace ESPN
    West Ham v Bournemouth BT2

BT Sport Score on BT3 during the 3pm and 5:30pm windows.

8pm
    Arsenal v Man United BT1

Thursday 8pm
    Liverpool v Sheffield United BT1

TCP/IP wrote: »
    The future is streaming and it can’t come fast enough.
    Matches with 4K/HDR/Atmos and stats like X-ray yes please all day long.

Need to add pause, rewind, record, on demand etc before it will replace satellite for sport.

Will also need to add rock solid reliability and good frame rate.

The logistics for pubs and clubs will also need to be considered. Even Amazon put their games on satellite (with a little help from BT) for the benefit of commercial customers who need a stream that’s in sync for all their TVs and won’t suffer buffering or delay.

• Advertisement

The logistics for pubs and clubs will also need to be considered. Even Amazon put their games on satellite (with a little help from BT) for the benefit of commercial customers who need a stream that’s in sync for all their TVs and won’t suffer buffering or delay.

Right, as good as streaming is and the leaps and bounds we've seen in recent years specifically around TV programming, it still isn't quite there yet for live TV where even momentary buffering can ruin it, and the delay in coverage is a major issue.

I'm sure every single person who has watched live sport via stream has experienced getting texts from mates about goals or whatever, while your coverage is 1-2 minutes behind.

The likes of Sky and BT I am sure would absolutely jump at the chance of providing all their services via streaming, as it would basically mean anyone with internet can be a customer. But it's not ready yet.

Advertisement