Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

icdg wrote: »
    The logistics for pubs and clubs will also need to be considered. Even Amazon put their games on satellite (with a little help from BT) for the benefit of commercial customers who need a stream that’s in sync for all their TVs and won’t suffer buffering or delay.

Pubs and clubs as you say will follow the way customers lead them and don’t need to be held back by old ways of thinking. Satellite had its place of course but streaming is not only the future it’s now. All the issues over Christmas premier league has proven it.

awec wrote: »
    Need to add pause, rewind, record, on demand etc before it will replace satellite for sport.

Will also need to add rock solid reliability and good frame rate.

All these features are available if they are required.
    I was the biggest fan of traditional delivery methods but it’s time to move forward.

• Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Pubs and clubs as you say will follow the way customers lead them and don’t need to be held back by old ways of thinking. Satellite had its place of course but streaming is not only the future it’s now. All the issues over Christmas premier league has proven it.

Streaming is not now for live sport. There have been some pilots, most recently Amazon, but it's a million miles away from mainstream still.
    All these features are available if they are required.
    I was the biggest fan of traditional delivery methods but it’s time to move forward.

They're not there for live TV.

Streaming has really taken off for on-demand tv like Netflix because there's no delay issues, there's no buffering issues, there's no real time encoding issues. These are all big problems with live television.

Sky Go, which is probably the most prevalent streaming service of live sport in the UK and Ireland, is a noticeably lower quality picture than satellite and has a significant delay built in.

Satellite is a bollocks but it works. Streaming will get there eventually. When it's there I'll be the first to sign up, but I won't be abandoning my Sky Sports / BT Sport / Eir Sport satellite subscription any time soon. Watched Liverpool on Amazon the other night, it was good but I definitely don't trust it yet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They absolutely have to have their multiple TVs in sync (my relatively average size local has five of them in the one room, I struggle to count as to how many a place like Sinnotts or the Woolshed has) and that is seriously an issue because if one is ahead of the others the punters will gather around that and because they will be piping a commentary though the PA for a big match. Individual streaming devices like Chromecasts, Fire, or Roku sticks are not suitable. There are solutions but without a provider to assist you are basically on your own when it comes to installing and maintaining and pub staff are trained to pull pints, not figure out tech solutions. Suffice to say that even a big tech firm like Amazon decided to fall back to the “old ways” when it came to offering its matches to commercial customers.

Streaming is not now for live sport. There have been some pilots, most recently Amazon, but it's a million miles away from mainstream still.

They're not there for live TV.

Streaming has really taken off for on-demand tv like Netflix because there's no delay issues, there's no buffering issues, there's no real time encoding issues. These are all big problems with live television.

Sky Go, which is probably the most prevalent streaming service of live sport in the UK and Ireland, is a noticeably lower quality picture than satellite and has a significant delay built in.

Satellite is a bollocks but it works. Streaming will get there eventually. When it's there I'll be the first to sign up, but I won't be abandoning my Sky Sports / BT Sport / Eir Sport satellite subscription any time soon. Watched Liverpool on Amazon the other night, it was good but I definitely don't trust it yet.

You are wrong streaming is there and the technology is more than capable. I am a subscriber to Sky/BT/Eir/Premier just so I can watch all the sports but I already knew that streaming was 100% capable to replace satellite if you have the correct connection there are no buffering issues or delay issues and certainly no encoding issues, will we need to keep satellite for people that don't have a strong enough internet connection, yes but as a delivery method satellite, the end is very close writer you like it or not.

• Advertisement

They absolutely have to have their multiple TVs in sync (my relatively average size local has five of them in the one room, I struggle to count as to how many a place like Sinnotts or the Woolshed has) and that is seriously an issue because if one is ahead of the others the punters will gather around that and because they will be piping a commentary though the PA for a big match. Individual streaming devices like Chromecasts, Fire, or Roku sticks are not suitable. There are solutions but without a provider to assist you are basically on your own when it comes to installing and maintaining and pub staff are trained to pull pints, not figure out tech solutions. Suffice to say that even a big tech firm like Amazon decided to fall back to the “old ways” when it came to offering its matches to commercial customers.

Incorrect Amazon is using these round of games as a commercial test, not a technology test they already know the technology works and it does. I could set up a commercial system for say the Woolshed and it would have perfect sync and not lag issues once it had an over 50 meg connection and considering its location that would not be an issue. Its time to move on people and embrace the feature. Commercial properties will put the money into the correct systems because if they do not they will be left behind simple as. I agree Chromecasts, Fire, or Roku sticks are not the correct solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Apart from having a dish, what exactly is the drawback of satellite?

I’m not sure what you mean by “incorrect”. Amazon did offer the games to commercial customers in the UK only via satellite, not via steaming. In fact they did not allow commercial customers to access the games via the Prime Video service. See below and scroll to the FAQs

http://btsportbusiness.com/amazon/

You are wrong streaming is there and the technology is more than capable. I am a subscriber to Sky/BT/Eir/Premier just so I can watch all the sports but I already knew that streaming was 100% capable to replace satellite if you have the correct connection there are no buffering issues or delay issues and certainly no encoding issues, will we need to keep satellite for people that don't have a strong enough internet connection, yes but as a delivery method satellite, the end is very close writer you like it or not.
    Incorrect.

There is absolutely a delay and it has nothing to do with your internet connection.

I'm on a rock solid 250mb connection, probably the top 1% of speeds in Ireland, and there is a noticable lower quality on Sky Go vs satellite. It is still full HD, but the framerate is lower. Sky have to do this for bandwidth reasons. People with the usual Irish-level of broadband (read: most of Ireland) will have it even worse than I do.

Next time you're streaming a game on Sky Go, put it on satellite at the same time if you can. You will see your stream is 1-2 minutes behind the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,162 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Incorrect.

There is absolutely a delay and it has nothing to do with your internet connection.

I'm on a rock solid 250mb connection, probably the top 1% of speeds in Ireland, and there is a noticable lower quality on Sky Go vs satellite. It is still full HD, but the framerate is lower. Sky have to do this for bandwidth reasons. People with the usual Irish-level of broadband (read: most of Ireland) will have it even worse than I do.

Next time you're streaming a game on Sky Go, put it on satellite at the same time if you can. You will see your stream is 1-2 minutes behind the action.

Spot on there

Watching the recent PL matches on Amazon and seeing they were like 1-2 mins behind Premier Sports on Sat was ridiculous. I would expect that from illegal IPTV but I would expect better from Amazon.

Is there anyway they can actually stop that delay or this is something we'll have to put up with?

• Advertisement

Apart from having a dish, what exactly is the drawback of satellite?

The dish is the only real drawback.

Once streaming is good enough to replace live tv en-masse then theoretically a bunch of new pricing models should open up to customers.

When new providers bid for sports coverage, today they have to come up with a way of getting their content into people's homes, which usually means having to piggyback on one of the mainstream providers like Sky via Satellite, as this is the only reliable, widespread way of doing it. But it affects the price.

Look at Eleven Sports for example. It was streaming only, couldn't get any of the mainstream providers to take their content and they lost out big time as a result.

Headshot wrote: »
    Spot on there

Watching the recent PL matches on Amazon and seeing they were like 1-2 mins behind Premier Sports on Sat was ridiculous. I would expect that from illegal IPTV but I would expect better from Amazon.

Is there anyway they can actually stop that delay or this is something we'll have to put up with?

It's not on your end, so there's nothing you can do about it. It may improve in future but it's standard fare today.

The raw video has to be sent from the stadium via satellite to some other location, which then has to presumably send it to some data centre for encoding for internet transmission before it's finally sent over the internet to your home.

The extra processing adds a delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Incorrect.

That's sky's decision though, they could up pic quality & framerate anytime they choose. Didn't they recently up Now TV to 1080.
    There was no issue with the pic from Amazon, it got a lot praise in the threads I read on here.
    Live TV & sport streaming is happening all over, don't think you can say it's not ready. Pause rewind, record all you mention are already there.

I think people will just need to get used to the delay. A lot people are already used with it because of watching illegal streams.
    Not that big a deal to wait to half time to check your messages etc. & why would you even have notifications on for a game you're watching?
    But those games Amazon had were unique from an Irish view as premier had rights here people could compare - though we shouldn't have even seen them on Amazon - they'll usually be exclusive

It's the rights holders & TV + streaming companies who'll decide if it happens or not.
    How much are they willing to pay? Uefa have sold the champions league in Germany from 21/22 all online. Amazon taking 16 Tuesday games & DAZN the rest. Sky Deutschland having no rights after 20 years, not willing to outbid them.
    Given there wasn't great interest from streaming companies in the PL rights last time, the next one should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The dish is the only real drawback.

Once streaming is good enough to replace live tv en-masse then theoretically a bunch of new pricing models should open up to customers.

When new providers bid for sports coverage, today they have to come up with a way of getting their content into people's homes, which usually means having to piggyback on one of the mainstream providers like Sky via Satellite, as this is the only reliable, widespread way of doing it. But it affects the price.

Look at Eleven Sports for example. It was streaming only, couldn't get any of the mainstream providers to take their content and they lost out big time as a result.

That’s my point. I have a dish, actually a communal one. I never see it and it never causes trouble. I get 4K flawless sport. Every channel available. Record 7 things at the same time. Picture and UI is flawless. Hasn’t gone down once in 10 years. It involves one fibre optic cable coming in next to my broadband. Satellite just works. I also have 500mbit Virgin RFOG connection. It’s also super. But sky is better for live tv still and I have the full bandwidth available for all the streaming required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Acosta

Incorrect.

Regarding Sky Go, I'd get over the delay, but not the picture going blurry every couple of minutes for 30 seconds or more.

When they first launched their own Sky App, this wasn't an issue for several months and then suddenly it was back again. Very annoying. I only have Sky in SD and recently got a new bigger TV, which makes SD look even worse. As all of Sky Go is in HD i decided to give it a go via the Xbox for watching sport, but because of this blurry picture issue it's just pointless and annoying.

On the other hand the picture quality on Amazon Prime is perfect and I live in a rural area. I was watching stuff on it over the last few days for the first time and I can't fault it one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

The red button channels on Sky satellite are just as bad for delay. I was watching the Birmingham v Leeds game yesterday and the Sky Sports app on my phone alerted me about a minute and a half before each of the nine goals actually showed up on the red button feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

Hey guys. Quick query: I used to be able to watch bt sports premier League and champions League genres ooh my android device through the eir TV app, but no longer can. Is that collect? I'm an eir broadband customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hey guys. Quick query: I used to be able to watch bt sports premier League and champions League genres ooh my android device through the eir TV app, but no longer can. Is that collect? I'm an eir broadband customer.

BT sports is no longer part of the eir sport pack so that is correct. Virgin Media Sport was added as a partial replacement, they do have all the champions league...

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

dulpit wrote: »
    BT sports is no longer part of the eir sport pack so that is correct. Virgin Media Sport was added as a partial replacement, they do have all the champions league...

Cheers. So no more EPL, but Champions League yes?

Two pieces of Premier/Setanta news:

FreeSports has left the Irish Sky EPG, though it’s still available to eir TV or broadband customers via the app.

Meanwhile, Premier hook up with Box Nation, which has only been available at full price here since BT did their wholesale deal with Sky. There’s an ROI aspect to this deal (no doubt involving some sort of additional charge which U.K. customers don’t have to pay- sorry I’m getting cynical over the whole LaLiga TV thing - but it’s yet to be announced).

https://www.boxnation.com/boxing-news/boxnation-and-premier-sports-announce-exciting-new-strategic-partnership/

• Advertisement

FreeSports has left the Irish Sky EPG, though it’s still available to eir TV or broadband customers via the app.

It's also still on the Other Channels on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭OldRio

It's also on Freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

What’s the cheapest way to add br sports to a sky sky subscription and does anyone know the number to call to upgrade?

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    What’s the cheapest way to add br sports to a sky sky subscription and does anyone know the number to call to upgrade?

It's part of the Sky Sports Extra pack and you can add it to your subscription on the sky website. I think it's €10 a month for the first 6 months if you already have sky sports or €17 a month if you don't. There is some terms and conditions in the small print. If you sign up to it I think you must commit to keeping sky for another year or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Hi,
    would anybody know if there is a way to get Premier Sports without Sky? Via online stream or on the Eir TV app?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

TripleAce wrote: »
    Hi,
    would anybody know if there is a way to get Premier Sports without Sky? Via online stream or on the Eir TV app?

if you live in the uk you can sign up to premier player / over the Christmas i was home in cork and was able to use it so t doesn’t appear to be geoblocked - do note you don’t have access to the premier league games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

You can buy it on the Now tv streaming service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

kooga wrote: »
    if you live in the uk you can sign up to premier player / over the Christmas i was home in cork and was able to use it so t doesn’t appear to be geoblocked - do note you don’t have access to the premier league games.

Interesting to kbow that is not geoblocked, so i could enter a random address in the UK, pay by credit card and use the stream? I think i give a try, worst case scenario it wont work and lose 12£

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Just to say premier 1 & 2 are now on Sky Go App

Advertisement