Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

icdg wrote: »
    I can't see United being picked by Sky unless both the title race and relegation battle are over at that stage as they are chasing a Champions League spot at best. That would leave them open for Setanta to pick, on the basis that BT will again not keep a game for the last day.

Unfortunately for Setanta, this is exactly the scenario that came to pass, and so Sky have picked Manchester United v Bournemouth, Swansea v Manchester City, and Stoke v West Ham, limiting what Setanta could pick to the remaining fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I don't understand why people find the pick so funny. What else could they have shown that means anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

lertsnim wrote: »
    I don't understand why people find the pick so funny. What else could they have shown that means anything?

No other Premier League club gets shown 4 weeks in a row.

What happened to these restrictions?

A load of baloney.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

So guys, what do i need now for a full coverage of next seasons Premiership?

At the minute i only have Setanta/Bt sub on my Sky box (no other Sky content).

So for Sat 3pm`s then its going to be SkySports Irl.

Do i need a different Sky card for that sub or can the existing one be updated from Sky?

And of course how much will this carry on cost me?!

You'd need to take out a Sky subscription - you can't take Sky Sports without taking at least The Original Bundle also.

At the moment they've a deal for new subscribers at €56.50 pm for 12 months (rising to €67 thereafter). That's on top of what you are paying Setanta, and doesn't include HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

€56.50 pm for 12 months (rising to €67 thereafter). That's on top of what you are paying Setanta, and doesn't include HD.

thanks icdg,

.... Ouch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,028 ✭✭✭✭muffler

loughside wrote: »
    thanks icdg,

.... Ouch!!
    You also get a €100 pre-paid mastercard with that...see here

Meanwhile, Premier Sports have secured the rights to the Copa America, for those for whom Euro 2016 isn't enough football during June.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,548 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have a question if anyone can help I'm getting a new Sky box and card tomorrow if I ring Setanta will that switch my sub over to my new card or is it linked to my old card till the end of that contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

I have a question if anyone can help I'm getting a new Sky box and card tomorrow if I ring Setanta will that switch my sub over to my new card or is it linked to my old card till the end of that contract?

They'll switch your card no probs. Done it a few times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,548 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They'll switch your card no probs. Done it a few times

Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/eir-considers-future-free-to-air-setanta-channel-401904.html

It does make sense for them to have and FTA offering. UTV Ireland might become Eir?

I don't know where UTV Ireland comes into it, but it seems to be a move well down the road. With UEFA now selling the rights, bidding for European Qualifiers is a lot trickier than before. If that's a game Eir wants to get into, fine, but they need to be aware that Qualifying Broadcaster status means Saorview (and all that entails, including the daft rate card) and being basic tier on cable (which to be fair, they have already) and Sky (the only platform on which Setanta Ireland is premium rather than basic.)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭notmyusername

I don't know where UTV Ireland comes into it, but it seems to be a move well down the road. With UEFA now selling the rights, bidding for European Qualifiers is a lot trickier than before. If that's a game Eir wants to get into, fine, but they need to be aware that Qualifying Broadcaster status means Saorview (and all that entails, including the daft rate card) and being basic tier on cable (which to be fair, they have already) and Sky (the only platform on which Setanta Ireland is premium rather than basic.)

An attempt to patronise a major player, now that is funny :)

UTV Ireland could be bought to provide free access rather than setting up a brand new service. The rate card is not the problem, if Eir add a channel to Soarview it would reduce the cost of carriage for all broadcasters.

Although I think there's a strong chance UTV Ireland could be sold, I don't think it'll be to Eir, or if it is, it won't be for a sport channel. I think that if ITV go down that route, they will want whoever they sell UTV Ireland to enter into a programme supply arrangement with them. I'm conscious we're going off the topic of Setanta here and that discussion is really for a different thread.

Although I think there's a strong chance UTV Ireland could be sold, I don't think it'll be to Eir, or if it is, it won't be for a sport channel. I think that if ITV go down that route, they will want whoever they sell UTV Ireland to enter into a programme supply arrangement with them. I'm conscious we're going off the topic of Setanta here and that discussion is really for a different thread.

True, I think outside of setting up EirFreeTV. Though I don't see why Setanta Ireland does go FTA on Saorview. They will actually be entitle to sound and vision under such a structure!

Also it does look likely that Eir plan to rebrand the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

If I was in charge of Eir I would copy the Bt showcase model and show some events Free To Air.

Setanta 1 HD not blocked for tonight's game, thankfully.

Interestingly, there is a Setanta 1 DOG on the channel, which normally only appears on ROI only content. Are customers in the UK seeing that, I wonder? Ad breaks appear to be UK adverts...

They'd have to be seeing it as it is the same feed.

• Advertisement

Seemingly they did too.

Odd that they did that, particularly as Setanta no longer own Premier Sports, but I can understand why, given that Irish viewers were the main target audience. Setanta break bumpers and promos were used too, but the adverts were UK ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

BT HD now using Sky's latest encryption which will see it black on everything bar a Sky Box.

BT HD now using Sky's latest encryption which will see it black on everything bar a Sky Box.

I'm surprised it took this long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

When will they wipe out all the sd ones too?

When all their customers are upgraded to HD boxes. I can't imagine that wont be more than a couple of years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

According to Sky, Setanta Ireland and Setanta Sports 1 are being rebranded to eir Sport 1 and eir Sport 2 next Tuesday (5th)

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Entertainment/Upcoming-changes-to-Sky-Channels/td-p/2407614

• Registered Users Posts: 5 alan 1968

Wonder will eir sport1 be available in HD on the sky platform

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Delta2113

"Setanta Sports Pack is temporarily not available. We are working to make sure we will be able to bring you exciting sports content (including the Premier League) and we’ll have details on that later this month."

Information correct as of 1st July 2016 - Virgin Media Ireland

It's a pity to see the Setanta Name disappear. We have a lot to be grateful to the founding owners. I can understand why eir has done a re-name.

3e should probably at least change to Virgin Tv but then it might cost too much.

This could up the ante between eir and Virgin Media regarding it's dealings.

That's an odd one though. A rebrand shouldn't affect availablity of the channels. Have the channels actually been removed from Virgin or are they just not taking new subscriptions?

Setanta and Virgin's predecessors always seemed to be on good terms - NTL gave them their first carriage deal when they moved into channel operation, worked with them on Setanta Sports News, had Setanta Ireland as part of its basic service and at one stage were the only place it was available in HD. Then again they weren't trying to compete with them at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Setanta Pack channels still available to current subscribers on Virgin -just not taking new subscribers at present.

Maybe can't agree on new pricing? -me being purely speculative.

Advertisement