Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Sky News, Pick, Pick +1, Challenge and Challenge +1 are the only ones I can think of

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Bt showcase is a joke.

The British football fan is being ripped off and the Tory government dont seem to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭marco2068

has anyone info on how to connect to setanta go? i already subscribe to setanta sports but cant seem to find where to register for setanta go? thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

marco2068 wrote: »
    has anyone info on how to connect to setanta go? i already subscribe to setanta sports but cant seem to find where to register for setanta go? thanks guys

https://www.setantago.com

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭marco2068

Berty44 wrote: »

thanks, you would think there would be some info about it on the website. i only found out because i had to get my card paired to my box again and the guy in the call center told me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Setanta showing Everton vs Southampton today ,only channel in Europe showing this meaningless match .

I was hoping they'd have the Newcastle match. An internet stream will have to make do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Setanta showing Everton vs Southampton today ,only channel in Europe showing this meaningless match .

3 Irish players started the match and Everton do have a decent Irish following

3 Irish players started the match and Everton do have a decent Irish following

If they had the choice they would have shown United v Villa. The BT tie up has restricted them massively. Interested to see how Sky fare with the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Can someone explain briefly why the BT Sport deal restricts Setanta so much in terms of 3pm matches they can show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

sigmundv wrote: »
    Can someone explain briefly why the BT Sport deal restricts Setanta so much in terms of 3pm matches they can show?

They are only allowed show each team a maximum of 5 times a season .
    So big teams like Man Utd and Liverpool with the biggest fan base can only be shown 5 times a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Does anyone know what price sky charge for all their sports channels that show EPL games? Sky sports, BT, setanta etc.

Cheers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

So big teams like Man Utd and Liverpool with the biggest fan base can only be shown 5 times a season.

We don't know that is a direct cause of the BT deal - here is the only place I have ever seen that said. We do know that there were no package limits until the 2013-14 season and now there are. But we will see if Sky have to adhere to the same limits next season.
    Does anyone know what price sky charge for all their sports channels that show EPL games? Sky sports, BT, setanta etc.

Cheers.

It appears Sky no longer break out the price for Sky Sports...

The Original Bundle + Sky Sports is the cheapest bundle that includes Sky Sports and costs €67 per month once discounts are removed.

Setanta Sports is €25 per month.

On a completely different note, it appears Setanta is no longer available in Northern Ireland and customers there are being moved to Premier Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Do you think we will ever see the day when every match is broadcast? Perhaps removing this Saturday 15.00 rule or moving all matches to a different time/day slot?

It certainly is moving in that direction, in respect of the Premier League, but quite slowly. Next year there will be less Saturday 3pm FAPL matches than ever, and while Friday Night Football is, this time around, still very much an experiment (it will comprise of matches moved out of the Monday Night Football package) I could see it becoming more regular from 2019 onwards if it's a big success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Liverpool v Newcastle is this Saturday's 3pm game

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭notmyusername

icdg wrote: »
    We don't know that is a direct cause of the BT deal - here is the only place I have ever seen that said. We do know that there were no package limits until the 2013-14 season and now there are. But we will see if Sky have to adhere to the same limits next season.

Cutting edge!

They confirmed on the day that they signed the deal to show Saturday 3pms in Ireland that there were limits ie maximum 5 showings per team.

Something strange has happened this season,

It is true to say that the maximum last season was 5 and that Sky have confirmed that next season it will be 5.

However towards the end of this season it looks like Setanta have been given a concession.

One particular weekend there were just two 3pm games. Each game featured a team who'd already been shown 5 times so it looks like the restrictions have been relaxed; but not for the bigger teams.

Last weekend's showing put Southampton at 7 showings. Yet the game with more (actually, something) riding on it, and which was much more attractive to an Irish TV audience - not to mention the game shown all over Europe - was ignored.

It also looks like they are holding back a fifth Manchester United showing for the final day; which is risky as that match may well have something riding on it and therefore be picked for UK television.

To be fair, with regard the final day, Sky will usually show two or three games. Right now we can't predict with certainty what will happen but if the title race is not wrapped up I would expect Chelsea v Leicester and Newcastle v Spurs to be picked. (Right now I'd expect the latter to be picked anyway unless Newcastle are already relegated by that point)

Should Arsenal still be in contention I'd expect their tie v Aston Villa to be picked next, though Villa are already relegated. If not, a relegation battle may be picked over United given Sky have tended to favour the relegation battle when the title race is already wrapped up (Ford Survival Sunday, anyone?).

I can't see United being picked by Sky unless both the title race and relegation battle are over at that stage as they are chasing a Champions League spot at best. That would leave them open for Setanta to pick, on the basis that BT will again not keep a game for the last day.

icdg wrote: »
    Right now we can't predict with certainty what will happen

Precisely why it is a risky strategy by Setanta if (IF) they are holding back their fifth Manchester United game for the final day.

Of course, when UK Television are finished picking there may even be other games with more riding on them left over leaving Setanta with a dilemma.

Manchester United might well be out of the Top Four race too.

The whole point being, they took a chance showing a nothing game last weekend.

• Advertisement

The 3pm restrictions are a joke.

Setanta should be allowed show any team they want like any other European country.

Pub owners must be fuming, if Man Utd or Liverpool are on chances are the pub will make more profit.

Southampton and Everton wont draw extra customers to the pub.

They pay enough in subscription fees and the whole point in paying for Live Sport is to get customers into the premises.

Things need to change, most people including myself has paid money to watch Premier League football from a foreign provider.

mikeym wrote: »
    The 3pm restrictions are a joke.

Setanta should be allowed show any team they want like any other European country.

Setanta were allowed to do exactly that until they jumped into bed with BT Sport. That changed the dynamic and gave their package an advantage over the other rightsholder in Ireland.

Oh, and other European countries have bought a 360 game package; they don't only show Saturday 3pms.

It doesn't really matter what they should be allowed do at this stage, they will screen their final Premier League game in three weeks time and that will probably be the end of the Setanta we knew.

BT Sport and the BBC to show Fa Cup matches until 2021.

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/04/bbc-and-bt-keep-fa-cup-coverage-until.html

The BBC and BT Sport will continue to share coverage of the The FA Cup until 2021, after the broadcasters reached an agreement with the FA to extend their broadcast rights of the competition for another three years.

The Football Association has today confirmed the extension in a joint announcement which will see the most famous cup club competition in world football continue its coverage across the BBC and BT Sport.

BBC coverage
    On the BBC, Gary Lineker will continue to lead presentation duties with the corporation's traditional free-to-air coverage of each round of the competition. In addition, a personalised digital offering promises to bring audiences "closer to the action than ever before".

BT Sport coverage to include UHD from next season
    BT Sport will broadcast more FA Cup matches than ever from 2018/19, when they will show an extra live match in Rounds 1-5 of the competition, covering up to 30 matches exclusively live each year.

From next season, fans will be able to enjoy enhanced FA Cup coverage in Ultra HD and on the innovative BT Sport app, with its market-leading functionality launched this season when BT Sport became the exclusive home of the UEFA Champions League. BT Sport will also continue as the home of FA Development football, covering England U17, U19 and U21 matches exclusively live on BT Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭irishchris

I'm assuming this is on the bttv box and not through sky? All of their current uhd content is delivered via this means and that along with the bt app are UK only so no benefit unfortunately to anyone in Ireland. Good to see bbc getting rights again though

UHD is only through BT Vision in the UK, but, presuming the deal is similar to the existing one, BT's part of the rights do cover the Republic of Ireland. The BBC's do not, but Setanta screens the BBC's games here, and because the BBC is FTA, nothing is or can be blocked anyway.

There is currently no UHD service available in Ireland - Sky will launch one in August but it's unlikely to include BT Sport, initially at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ashdale5

Anybody else had Setanta/BT disappear from 2nd Sky box? I had them on both and then it went from the 2nd box a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

ashdale5 wrote: »
    Anybody else had Setanta/BT disappear from 2nd Sky box? I had them on both and then it went from the 2nd box a few days ago.

Had u it for the free month offer

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ashdale5

GY A1 wrote: »
    Had u it for the free month offer

No I've had it for over a year. I know the previous version of Setanta didn't have multiroom but since I've signed up last year I've had it in both rooms.

• Advertisement

Are you paying Setanta for multiroom now?

Advertisement