Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Delta2113 wrote: »
    "Setanta Sports Pack is temporarily not available. We are working to make sure we will be able to bring you exciting sports content (including the Premier League) and we’ll have details on that later this month."

Information correct as of 1st July 2016 - Virgin Media Ireland

It's a pity to see the Setanta Name disappear. We have a lot to be grateful to the founding owners. I can understand why eir has done a re-name.

3e should probably at least change to Virgin Tv but then it might cost too much.

This could up the ante between eir and Virgin Media regarding it's dealings.

Wonder what the situation with the Eir platform itself will be - unchanged with Eir Sports 1 in the basic package, or will Eir Sports 2 be thrown in, with the BT channels as the premium add-on?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I wonder if the Virgin Media situation has to do with the original three year deal being up at the end of the month. You'd think they'd have gotten on renewal negotiations once the BT deal was renewed but maybe the Eir acquisition delayed things on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Very strange re-brand. Usual there is at least a press release.

I can't see 3e re-brand as I assume Virgin Media will sell in the next 3 years.

Setanta brand is a good one, I don't really see why they want to change it.

Presumably there'll be an announcement Monday.

It's odd that Sky seemingly broke something Setanta had been keeping quiet on. While I don't think it's a secret that a rebrand was on the cards, any noises out of both Setanta and Eir had previously been vague on specifics, or been along the lines of being something they'd eventually get around to but weren't in a hurry. At any rate I'd have thought they'd time it for the start of the new Premier League season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Elmo wrote: »
    Very strange re-brand. Usual there is at least a press release.

I can't see 3e re-brand as I assume Virgin Media will sell in the next 3 years.

Strange? -low key maybe but I'm sure we could get a press release next week.

Sell in next 3 years? Sell 3e or sell Virgin Media Ireland? What makes you think that?

I agree Setanta was a good brand but Eir want's to promote Eir. It would make sense to offer Eir Sports 1 and 2 as basic with Eir.

• Advertisement

To be fair they've held onto the Meteor brand for dear life even when everything else became Eir.

Incidentally there appears to be no immediate plans for Setanta Sports 1 to stop being a relay of Premier Sports.

icdg wrote: »
    To be fair they've held onto the Meteor brand for dear life even when everything else became Eir.

:) always smile at this

According to Sky, Setanta Ireland and Setanta Sports 1 are being rebranded to eir Sport 1 and eir Sport 2 next Tuesday (5th)

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Entertainment/Upcoming-changes-to-Sky-Channels/td-p/2407614

Interestingly, this information's now been removed, and Sky are now saying they'll no longer tell people about changes in advance. Someone at Sky obviously in trouble for breaking an embargo here...

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭yknaa

I wonder with the rebranding will we get a new pricing structure? I am on the annual pass (Sky platform) for €200 p/a and thinking of renewing. I think it is now up to €225 p/a. Decisions, decisions ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Elmo wrote: »

I reckon Eir sports will barely last 3 years .

Eir have no money and will run the channel into the ground .

• Advertisement

It has already been run into the ground. There's very little ground left for it to be run into. They've got exclusive Republic of Ireland friendlies, some League of Ireland games, schools rugby, and er....not much else. Literally all their other rights - Formula One, the Open, Wimbledon, Rolland Garros etc - are available on FTA or subscription TV elsewhere. The GAA League rights are up and may yet be renewed, but I dunno if they will get anything more there than what they have at present.

Their business plan now is acting as Irish agent for BT Sport and Premier Sports. That's where their making their money, selling other people's channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Setanta D.O.G. not showing on Setanta Ireland - I hope they don't make a pigs ear of the new D.O.G.'s.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 reddevils10

Who will have the Irish rights for premier league highlights next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Not announced yet. Am I crazy to think maybe Virgin are in the running for the highlights? Wording on their website about the premier league content?

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Setanta D.O.G. not showing on Setanta Ireland - I hope they don't make a pigs ear of the new D.O.G.'s.

Premier Sports (Setanta Sports 1) also DOGless at the moment.

That hasn't been announced. Last time Setanta did a deal with only a few days to spare.

Premier Sports (Setanta Sports 1) also DOGless at the moment.

That hasn't been announced. Last time Setanta did a deal with only a few days to spare.

Do you think that Virgin are going to launch a sports service as per the wording of their response on the talk to thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I dont know why the renaming of Setanta is such a big deal.

Eir dont exactly have exclusive top sporting content at the moment and its brand name already has a bad reputation.

But who knows they might have big news for us.

It begs the question why Virgin didn't make a bid for Setanta...

Joo0 wrote: »
    Do you think that Virgin are going to launch a sports service as per the wording of their response on the talk to thread?

Its an interesting wording, isn't it! But no, I don't think they are going to. I think they're just renegotiating the terms of their carriage deal with Setanta/Eir.

Its an interesting wording, isn't it! But no, I don't think they are going to. I think they're just renegotiating the terms of their carriage deal with Setanta/Eir.

I guess we'll see a nice price rise on Virgin as well as Sky for the new package. :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

Rumour has it Sky now have rights for UFC from August onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

would be a good coup for TV3,

Incidently, I've just watched an ad break on Premier Sports, and there was not a channel logo to be seen. Idents were just branded with the logo of the sport concerned, and there was not a trailer to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Rumour has it Sky now have rights for UFC from August onwards.

If they go down the road of PPV, then it will be the death of UFC in this part of the world.............

ziggyman17 wrote:
    If they go down the road of PPV, then it will be the death of UFC in this part of the world.............

Don't think so. Sky will attract lots of new fans by hyping it on all there adverts and 24 hour news channel. Might get more content too, BT are terrible in fairness to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Incidently, I've just watched an ad break on Premier Sports, and there was not a channel logo to be seen. Idents were just branded with the logo of the sport concerned, and there was not a trailer to be seen.

On the other hand, Setanta Ireland still introducing ads with their channel logo, though the DOG has been removed. Surprising the Eir EPG hasn't shown any switchover, though perhaps the logos just convert automatically tomorrow?

has virgin media update their epg?

https://twitter.com/setantasports/status/750076103574913024

They took their time, but Setanta finally acknowledge something is happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Don't think so. Sky will attract lots of new fans by hyping it on all there adverts and 24 hour news channel. Might get more content too, BT are terrible in fairness to them.

BT are terrible? Do you recall the last time Sky showed UFC programming? BT have done an amazing job with the UFC.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote:
    BT are terrible? Do you recall the last time Sky showed UFC programming? BT have done an amazing job with the UFC.

Yes terrible, Glad I have been able to watch it over the years but I'm sure Sky will do much better coverage and promotion

Advertisement