Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sky fixtures now confirmed as Chelsea v Sunderland (Sky One!!!) Hull v Manchester United (Sky Sports 1), Newcastle v West Ham (Sky Sports 3). Gut instinct is that Setanta will plump for Arsenal now but wouldn't be surprised if it were Liverpool or Man City's either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

http://www.setanta.com/ie/big-summer-of-sport-on-setanta/

most of the live sports are on itv/bbctv fta or will they block wimbledon on bbctv
    Setanta ireland should be on saorview as a teaser tv channel

copa america and uefa under 21s finals are the only things I will watch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭OldRio

ftakeith wrote: »
    http://www.setanta.com/ie/big-summer-of-sport-on-setanta/

most of the live sports are on itv/bbctv fta or will they block wimbledon on bbctv
    Setanta ireland should be on saorview as a teaser tv channel

copa america and uefa under 21s finals are the only things I will watch

Why would Setanta pay the exorbitant fees for a channel on Saorview when in your own words 'most of the live sports are on itv/bbc fta?

Wimbledon is a big acquisition for Setanta in their own right don't know why they're not shouting louder about it? TG4 had the rights for about a decade. Can't see the BBC coverage being blocked (it cannot be on satellite anyway). Presumably that one will be for Setanta Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

Unless they show Wimbledon in HD on satellite then I don't know why Setanta bother getting rights to sports that are available freely on another channel. Unless of course their plan is to show matches not on the main BBC channels which too would be pointless as they wouldn't get the viewing figures.

• Advertisement

If anything their coverage will probably be less than that the BBC offers, since the BBC has two channels and the red button to play with. Add to that the fact that eveyone with Setanta also has the BBC, which wasn't the case for TG4.

icdg wrote: »
    If anything their coverage will probably be less than that the BBC offers

Even if the BBC had no red button streams Setanta couldn't compete. The BBC will be completely HD, no adverts and DOG free. The only thing that this deal does is take Wimbledon off terrestrial television here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

OldRio wrote: »
    Why would Setanta pay the exorbitant fees for a channel on Saorview when in your own words 'most of the live sports are on itv/bbc fta?

Why would Setanta pay for Wimbledon? RTÉ dropped Wimbleton because according to RTÉ most viewers watched it on BBC. I assume they also took the same decision for Tour De France, which I suspect Setanta may buy depending on when rights become available.

Saorview actually has a lot to offer Setanta: -

1. For a Live or As Live sports channel it gets less than Sky Sports News in terms of audience. The audience would drastically increase if made available Free on Saorview and on the basic Sky Package.
    2. As pointed out most people who have access to Setanta have access to BBC Sport, ITV Sport, Sky Sport and EuroSport. Will Setanta even use its own comentators on such sports or use someone else's feed? Saorview would provide people without these channel another option.
    3. From a marketing perspective it would possibly be cheaper to try to gain an audience on Setanta Ireland, Setanta won't do this via UPC's basic package alone.
    4. 3e practical relies on Saorview for its audience, Setanta Ireland could achieve the same audience in no time on Saorview.
    5. Setanta could gobble up more sporting rights. All of the sports either designated as FTA Live or As Live and also all of the sports that we expect to be live. Imagine without having to fork out millions on FTA Satellite rights for such games it would and could buy them at a lower rate.
    6. These FTA sporting events could then sell the Pay sporting events. Looking for a different Tennis match, Okay its on BBC 2 but its also available on Setanta Sports 1. 40 FTA GAA games, 40 Pay GAA games (Only on Setanta), FTA Irish soccer Qualifiers and Pay Irish soccer Friendlies and so on (Only on Setanta).
    7. They'd actually be entitled to the Sound and Vision Fund.
    8. Advertising Revenue, RTÉ2 relies on sporting events.

Elmo wrote: »
    Why would Setanta pay for Wimbledon? RTÉ dropped Wimbleton because according to RTÉ most viewers watched it on BBC. I assume they also took the same decision for Tour De France, which I suspect Setanta may buy depending on when rights become available.

1. For a Live or As Live sports channel it gets less than Sky Sports News in terms of audience. The audience would drastically increase if made available Free on Saorview and on the basic Sky Package.
    2. As pointed out most people who have access to Setanta have access to BBC Sport, ITV Sport, Sky Sport and EuroSport. Will Setanta even use its own comentators on such sports or use someone else's feed? Saorview would provide people without these channel another option.
    3. From a marketing perspective it would possibly be cheaper to try to gain an audience on Setanta Ireland, Setanta won't do this via UPC's basic package alone.
    4. 3e practical relies on Saorview for its audience, Setanta Ireland could achieve the same audience in no time on Saorview.
    5. Setanta could gobble up more sporting rights. All of the sports either designated as FTA Live or As Live and also all of the sports that we expect to be live. Imagine without having to fork out millions on FTA Satellite rights for such games it would and could buy them at a lower rate.
    6. These FTA sporting events could then sell the Pay sporting events. Looking for a different Tennis match, Okay its on BBC 2 but its also available on Setanta Sports 1. 40 FTA GAA games, 40 Pay GAA games (Only on Setanta), FTA Irish soccer Qualifiers and Pay Irish soccer Friendlies and so on (Only on Setanta).

Elmo

totally agree

Setanta's saorview channel could a teaser for the setanta pack
    Setanta Ireland show the same live italian/french football as BT Sport which is a waste of time because setanta show the world feed while most people watch these games on bt sport, its a waste of time for setanta to show the same games

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

what kind of offers are ppl getting on the setanta pack at the moment ? a rep rang and offered me four month @ 9.99, given that the content will be absolute tripe over the summer this is a shocking deal. i told him i'd only sign up for the 12 months for 99e like they offered on black friday... any hope of this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    what kind of offers are ppl getting on the setanta pack at the moment ? a rep rang and offered me four month @ 9.99, given that the content will be absolute tripe over the summer this is a shocking deal. i told him i'd only sign up for the 12 months for 99e like they offered on black friday... any hope of this ?

i too got a call last night as my current deal of 3 months at €9.99 a month is due to expire next week and i had given my 30 days notice to cancel.

Anway i took the above offer of 4 months at €9.99 a month as it would be cheaper than going out to watch the aviva premiership final on the 30th of May.

Anway in my diary to ring back before the end of august to renegotiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Setanta Ireland are showing Man City V Southampton.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

I want to get Setanta just for the Copa América what's the best way to do this just sign up the day before the tournament and then the next day call up to give my 30 days notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,025 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I want to get Setanta just for the Copa América what's the best way to do this just sign up the day before the tournament and then the next day call up to give my 30 days notice?
    On face value, yes, thats the best way. But bear in mind that the 30 days notice you give only kicks in from your next billing date. So get them to agree a billing date of the day or two days following the date you sign up and then call in and cancel before that billing date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

I think you have to take a minimum of two months sub

Setanta going on Saorview is a complete non runner in business terms. It makes absolutely no economic sense for them. Yes its audience would increase. Why? Because it's free.
    You and I may like another free sports service but it won't happen.

Setanta going on Saorview is a complete non runner in business terms. It makes absolutely no economic sense for them. Yes its audience would increase. Why? Because it's free.
    You and I may like another free sports service but it won't happen.

Tell me why it's a complete non-runner from a business perspective. And why it makes no economic sense.

Tell me why it's a complete non-runner from a business perspective. And why it makes no economic sense.

Elmo

Sport1 in Germany is a teaser channel to promote most of the same content like the setanta pack

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

BT Sport will also have a teaser channel on Freeview to entice viewers to the BT Sport pack in the UK.

The cost of putting a channel on Saorview. The carriage costs are ridiculous.

• Advertisement

The cost of putting a channel on Saorview. The carriage costs are ridiculous.

Even if you go with the so called ridiculous carriage costs Setanta Ireland for the Setanta Group would be better off financially by going FTA.

The cost does not outweigh the benefits as I pointed out Setanta would be in a position to buy Designated FTA sports and other sports that sporting organisations largely designated as FTA.

I am not talking about a purely standard teaser channel that have been mentioned by FTA Keith or dublinman1990 but an actual viewing grabbing channel.

Instantly Setanta would save on marketing as it would have its own FTA audience and become mentioned in newspaper etc without much need to have an expensive advertising campaign.

I would wonder if Setanta make any money from advertising with such a low 0.3% audience share is it even worth their while selling such advertising? Do they make money on UPC's basic pack? and are they selling advertising on Setanta Sports 1, which would bring the secrecy surrounding TAM ratings for other channels into questions. Advertising sales seems to be something that Setanta might consider dropping considering the costs involved. Okay so Setanta isn't going to mop up a huge amount of FTA content but you'd have to ask why Wimbledon is important to the channel, considering its availability on BBC. Will it increase audience share for the channel?

As pointed out by others I imagine Setanta is looking to BT to buy them out.

You do know the carriage cost per year for SD and HD on Saorview? If not I would check if I were you. You will be shocked by the 'so called ridiculous carriage costs'

So let me get the right.

Setanta pay to go onto Saorview. Buy FTA rights to sporting events.
    Cut back on marketing. Drop its advertising sales.

Only one way that plan would go.

You do know the carriage cost per year for SD and HD on Saorview?

Do tell

And TG4 earns around 1.5million on advertising revenue each year. For channel with less than 2% audience share and the ability to sell only 6mins on average of ads per hour (Max of 9), 3 hours of which are ad free (Children's programming for the under 6s, though you have to also include France24). And you'll agree that largely speaking TG4's audience is for sport and you'll also note that clearly TG4 is a niche public service broadcaster, public funded. (Though its ad revenue pays for Transmission, and at one point all of TG4 ad revenue paid for Sports and Analogue carriage).

Then take 3e audience share of 2.5% the ability to sell advertising for 12 mins, just like Setanta. (Marketing of 3e well its light). We can give a educated guess that 3e has the ability to get about 7million in Ad revenue, of which €500,000 goes to Saorview. (though actually its higher). The ablity to cross promote TV3 has also saved TV3 from losing more viewers.

I would not expect Setanta Ireland to go HD on Saorview.

TG4 spend 3million on Sports, I assume that Setanta didn't splash out on Wimbledon but it won the rights from a smaller competitor, a sport no else wanted, which available on a FTA network which have a reach of more than 50%, Setanta Ireland's reach is just 18%.

How much does an advertising sales executive cost?

Also Setanta effectively have bought FTA rights to Wimbledon, its unlikely that the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club even considered Setanta a Pay TV channel, I'd wonder if they have to specifically put GAA games on a Pay TV channel, unlikely. And its possible that Setanta could buy the TG4 GAA sporting rights along with their current set of rights. Considering TG4 don't spend that much on sporting rights.

Though most rights are locked for the next 3 years. See I am giving you ammunition and all you can talk about is €500,000!

Even if you go with the so called ridiculous carriage costs Setanta Ireland for the Setanta Group would be better off financially by going FTA.

You should get a job with them as they clearly have no idea what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,537 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Do tell

From July 1st this year the rate is €388.47 per kbps.

Based on that a 6 Mbps HD channel would cost €2,330,820 per year and a 2.4 Mbps SD channel €932,328 per year. Charges are billed on actual bitrate used.

You should get a job with them as they clearly have no idea what they are doing.

Yeah setanta AFAIR never have made a bad business decision and their success in the UK is testament to that and the high viewing levels in Ireland.

Thank The Cush FTA service is possible IMO

Yeah setanta AFAIR never have made a bad business decision and their success in the UK is testament to that and the high viewing levels in Ireland.

Name a company that has never made a bad decision? Why do you choose to ignore the parts of their business that are still operating?

All I ever read around here is fantasy and speculation. If having a FTA channel on Saorview would be to their benefit then why would they not have thought of it already?

• Advertisement

Name a company that has never made a bad decision? Why do you choose to ignore the parts of their business that are still operating?

All I ever read around here is fantasy and speculation. If having a FTA channel on Saorview would be to their benefit then why would they not have thought of it already?

It is pure fantasy/speculation. But the argument against is pure only one of why talk of something that won't happen.

only for BT Sport is Setanta able to continue, is Setanta ireland or sports 1 worthwhile? Would anyone be interest in just those channels alone?

Advertisement