Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Watched both game FTA on ITV4 HD :D

Watched that in a pub btw..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Not FTA at all then

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Ronan Devitt. I should tell you off for trolling. But I won't.

I gave in and subscribed to BT Sport/Setanta eventually (missed those 3pm Premier League games too much). To clarify something people were asking a while back, the cable version of Setanta Sports 1 carries a "Setanta 1" or "Setanta 1 Live" DOG, but otherwise is Premier Sports. Or at least it is during this mornings rugby league, where a full ad break from Premier Sports, including trailer and ident, was broadcast. Very confusing branding-wise.

BT Sport's presentation with its "Grandstand feel" is very unusual, since it escews such niceities as title sequences, idents, etc - just usually a cut to the studio at the start/end of breaks with the BT Sport logo and then the programme/competition logo overlaid. I guess they're trying to be original.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

icdg wrote: »
    I should tell you off for trolling. But I won't.

I gave in and subscribed to BT Sport/Setanta eventually (missed those 3pm Premier League games too much). To clarify something people were asking a while back, the cable version of Setanta Sports 1 carries a "Setanta 1" or "Setanta 1 Live" DOG, but otherwise is Premier Sports. Or at least it is during this mornings rugby league, where a full ad break from Premier Sports, including trailer and ident, was broadcast.

BT Sport's presentation with its "Grandstand feel" is very unusual, since it escews such niceities as title sequences, idents, etc - just usually a cut to the studio at the start/end of breaks with the BT Sport logo and then the programme/competition logo overlaid.
    Yeah overall I like the look of the channel but I think the logo and scorecard during matches are way too big and in the wrong place, they should be at the top of the screen so they would be placed in the crowd during the vast majority of the game. The logo should also be moved to the top/right of the screen and made transparent... did you hear about the uproar in the UK when they ran a solid black score update graphic during the rugby (after the 12.45 KO)... it looked terrible and i'm sure we won't see it again.

Other then that I am relatively impressed with what BT has offered so far, Ian Darke back commentating in UK/Ire is brilliant but the quality of analysis is a big let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

lertsnim wrote: »
    Not FTA at all then

Likely not even HD, most pubs wouldn't have the capabilities.

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    The logo should also be moved to the top/right of the screen and made transparent... did you hear about the uproar in the UK when they ran a solid black score update graphic during the rugby (after the 12.45 KO)... it looked terrible and i'm sure we won't see it again.

I saw that (during the "accidentally free" weekend), they basically treated the rugby as an afterthought during the football coverage, Jake Humphrey and the football panel stayed on and talked football before the match and during half time, and then of course the ridiculous top ticker with football scores. There was very little of the screen left for the rugby, I'd be surprised Premiership Rugby put up with it but tbh BT Sport are paying them so much money they seem to think all their Christmases have come at once at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

sorry if this has been asked but does anyone know if i, as an irish subscriber, can watch bt sports online now since iv subscribed to it with sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    sorry if this has been asked but does anyone know if i, as an irish subscriber, can watch bt sports online now since iv subscribed to it with sky?
    Short answer is no.

UK subscribers can view BT Sport online

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭batistuta9

The setanta/bt pack offer on until the end of the month - 2 months @ 12.99 - is that likely to reappear or continue?

I seen a post the other day saying subs were low and that was they reason for it. That it wasn't a good sign

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

batistuta9 wrote: »
    The setanta/bt pack offer on until the end of the month - 2 months @ 12.99 - is that likely to reappear or continue?

I seen a post the other day saying subs were low and that was they reason for it. That it wasn't a good sign
    I signed up a couple of weeks back and just 2 days ago I had a call from a guy in Setanta who started off with the usual waffle about how I was a much valued customer in the past and did I still support Man U etc but I interrupted him and told him I had already signed up again and that ended the call very quickly.

In hindsight Im sorry I told him as I should have let him continue to see was he going to make a better offer :(

• Advertisement

from that i'd say if you ring to cancel after the 2 months you'll get some offer from them or soon after it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭kooga

from that i'd say if you ring to cancel after the 2 months you'll get some offer from them or soon after it

correct , rang Friday next two months €12.99 a month, down from €19.99 plus I got the first month for €9.99 so not complaining

kooga wrote: »
    correct , rang Friday next two months €12.99 a month, down from €19.99 plus I got the first month for €9.99 so not complaining

that's great value i think, especially if you're into european football & with the HD channels being free too

that's great value i think, especially if you're into european football & with the HD channels being free too

for me its the rugby English and French leagues plenty of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

kooga wrote: »

Can you sign up at the 12.99 pm and then cancel after 2 months?...forget that, I see if your with UPC as I am that it's 16e per month

jay0109 wrote: »
    Can you sign up at the 12.99 pm and then cancel after 2 months?...forget that, I see if your with UPC as I am that it's 16e per month

upc had an over or have an offer if you sign up by sep 30th today you get two months free............if you do sign up make sure they waive the down grade fee if after the two months or a after a few months you decide to cancel.

again no Europa league on bt sport and espn. Although the bt sport 1 game at 8pm which is the wigan match is on setanta. All ok on ITV4 on FTa and Skybox

Anyone else flick to the match on 3E .. I must say it was the worst picture quality on satellite I have ever seen, it was brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Anyone else flick to the match on 3E .. I must say it was the worst picture quality on satellite I have ever seen, it was brutal.

watching it via UPC...not that bad

jay0109 wrote: »
    watching it via UPC...not that bad
    Your lucky so, it even makes Setanta SD look very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Your lucky so, it even makes Setanta SD look very good.
    Haha, I saw someone call TV3 Legovision. :D

sigmundv wrote: »
    Haha, I saw someone call TV3 Legovision. :D
    Ah now we wont be disrespectful to the Lego Group... TV3's picture makes any man or woman look worse then any Lego character :)

Ah now we wont be disrespectful to the Lego Group... TV3's picture makes any man or woman look worse then any Lego character :)

the picture on TV3 for the champions league is worst than the one on sky sports isn't it?

the picture on TV3 for the champions league is worst than the one on sky sports isn't it?
    SD is probably just slightly better on Sky Sports but the difference isn't much but between TV3 and Sky Sports HD the difference is breathtaking running about 4-5 times the bit rate of TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noobsaibot21

Hi all,

I'm planning to get the UPC Horizon Max 150 bundle (which has 20 HD channels - don't really want the phone) and also the Setanta pack. Are BT Sports 1, 2 and ESPN in HD on UPC (either with this bundle or full stop)?

Regards
    Noobsaibot21

Yup. And Setanta Ireland. Not Setanta Sports 1 (Premier Sports) though.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noobsaibot21

Cheers. Turns out that, over a year, I'd be actually better off just getting the max bundle with the phone as it's discounted for the first 6 months so works out cheaper. :rolleyes:

(67x6 + 97x6) < 91x12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/football/open-october-to-showcase-bt-sport-on-free-tv-S11363838425891

Their Freeview channel (BT Sports Preview) is showing programming after 7pm this week and next week. Obviously you need to be in range of a UK Freeview transmitter to get this. From Belfast it's on UHF ch 23.

Then on the weekend of October 26 and 27 (6pm Fri to 6am Mon) BT1, BT2 & ESPN are to be made available to 'any Freeview, Sky or Virgin' viewers. Don't know how this relates to RoI viewers, but I can't see these channels being FTA for this period due to territorial sporting rights etc. Would need at least an FTV card to watch.

They've picked a fortnight when a combination of the international break and the Heineken Cup mean that all UK and European football (other than a Conference match) and Premiership Rugby/Top 14 are all absent from the station. Filling the airtime this weekend for example is the A-League (the Australian soccer league - lots of it), South Korea v Brazil, Major League Baseball (on BT Sport 1 no less) and college American football (on both BT Sport 2 and ESPN).

Anyone that thought the closure of ESPN America meant the end of US sports on TV over here is in for a real treat on Saturday night, five channels worth of it at one point with the NHL on Setanta Ireland and NASCAR on Setanta Sports 1. As I say it is just the weekend that's in it with both the football and rugby attentions elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

Then on the weekend of October 26 and 27 (6pm Fri to 6am Mon) BT1, BT2 & ESPN are to be made available to 'any Freeview, Sky or Virgin' viewers. Don't know how this relates to RoI viewers, but I can't see these channels being FTA for this period due to territorial sporting rights etc. Would need at least an FTV card to watch.

They won't be FTA - that's why they're using the word "customers" - and not including Freesat "customers".

Advertisement