Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

ftakeith wrote: »
    In my view, Setanta Ire's live coverage of the eng prem league is much better than BT sport's coverage

You have approximately 7 games left of this before they lose the rights

icdg wrote: »
    Only the highlights show is listed FTV in the EPG.
    Setanta Ireland has Dortmund v Spurs at 6 and Liverpool v Man Utd at 8

Notice these games are on both Setanta & BT Sports channels. Whats the situation re the RoI? Are they viewable on both, or geoblocked on BT?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Notice these games are on both Setanta & BT Sports channels. Whats the situation re the RoI? Are they viewable on both, or geoblocked on BT?

Not get-blocked anymore on BT, they were last season I believe.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Geoblocking stopped with the new contact, Setanta have the rights to broadcast all Champions and Europa League games now.

Though I note tonight they aren't bothering with Chelsea v PSG, there being no other games in the slot (St Petersburg v Benfica having kicked off at 5:00pm). RTE and BT Sport Europe are showing the Chelsea game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Geoblocking stopped with the new contact, Setanta have the rights to broadcast all Champions and Europa League games now.

Though I note tonight they aren't bothering with Chelsea v PSG, there being no other games in the slot (St Petersburg v Benfica having kicked off at 5:00pm). RTE and BT Sport Europe are showing the Chelsea game.

From what I've seen when there's a game on either RTE or TV3 Setanta won't show that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Only the highlights show is listed FTV in the EPG.
    Setanta Ireland has Dortmund v Spurs at 6 and Liverpool v Man Utd at 8 (good news for Virgin customers anyway).

Setanta 1 has Basel v Seville at 6 and Athletic Bilbao v Valencia at 8.

And according to their listings http://www.setanta.com/tv-listings the 2nd leg of Man Utd v Liverpool is on Setanta Ireland next week - Paddy's night

So is there no FTV game this week, or is the EPG wrong? It would be the first week since the start of the Europa League group stages that there is no FTV game, which I guess would disprove the notion that Setanta are required to show one game FTV each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

ftakeith wrote: »
    I used the Setanta Go last week, its very good

The 'setanta pack' is better value than Sky Sport in my view.
    I watch more on BT sport.
    Live Champions League/Europa League games finally getting the coverage.

In my view, Setanta Ire's live coverage of the eng prem league is much better than BT sport's coverage

While it's nice to have an Irish channel broadcasting games Setantasports performance has been poor. Remember last season when they didn't notice a goal was disallowed for a good five minutes?
    The studio and the on screen graphics look like something from paint.
    It will be very interesting to see how subscribers react when they notice they are showing less games.

No FTV game listed next week either.

Setanta Ireland - 20:00 Manchester United v Liverpool (Pre-Game Show starting at 19:00!) FTV Highlights Show at 22:15.
    Setanta 1 - 18:00 Valencia v Athletic Bilbao, 20:00 Tottenham Hotspur v BVB Borussia Dortmund
    BT have opted not to show any of the 18:00 KOs on the "front channels", with Seville v Basel on BT Sport 2 at 20:00 (MU v LIV on BT Sport Europe, TOT v DOR on BT Sport 1).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

BT have opted not to show any of the 18:00 KOs on the "front channels"

That's disappointing. The picture quality on the Extra channels is woeful.

• Advertisement

Worth noting, I suppose, that Manchester United v Liverpool would have been a 6:00pm KO had the local authority not requested it be moved to 8:00pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Berty44 wrote: »
    I had exact same experience, told me to take a hike.

My cancellation was to happen this coming week after I declined an offer to extend for €16.99 for 3 months a few weeks back when I cancelled and paid €25.00 full price for the last final month.

I got a phone call today from them asking why I was cancelling etc and at the end of the conversation I was offered two months at €9.99 OR 6 months at €12.99 ( what I previously had being paying on a deal ). Went with the latter for the 6 months.

So is there no FTV game this week, or is the EPG wrong? It would be the first week since the start of the Europa League group stages that there is no FTV game, which I guess would disprove the notion that Setanta are required to show one game FTV each week.

Dortmund v Spurs at 6pm on Thursday was listed as FTV on the Virgin EPG

That'd have made no sense since it was on Setanta Ireland, and all Virgin customers receive Setanta Ireland!

That said, I do remember the "Free View" tag in the EPG from when I had UPC (as was) even though it made no sense on that platform. Just the EPG data they were supplied I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

palace v leicester live last saturday is Setanta Ire's last decent game of the season in relation to title winning live games.

its sky sport that has all the big games now until the end of the season

Next season, I hope Setanta ire could do a deal with BT Sport to sub-licence 230pm German Bundesliga Saturdays live games as they are partners in ireland and I hope Eir could find a way of having Setanta Ireland on saorview connect to promote the rest of the setanta pack

Being discussed elsewhere but worth a mention, Setanta will lose Formula One rights by 2019 at the latest thanks to a deal between Sky and FOM to give Sky the exclusive Irish and UK rights from 2019 to 2024.

Being discussed elsewhere but worth a mention, Setanta will lose Formula One rights by 2019 at the latest thanks to a deal between Sky and FOM to give Sky the exclusive Irish and UK rights from 2019 to 2024.

Setanta's coverage was just the world feed coverage in recent years

Its best coverage was its own made coverage

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/03/analysis-the-numbers-show-why-formula-1-took-the-exclusive-sky-deal/

There was a bidding war for the F1 live UK/Irish rights.
    BT Sport is making Sky get live sport TV rights before maybe the next champions league tv tender

Can't remember if this has happened before but tonights Republic of Ireland v Switzerland friendly is on both Setanta Ireland and Premier Sports. However for satellite viewers it appears Setanta Sports 1 (Premier Sports), which is HD, will be blocked for the duration in order to make people watch on Setanta Ireland (SD only). While I can understand from an advertising point of view they'd want ROI viewers to watch on Setanta Ireland rather than Setanta Sports 1, its a bit annoying while Setanta Ireland remains SD only that they'd block the channel (that they own!) showing the match in HD. Its not a problem for cable customers who get Setanta Ireland HD.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭mike2084

Can't remember if this has happened before but tonights Republic of Ireland v Switzerland friendly is on both Setanta Ireland and Premier Sports. However for satellite viewers it appears Setanta Sports 1 (Premier Sports), which is HD, will be blocked for the duration in order to make people watch on Setanta Ireland (SD only). While I can understand from an advertising point of view they'd want ROI viewers to watch on Setanta Ireland rather than Setanta Sports 1, its a bit annoying while Setanta Ireland remains SD only that they'd block the channel (that they own!) showing the match in HD. Its not a problem for cable customers who get Setanta Ireland HD.

Spotted this too tonight an annoying state of affairs.

• Advertisement

Customers come second. Advertisers first.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

lertsnim wrote: »
    Customers come second. Advertisers first.

Not to mention this issue of adverts on premium pay TV channels.

Also they will be doing it again on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Does anyone know what's going on with Setanta GO? The beta seems to still be going on! It's a long time in beta now.......

Ah, I've never seen a project move at such snails pace - it's particularly annoying when UK customers have access to the seemingly excellent BT Sport app.

Meanwhile, BT extend their FA Cup rights to 2021:

http://www.thefa.com/news/the-fa-cup/2016/apr/broadcast-deal-woth-bbc-and-bt-sport-extended-120416

What are the viewing figures like for BT Sports Showcase on Terrestrial TV. You'd wonder why Sky and BT don't use their FTA channels to better effect.

Anyway if BT think they can maintain the fees they pay to UEFA a second deal will be done. Premium pay is about subscriptions not viewers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/02/12/uefa-concerned-by-bt-sports-dismal-champions-league-viewing-figu/

They don't want to use them to better effect. They are in the pay TV business. BT pretend Showcase doesn't exist at all. If there really is a problem at UEFA (and this is just one tabloid newspaper) I suspect it is due to BT keeping strictly to the letter of their deal with UEFA regarding FTA coverage and nothing more. The FTA matches are getting zero promotion - nothing.

They don't want to use them to better effect. They are in the pay TV business. BT pretend Showcase doesn't exist at all. If there really is a problem at UEFA (and this is just one tabloid newspaper) I suspect it is due to BT keeping strictly to the letter of their deal with UEFA regarding FTA coverage and nothing more. The FTA matches are getting zero promotion - nothing.

I think Sky and BT both do this. The fact that Sky don't even use their brand on their FTA channels. I think both are missing a trick. Imagine the ad revenues they would earn with a mainstream channel that had FTA sporting events, along with the promotion of their pay services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Elmo wrote: »
    I think Sky and BT both do this. The fact that Sky don't even use their brand on their FTA channels. I think both are missing a trick. Imagine the ad revenues they would earn with a mainstream channel that had FTA sporting events, along with the promotion of their pay services.

How many Sky channels are FTA?

Advertisement