Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,070 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Seems odd that if you are a customer of a rival TV service(Sky), you get HD channels free (even if one of them is missing) and yet if you are a customer of their own TV service you have to pay extra for HD. It's almost better value not to be a customer of their TV service.
    I'd be wary of pointing this out to them however as it may result in the pulling of the HD channels on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

flazio wrote: »
    So in our house we have a Sky box in the front room and an Eirvision box in the back as we are Eir broadband customers and got a deal. Went onto the Eir website registered the Sky viewing card number and all is well there, all the BT and Eir channels are working (in HD no less)
    However in the back room not so much. The Eir Sport 1 and 2 channels SD are fine (Es1 is at both 106 and 400 on the box) however neither of the Eir HD channels are working, none of the 4 main BT channels are working, and there are 6 BT extra channels at the back which are working but there's nothing on them except extra 6 which is showing BT Sport Europe.

Editc A reset of the box got the BT SD channels working but not the HD of any of them.

Had similar bother yesterday, but as you say, resetting the box updated the full complement of channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

That DOG aint the best on Eir yikes.

Yep, DOG could be more refined.

Also, see they are not showing any DOG on eir Sports 2 / Premier Sports.
    This really missed an opportunity to clear up this mess.

Simple in my Option - Just re-brand Premier Sports as eir Sports 1 (UK and Ireland) and drop the Premier Sports Brand all together.
    Then re-brand what was Setanta Ireland as eir Sport 2 (for Ireland Only).
    I know most of the "good" content would be on eS2, but that wouldn't really matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Also, see they are not showing any DOG on eir Sports 2 / Premier Sports.
    This really missed an opportunity to clear up this mess.

On Cable on they have a DOG for Sports 2 but not on satellite.

All very messy

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Although the Eir brand isn't tainted in the UK the way the Setanta brand was, they are two separate companies now (albeit both being still run by Michael O'Rourke). That's likely to have an effect on who gets revenue from each of the channels. But more importantly, Premier Sports isn't owned by Eir.

I think the compromise of an unbranded channel is probably the best for both parties, even though it's really odd looking on air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Stupid question sorry but what does DOG stand for? I presume it's the logo in the corner but would like to know what the letters stand for.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Stupid question sorry but what does DOG stand for? I presume it's the logo in the corner but would like to know what the letters stand for.

I think it's Digitally Originated Graphic, can anyone confirm that or am I off slightly?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Annie_Oakes

martyos121 wrote: »

I think it's Digitally Originated Graphic, can anyone confirm that or am I off slightly?
    I had to google it as I was curious 'Digital_on-screen_graphic': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_on-screen_graphic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭robwen

From the EIR page on boards re: Free eir sport channels for current Setanta pack customer, reply is from EIR Rep.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057618054

Originally posted by martyos121
    Well, was just wondering what the story is with getting the eir sport and BT channels for free? I'm already subscribed to the Setanta pack and I'm an eir broadband customer, so I'd like to know how to go about switching from my paying subscription to the free one you've advertised, would I need to cancel my current sub or could you switch it over?

Hi martyos121

Thanks for getting in touch. :)
    You can read more on this here https://www.eir.ie/sport/eir-customers/ you should not be charged for this service going forward and it will switch over automatically.

-Pamela

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

robwen wrote: »
    From the EIR page on boards re: Free eir sport channels for current Setanta pack customer, reply is from EIR Rep.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057618054

Originally posted by martyos121
    Well, was just wondering what the story is with getting the eir sport and BT channels for free? I'm already subscribed to the Setanta pack and I'm an eir broadband customer, so I'd like to know how to go about switching from my paying subscription to the free one you've advertised, would I need to cancel my current sub or could you switch it over?

Hi martyos121

Thanks for getting in touch. :)
    You can read more on this here https://www.eir.ie/sport/eir-customers/ you should not be charged for this service going forward and it will switch over automatically.

-Pamela

What I forgot to mention when posting that question was that my TV service is with Sky and not Eir themselves, so I don't think the info provided by them is 100% correct (not their fault though).

From what I understand, anyone with a sub to the Setanta pack through Sky who wants to avail of these channels for free will need to cancel the current sub to the Setanta pack (through Eir customer service I presume) and then link your viewing card to your Eir account online. This has to be it because there is no way they could know I'm already subscribed to these channels so they can't switch it automatically.

Hope that doesn't confuse anyone. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

dogs/bugs on sports channels?

surely only during analysis of games should a dog appear, with the dog/bug/logo seen as part of the on screen score board.

Believe or not none of the UK/Irish sports channels do that, separate DOGs (and while Eir Sport's is big, it's not the biggest - that falls to BT Sport ESPN HD Live - I kid you not).

Ive perhaps belatedly renamed the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

martyos121 wrote: »
    What I forgot to mention when posting that question was that my TV service is with Sky and not Eir themselves, so I don't think the info provided by them is 100% correct (not their fault though).

From what I understand, anyone with a sub to the Setanta pack through Sky who wants to avail of these channels for free will need to cancel the current sub to the Setanta pack (through Eir customer service I presume) and then link your viewing card to your Eir account online. This has to be it because there is no way they could know I'm already subscribed to these channels so they can't switch it automatically.

Hope that doesn't confuse anyone. :o

I wish it was that easy I'm in the same boat and rang customer service today and I was told by Isabelle that I needed to contact .... Sky! She was adamant I thanked her

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

Anyone got a link to get free Setanta? I'm an Eir broadband customer and I have Sky box

All sorted I rang Setanta in Scotland

If you are on the annual sub it's difficult to do online. Anyway a helpful chap talked me through it but be warned if you cancel the annual sub there is no reimbursement on what you have left so best bet is to see out your annual sub and then sign up for free

• Registered Users Posts: 46,028 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Anyone got a link to get free Setanta? I'm an Eir broadband customer and I have Sky box
    Did you just sign up today as yesterday it was your mother who had the Eir BB

muffler wrote:
    Did you just sign up today as yesterday it was

Does it matter to you.. Doing it for my mother if you must know..

It doesn't work anyway :( house phone and address don't match

Interesting to see them move out of Northern Ireland. Did NI customers loss Setanta long ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

muffler wrote: »
    Did you just sign up today as yesterday it was your mother who had the Eir BB

You caught him there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    Interesting to see them move out of Northern Ireland. Did NI customers loss Setanta long ago?

NI customers were switched from Setanta to Premier Sports in April. I understand that they still receive Eir Sport 1 for now as a sort of bonus channel. Most football blocked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Interesting, if odd, news from Digital Spy - PSG vs West Brom pre-season friendly shown next Wednesday on Eir Sports 2 (Premier Sports), along with three West Ham friendlies.

Interesting, if odd, news from Digital Spy - PSG vs West Brom pre-season friendly shown next Wednesday on Eir Sports 2 (Premier Sports), along with three West Ham friendlies.

Why are they keeping the name Premier Sport, surely now that its part of eir it would rebrand. They only reason its Premier Sport is only down to the bad reputation of Setanta in GB, while the only reason for eir is because of the bad reputation of €ircon.

It's not part of Eir (though they may be playing it out). It's still owned by Michael O'Rouke.

kooga wrote: »
    All sorted I rang Setanta in Scotland

If you are on the annual sub it's difficult to do online. Anyway a helpful chap talked me through it but be warned if you cancel the annual sub there is no reimbursement on what you have left so best bet is to see out your annual sub and then sign up for free

just to update

I transferred my annual sub €129 a year over to the free eirsport offer.

I then found the link to FAQ on satellite
    http://www.eirsport.ie/eir-broadband-satellite-tv-faqs

I am entitled to a partial refund for the unused portion of my sub I contacted setanta and this is in train and it can take up to 14 days. no rush here.

so best bet is to contact setanta on the 0818 203040 number.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,028 ✭✭✭✭muffler

For the last few years I have an ongoing 2 monthly sub with Setanta whereby I cancel by email, they email me back with an offer which I dont take, a week or so before Im due to get cut off the call me and give me a better offer for the next 2 months. So a couple of days ago I emailed to cancel and also asked what, if any bearing the change would have on me and would any of my account or my credit card details be passed to Eir and this is the reply I got this morning.........

Dear muffler,

Account reference: XX|X|X|X

Thank you for contacting eir Sport.

Please be advised that your subscription will remain the same. The only change will be the name change from Setanta to Eir.

We are sorry to hear that you no longer wish to subscribe to eir Sport.

Your eir Sports Pack brings you a wide range of top LIVE & EXCLUSIVE sporting content including:

42 Premier League games
    40+ Live FA Cup games
    Every UEFA Champions League & Europa League games
    30 Scottish Premier League games
    35 European Rugby Champions Cup matches
    69 Aviva Premiership Rugby matches
    17 Allianz Leagues Football & Hurling games
    The Home of All UFC Live events
    All Republic of Ireland Home International Friendlies
    Plus Airtricity League, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, NRL, Rugby League,
    The British Open, Formula 1, NASCAR, Tennis, Boxing & American Sport

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

I`m assuming those 42 Prem League games are just BT Sports coverage?

I`m on a dish and i suspect if i want to watch the saturday 3pm fixture as well i`ll still have to get a different sub from Sky? Or have EirSport done some deal for that 3pm spot?

It`s all getting a bit confusing...

loughside wrote: »
    I`m assuming those 42 Prem League games are just BT Sports coverage?

I`m on a dish and i suspect if i want to watch the saturday 3pm fixture as well i`ll still have to get a different sub from Sky? Or have EirSport done some deal for that 3pm spot?

It`s all getting a bit confusing...

the 3pm games are on on sky sports in the ROI

the 42 EPL games are bt sport , there is no epl on setanta/eirsport 1 and 2 channels

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

I must say that was easy. Just logged into my Eir account and added my viewing card number and with in literally 6 seconds all the Eir/BT channels were clearing in HD. Does anyone know if Eir will launch Eir Sport 1 in HD on Sky?

• Advertisement

medoc wrote: »
    I must say that was easy. Just logged into my Eir account and added my viewing card number and with in literally 6 seconds all the Eir/BT channels were clearing in HD. Does anyone know if Eir will launch Eir Sport 1 in HD on Sky?

no plans, but if you have eirsport on evision you can upgrade to hd for €5pm

Advertisement