Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I think it’s early to say what form the JV will take, and obviously this is only an announcement that talks have gone exclusive , not that a deal has been done. It could be anything from a JV that just happens to own both broadcasters to a fully integrated operation. A few thoughts though:

• the new JV will be a separate company from its existing shareholders, and isn’t one buying the other (yet). Obviously it inherits all of Eurosport and BT’s existing rights, but does it continue to participate in future pan-European rights acquisitions by Eurosport?
    • Do the Eurosport channels become part of the BT Sport pack? Given the premium nature of BT’s rights compared to Eurosport’s, things will hardly move in the other direction. Possible that sports content might be removed from D+ in the U.K. and Ireland if that happens.
    • What happens to BT’s wholesale deal with Sky in Ireland, which conveniently expires on 1st August (which is also likely to be the target date for this new company to start operations).
    • What now for DAZN? Stay as a niche boxing service? Wait two more years and try to blow the ES/BT combo out of the water for the FAPL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Will we have Eurosport 2,3,4 etc. The branding will be interesting how it will go. Maybe even change all to Discovery Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I doubt it will stay in the extra pack.more likely it will be added to discovery plus here as an extra to bump up the subs but who knows...

Wonder why Premier Sports isn’t showing Everton v Newcastle (which they should have the rights for, it’s in their package) tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Came on here wondering that too. It's a strange one.

• Advertisement

It might be due to the Europa League clash, UEFA used to frown on any other football being televised at the same time as European fixtures. But I say “used” and I have no doubt that if this game had been on Sky or BT it would have been shown here. It’s not like Premier had other live events tonight either. And it didn’t stop it being shown in other European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭fman

Have Premier just given up on the Premier League? No games currently listed for Saturday with Rugby set for both channels during the 3pm window.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,412 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

internationals this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭fman

Talking about next week.

Wait for during the week, Premier Sports have a habit of not finalising the schedule until very late in the day. The ROI 3pms are typically on Premier 2 these days.

• Advertisement

There’s a slot for a Premier League game now in the online schedule for Premier 2, Sat 2:30pm-5:20pm.

edit: It’s Burnley v Man City

Post edited by icdg on

Premier Sports 3pm picks to end April now up

https://www.premiersports.com/premierleague-roi

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

I don’t have BT Sports or Sky but I have an LG Smart TV with apps like nowTV and I hook up the laptop via HDMI.

read that I can’t get the BT Sport app on LG TV.

is my best bet for tomorrow night to try buy the sports package on now tv for a month? (If it has bt sport box office )

or go to Argos today and buy a chrome cast and try buy the fight through BT sport on the laptop? Thank you in advance/

im having a few friends over to my new house and left it a bit late in the day to organise, don’t want to disappoint with any crap streams!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Now TV doesn’t do box office.

I’m also not sure you can buy it online from BT if you live in Ireland. Check that out completely yourself. Try a dummy purchase today

You might have to look at ‘alternative’ routes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Irish customers can only order through Sky

Can I watch in the Republic of Ireland?

Yes. Customers in the Republic of Ireland will be able to purchase BT Sport Box Office via Sky at sky.com/boxoffice/btsport.

Things had gone quiet but the Warner Bros Discovery talks re BT Sport appear to be still on, according to a by-the-way-mention in a press release by BT today (in which they announced that their consumer business will be changing its name to EE later in the year).

Deal done. BT Sport and the U.K./Ireland operations of Eurosport will be contributed to a 50/50 JV owned by both parties but operated by WBD, with an option for WBD to acquire the lot down the road.

That presser states that BT sport had an operating loss of £222 million last year. Interesting to see Ireland specifically mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Whatever else happens I do hope that this results in Jake Humphrey and all the pundits and commentators involved in BTs premier league coverage being replaced.

eventually to merge into one brand (EUROSPORT) but not for now. will be interesting to see if discovery plus in ireland now offers BT sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Interesting that they didn't mention the Champions Cup rights on the press briefing. I think those rights are due to expire this summer.?

It’s more likely that the new brand will be Discovery Sport imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

The Champions cup Rugby? 8 year deal. Seems very long.

The Heineken Cup deal is not confirmed as of yet, and I would surprised if it does end being 8 years.

The brand probably won’t be Eurosport, though the new company will obviously keep a close association with Eurosport in terms of effectively being its U.K./Irish affiliate. I imagine however in the first instance, that BT Sport and Eurosport will continue as normal for another year, as this deal probably won’t conclude until next season is well under way, and I could see the new look package probably being launched around the start of August 2023.

Discovery+ won’t be offering BT Sport without a massive price increase, or maybe it could be an add on. “Direct” BT Sport (ie those who pay BT rather than another provider) customers will get D+ for free but at the moment there is no one in Ireland that falls into that category. That does bring up the question of the renewal of the exclusive wholesale deal with Sky which is due to expire on 1st August. It seems to be unclear as to whether the ROI rights to the Premier League are being automatically renewed like the U.K. rights and there been no announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

We might finally get the BT Sport Ultimate channel in this country.

Premier Sports showing Everton v Palace tonight. Were they owed a game (maybe the St Patrick’s Day fixture they should have had)?

Normally if a game is moved out of 3pm after they’ve picked it they’ll just show a different one, so they wouldn’t normally be owed games.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,412 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s a good match….

Though VAR should have palace down to 10 yet 60 seconds later the guy who 100% should be off, scoring for Palace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have heard from unofficial sources last night that Premier Sports have won the UK rights to show the Nations League games for Wales, NI & The Republic of Ireland. No announcement or time frame has been given for the new deal as of yet.

I wonder would that new deal for Premier be extended to The Republic of Ireland customers as well seeing that the VM rights here either have already expired or already close to it.

Advertisement