Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

This is all a bit nuts, so to get the same sports available in HD as we had before costs a feckin fortune - SS €34 + €15 for HD + Setanta €20 = €69 a month? That's €828 per annum, about €1,700 pre tax income??

My goodness.

Good job that most the sport I watch is on free tele, Rabodirect rugby, 6N, Ireland international football, cycling (ITV4) and Champions League football!

This sports tv industry is going to eat itself, can't see that Setanta package being of much interest to Irish subscribers I must admit.

I wonder will Setanta rethink their strategy with UPC in about 6 months time when the subscription take up, I suspect, will be rather poor. Much better having UPC pay them €3 per DigitalMax subscriber (say 200,000 of them) and earning €600k per month + incremental advertising revenue, rather than hoping they get a min 30k subscribers (I really have my doubts) to make the same money.

Perhaps the devil is in the agreement with BT, that they have to pay them x per subscriber?

I'm out anyway, might jack in UPC tv while I'm at it, nearly all the top channels are available freely anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

Zardoz wrote: »
    What deal did you get ?

no deal really just got them to issue me a setanta sub card so i can use in my sky box. waiting for the card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Brian017 wrote: »
    Moto GP and Live A-League football are the only other 2 that I can think of

Would have no interest in those at all.

Was the women's tennis on ESPN ?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

Would have no interest in those at all.

Was the women's tennis on ESPN ?

Yes it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

irishfeen wrote: »
    Rang Setanta there about half an hour ago, the Scottish lad answering the phone didn't seem to have a clue what was going on. I asked him whats the story with Setanta Ireland/1 in HD and whether they would launch before the PL kicks off... he got all mixed up saying the PL games are in HD and I said 33 of them are not. He was taken aback and had to ask someone and finally came back and said there is no plans to have HD channels on sky.... :rolleyes: ... I just said ring back when they are in HD and i'll subscribe thinking he'd offer me something... he just said OK and put the phone down.

Setanta Ireland HD is UPC exclusive and it's free no need for a subscription
    It's not available on Sky in HD

Setanta Sports 1 is not available in HD on any provider

Setanta Sports Sky Subscribtion
    Setanta Ireland
    Setanta Sports 1

HD Channels
    BT Sport 1 HD
    BT Sport 2 HD
    ESPN HD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

late to this thread, but have always had sky sports from UPC with ESPN. But am I right in saying thta now for the same cost there is no ESPN? and if i want to get the equivalent (BT) it will cost me an extra 16 euro p/month? so basically were paying the same for less? cancellation may be on the horizon...

mollser wrote: »
    This is all a bit nuts, so to get the same sports available in HD as we had before costs a feckin fortune - SS €34 + €15 for HD + Setanta €20 = €69 a month? That's €828 per annum, about €1,700 pre tax income??

My goodness.

Good job that most the sport I watch is on free tele, Rabodirect rugby, 6N, Ireland international football, cycling (ITV4) and Champions League football!

This sports tv industry is going to eat itself, can't see that Setanta package being of much interest to Irish subscribers I must admit.

I wonder will Setanta rethink their strategy with UPC in about 6 months time when the subscription take up, I suspect, will be rather poor. Much better having UPC pay them €3 per DigitalMax subscriber (say 200,000 of them) and earning €600k per month + incremental advertising revenue, rather than hoping they get a min 30k subscribers (I really have my doubts) to make the same money.

Perhaps the devil is in the agreement with BT, that they have to pay them x per subscriber?

I'm out anyway, might jack in UPC tv while I'm at it, nearly all the top channels are available freely anyway.

Most people use Sky Satellite
    not Upc for TV in Ireland

Setanta will have lot of new Subscriptions from sky users in ireland
    With BT Sport having the premiership football

The amount of upc customers taking the setanta pack will not affect them only add to the increased subscriptions they now are getting from sky users
    Most will be sky users and as majority of digital tv in Ireland is sky users

I don't think they will care about upc customers as much as they will towards getting sky users subscribe
    The deal lasts 3 years that's 3 years of new subscriptions they did not have before

What happens after the 3 years we will see if BT Sport still use Setanta or let subscribers go direct with them as they do in the UK

For now and next 3 years I say Setanta are very happy
    UPC was important to them before as there was no real inventive for sky users to use them now there is

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

antod wrote: »
    Did you see the promo for the Danny baker and Danny Kelly show thats one show to definitely miss.

I did and mother of god it looks bad although at least they showed some enthusiasm, unlike Owen, James and McManaman

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭teR_

What sort of prices are you all getting to subscribe to this on sky?

Just rang an few hours ago she was saying 20 quid a month and I asked her was multiroom included she said no, that it will cost and extra €3 pm to add the multiroom box?

Is that what everyone's hearing?

teR_ wrote: »
    What sort of prices are you all getting to subscribe to this on sky?

Just rang an few hours ago she was saying 20 quid a month and I asked her was multiroom included she said no, that it will cost and extra €3 pm to add the multiroom box?

Is that what everyone's hearing?
    €19.99 a month no connection fee if you join online
    You then get a message with confirmation of your subscription

Get free multi room on second sky box call customer service on this number to get your free multi room

I got this and a third sky box €2.99
    Total per month for 3 Sky Boxes subscriptions was €22.98

Note I have seen some customers got email join Setanta and get 2 months for €12.99 then €19.99 a month

You can have up to max 4 sky boxes with Setanta in a home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

got it for Eur 8.49 a month through Setanta. Was going to cancel at 20 euro a month.

Deal is only for two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭marco2068

bt sports isn't working for me even though i've had setanta for the last year and a half. neither is espn.

I'll have to ring them tomorrow, i can't believe their call center closes at 6pm. you'd think most would be trying to subscribe when they came home from work after 6

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Elro wrote: »
    Sorry if this was already answered but does anyone know what will be on ESPN now that all of its programming has moved to the BT Sports channels? I'm hoping it'll mostly be the stuff that was on ESPN America but I can't find any info it.

ESPN will be showing the American sports.

Elro wrote: »
    Sorry if this was already answered but does anyone know what will be on ESPN now that all of its programming has moved to the BT Sports channels? I'm hoping it'll mostly be the stuff that was on ESPN America but I can't find any info it.

Goto BT Sport Website
    They lists what sports will be shown
    On
    BT Sport
    Espn

With Setanta you get extra sports that's on there channels
    Setanta still have 33 prem games
    Irish games etc see Setanta for sports they have

A lot of Espn America was broadcast on espn
    You often had the same program's been shown same time

Some of the espn America will be on espn as before
    Except MLB games will not be shown
    If you want MLB baseball you can get this on iPhone or online streaming I not sure but I thinks it's €20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

paulboland wrote: »
    Some of the espn America will be on espn as before
    Except MLB games will not be shown
    If you want MLB baseball you can get this on iPhone or online streaming I not sure but I thinks it's €20

Chicago vs LA Dodgers was shown last night on ESPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

ESPN will be showing baseball but the level of coverage looks to be pitiful compared to what ESPN America had. A shame really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

lertsnim wrote: »
    ESPN will be showing baseball but the level of coverage looks to be pitiful compared to what ESPN America had. A shame really

I don't know if that's true. This weekend it's pretty poor but that's probably because the X-Games are on and as that's an ESPN flagship event, it's always going to get priority. I can't remember for sure but I'd say it was the same on the corresponding weekend last year on ESPN America. It's the same with the Little league World Series. MLB coverage always took a hit on that weekend as well.

I had a look at the schedule and there seems to be more coverage next week, although the usual Saturday 6pm game does seem to have been dropped for German football which is probably what will happen going forward.

Hopefully you're right and there will be more coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Hi,

Does anyone know the channel numbers for bt sport on UPC?

Just signed up but cant find the channels

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Hi,

Does anyone know the channel numbers for bt sport on UPC?

Just signed up but cant find the channels

Thanks

409 and 410

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Rizzo the Rat

I signed up yesterday for the annual package via Sky.
    2 issues: picture quality on BT Sport 1 HD for the Liverpool match was poor. Blurred image when close ups of players near the advertising hoardings. Anyone else find this?
    Also I rang today to get the package added to my multi-room box for free and was told it was not possible and I would have to pay. Anyone else got it free on the multi-room box by calling them?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

Just signed up for the monthly package to see what the BT coverage is like before deciding whether to go for the full year or not. Now for a weekend of watching the X Games. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

BT picture is defo not FULL HD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

That's hardly fair.

No channel broadcasts full HD but BT are putting out 1920x1080i - as good as any other. The difference with most (and why even RTÉ Two HD looks good at 1440x1080i) is the amount of channels sharing transponder space.

Are you watching on cable or satellite?

It's funny really - viewers on UK forums have been blown away by BT's HD picture, as have I. Other Irish viewers (or a couple here) appear to feel differently.

If you're viewing on cable it will obviously suffer a slight drop in quality.

One innovation I do like is showing the cutaways (of players on the bench for example) in-vision so that you miss no action on the pitch, I hope that continues into their PL coverage. And they don't seem as obsessed with replays as Sky are - a very good thing in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Almost all live sport is shot in 720p so it will never be Full HD.

Is Setanta Sports 1 now completely separate to Premier Sports? I ask as Setanta Sports 1 has rugby on now and I presume that Premier Sports will have the GAA on. No more blank screens perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

lertsnim wrote: »
    Is Setanta Sports 1 now completely separate to Premier Sports? I ask as Setanta Sports 1 has rugby on now and I presume that Premier Sports will have the GAA on. No more blank screens perhaps?
    No still the same SS1 is now blocked in Ireland as RTE's coverage of the GAA is being played out in the UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

http://www.live-footballontv.com/live-german-football-on-tv.html

improved bundesliga live coverage on bt/espn

it will be september how this coverage will be set up when serie A starts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Anyone able to tell me if the BT Sports HDs & ESPN HD are in the Setanta package over sat with Sky. Dont seem able to find anything to confirm it on the Setanta website....the are only mentioning BT Sports....etc. without HD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ckelly10

Hi guys might sound like a stupid question but how do you sign up for bt with sky? tried signing up on bt website but couldn't it said it didn't recognise my postcode. then tried ringing an 0800 no. but haven't got through all day must have the wrong no. or something! Any help would be greatly appreciated

Advertisement