Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qualifying for a Subject

• 25-02-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm currently in the second year of my degree and I'm looking at doing a PGDE in 2014 (For the 2 year course :( )
    I've been hearing some talk that the TC are looking to have a requirement that to teach a subject you would have to have studied it in secondary school...

The thing is that I'm studying economics and it wasnt available in my school but I did study business and accounting, does anyone know if this would be a problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Probably not really a help to you here but I'm just wondering if you could get around this by registering with a school or somewhere else to sit the leaving cert economics paper? Anyone know if this would be a goer as I'd like to teach physics and applied maths at some point in the future but I didn't do either for leaving cert. (I'm not suitably qualified yet anyway but I intend to be at some point)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I'm not 100% on this now, but I did comment on this proposal when I filled in the TC survey on proposed changes for entry to teaching, and I think this idea of having to have studied a subject at LC level to be qualified was for those undertaking concurrent teaching degrees.

Personally I am against the proposal. I think it will disproportionately affect the already disadvantaged and anyway, either the degree is up to degree standard or not. LC should be irrelevant at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Not sure if I could afford the time spent study for a LC paper while doing my degree? would have to fit a two year course into my final year of my degree!
    Plus last year we were told secondary level economics is "wrong" and we were better not to have studied it as it would confuse us learning it properly.

I'm not 100% on this now, but I did comment on this proposal when I filled in the TC survey on proposed changes for entry to teaching, and I think this idea of having to have studied a subject at LC level to be qualified was for those undertaking concurrent teaching degrees.

Personally I am against the proposal. I think it will disproportionately affect the already disadvantaged and anyway, either the degree is up to degree standard or not. LC should be irrelevant at that point.

Thanks for the info!!
    So it would not affect those studying as a post grad? would that not make the jobs market an uneven playing field after becoming qualified?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

No. It would just mean you couldn't enter a concurrent teaching degree if you hadn't already studied the subject at LC so everyone leaving such degrees and entering the jobs market would be qualified.

• Advertisement

Perfect! so as it is I'm safe?

Thanks for that!
    Thats a relief :)

Advertisement