Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They survived without BT for four years after the collapse of their UK operation, though they still had the Magners League, Top 14, and Conference for a chunk of that time. Setanta are peddling Setanta Sports 1 as a standalone channel (Premier Sports) in the UK and somebody is buying it, though I suspect Irish (GAA), Australian (NRL) and Canadian (NHL) expats make up a huge part of its audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    They survived without BT for four years after the collapse of their UK operation, though they still had the Magners League, Top 14, and Conference for a chunk of that time. Setanta are peddling Setanta Sports 1 as a standalone channel (Premier Sports) in the UK and somebody is buying it, though I suspect Irish (GAA), Australian (NRL) and Canadian (NHL) expats make up a huge part of its audience.

I though they lost GAA to GAA GO and Sky Sports?

Anyway regardless my point is that Setanta Ireland could be on Saorview, but to be honest I doubt they have ever thought about it. They certainly should not get Sound and Vision Funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

Elmo wrote: »
    I though they lost GAA to GAA GO and Sky Sports?

Premier Sports continues to show GAA matches shown on RTE to UK viewers.

Yes, and they have the Saturday night national league rights in both the UK and Ireland and the rights to all televised league games in the UK.

To put it another way Premier Sports can show any televised GAA match in the UK except those being shown by Sky Sports. It is all blocked in Ireland except Saturday night national League games.

Yes, and they have the Saturday night national league rights in both the UK and Ireland and the rights to all televised league games in the UK.

To put it another way Premier Sports can show any televised GAA match in the UK except those being shown by Sky Sports. It is all blocked in Ireland except Saturday night national League games.

Do you get Premier Sports with the Setanta Pack in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Yes - in its guise as Setanta Sports1. It is fully branded on air as Premier Sports except during programming aimed solely at Ireland and the only differences are:
    - Premier League 3pms and Champions League air only in Ireland (blocked in UK)
    - GAA programming other than Saturday night league games air only in Great Britain (blocked in ROI and NI).
    - DOG on cable version reads "Setanta 1". Cable version also (sometimes) has filler programmes while GAA airs (typically rugby league repeats).

Some suggestions that changes to the BT Sport subscription arrangements in the UK will be announced on 9th June (Tuesday week). Shouldn't affect us here due to the Setanta deal, but interesting to watch nonetheless - the proposal seems to be that the Champions League will be on a seperate channel which would be paid for seperately from BT Sport 1&2 and ESPN.

http://www.cityam.com/216705/bt-reveal-how-much-fans-will-pay-watch-champions-league

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Some suggestions that changes to the BT Sport subscription arrangements in the UK will be announced on 9th June (Tuesday week). Shouldn't affect us here due to the Setanta deal, but interesting to watch nonetheless - the proposal seems to be that the Champions League will be on a seperate channel which would be paid for seperately from BT Sport 1&2 and ESPN.

http://www.cityam.com/216705/bt-reveal-how-much-fans-will-pay-watch-champions-league
    Extra 3-4 euro added to the Setanta channel to bring it up to 24.99perhaps?

Wouldn't be surprised if that happened TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭OldRio

Interesting move by BT. I wonder if Sky might follow.
    I wonder if this could see a shift towards paying for specific sport channels (eg Soccer channel, Cricket channel, Rugby channel etc) Rather than, as now, lumping subscriptions together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

The Setanta pack is not even worth 20 euro let alone 25. When the long awaited player arrives that will be an added bonus. But with the main champions league games each week both fta no reason to subscribe just for that, and if the 3pm games are anything like this year..... Well that's a discussion for another day

I though Setanta had all of the Champions and Europa League games and that both TV3 and RTÉ hold FTA rights in RoI. Are Setanta going to have a stand alone channel for UEFA?

Joo0 wrote: »
    But with the main champions league games each week both fta no reason to subscribe just for that

If you want to see more than Manchester United or Chelsea then I disagree completely. The main game is usually Manchester United v anyone or similar. This is not good for anybody who wants to see other teams.

Elmo wrote: »
    I though Setanta had all of the Champions and Europa League games and that both TV3 and RTÉ hold FTA rights in RoI. Are Setanta going to have a stand alone channel for UEFA?

They do. Remember RTE and TV3's rights are now non-exclusive so there's no issue with BT's coverage being broadcast.

I'd imagine they will have any new channels that are added to the BT Sport pack (which it looks like will have at least two new channels - the FTA channel which seems to have the working name BT Sport Showcase, and the Champions League service). If you mean a Setanta-branded service, no I don't think so, though I'd say there will be at least one match broadcast each match night on Setanta Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Captain Don Thorpe

I cancelled my sub to Setanta that was supposed to run until the 2nd of June but was cut off yesterday, meaning I miss all the football this weekend. Unbelievable.

If you want to see more than Manchester United or Chelsea then I disagree completely. The main game is usually Manchester United v anyone or similar. This is not good for anybody who wants to see other teams.

The majority of premier league followers in Ireland support either United or Liverpool. I don't want to pay for Setanta expecting to see top 4 teams play like previous years and get games like burnly vs qpr. This has a knock on effect for pubs who pay for Setanta to attract people in on Saturday afternoons. Won't get people in for burley vs qpr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The majority of premier league followers in Ireland support either United or Liverpool. I don't want to pay for Setanta expecting to see top 4 teams play like previous years and get games like burnly vs qpr. This has a knock on effect for pubs who pay for Setanta to attract people in on Saturday afternoons. Won't get people in for burley vs qpr

There shouldnt be restrictions on how many teams Setanta can show in the first place, we are not in the UK and every country outside the UK are not restricted to quotas on showing certain Premier League teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

With Liverpool in the group stages of the Europa League next season Setanta have excluisive rights to games so Thursday nights should do well for them. Spurs and southampton aswell and maybe Celtic if they don't get into Champions League so its a good opportunity for them to build decent audiences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Badabing wrote: »
    With Liverpool in the group stages of the Europa League next season Setanta have excluisive rights to games so Thursday nights should do well for them. Spurs and southampton aswell and maybe Celtic if they don't get into Champions League so its a good opportunity for them to build decent audiences.

I am in the minority

I have the setanta pack for live european football

I will be watching mostly the non live english games in the champions league/europa league on the red button

I have the annual package which I will renew in August

UEFA under 21 final and the copa america are live in june

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Has Bt Sport announced their lineup of Pre-Season Friendlies yet?

• Advertisement

My comment was in relation to the Champions League.

Reports on UK sites that two BT Sport Preview channels have appeared on the Sky EPG in the UK today on 457 and 458, don't appear to be on the Irish EPG.

So 2 channels that will be free?
    With the addition of champions league on btsport do you think they will start an Irish ad feed anytime soon?

Depends on what is in their agreement with Setanta I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Reports on UK sites that two BT Sport Preview channels have appeared on the Sky EPG in the UK today on 457 and 458, don't appear to be on the Irish EPG.

They launched on the UK EPG on 18th May

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Those channels are also showing promos for BT services not available in this country such as BT TV. It might be a case that they do not appear here until they are showing BT Sport only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭robwen

Anyone know does this email customerservicesire@setanta.com work for giving my notice to cancel Setanta or is there another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

it works

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

robwen wrote: »
    Anyone know does this email customerservicesire@setanta.com work for giving my notice to cancel Setanta or is there another one?

you need to phone setanta to cancel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭robwen

ftakeith wrote: »
    you need to phone setanta to cancel

it says a minimum of one month’s written notice within 30 days

https://secure.setantasubs.com/terms-and-conditions

Advertisement