Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMac Configuration

Options
  • 25-02-2013 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm thinking of buying an iMac 21.5-inch: 2.9GHz as I hear it's a miracle when it comes to pro-tools, which is the main program I will be running. I'm buying off the internet, so I can configure my iMac. What do you recommend??.....Simple terms,I'm not the most technically enlightened :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

For Protools or any serious A/V applications I'd give serious consideration to the 27" screen. Don't worry about too much about the RAM as you can update that way cheaper than Apple can supply.

I recently bough a 27" 2.8GHz i5 iMac with 8GB RAM and a 1TB hard disk for 940 euro second hand with Apple Care included ! Have a look at Adverts.ie, you'd be amazed what's on offer.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dollypin

I'm a student and well money isn't exactly growing on trees. I was thinking of getting a refurbished 21" for just over 800, cant really afford much more :( Why would the 27" screen be better. Would I be able to upgrade the 21" to the working power of the 27" in time?
    Ps: Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

For me it was a balance of display size and performance. I chose the 27" with an i5 CPU which has proven adequate for my uses which include Photo editing with Photoshop and Aperture and video editing with Final Cut Pro. Both of these benefit from plenty of screen real-estate and lots of RAM. With Pro-Tools open and a few plugins or effects panels you may be grateful for the extra screen size.

It's always good to get the best you can afford, as I said memory in the previous generation iMac is user upgradeable and much cheaper than buying from Apple. Not too sure if the new iMacs are upgradable though. I also know that the machine I've chosen has a plug in CPU which I intend to upgrade to a full i7 in due coarse.

If you're a student you could also qualify for the Education Discount, check with your college to see if they have any special agreements in place. I know that UCD have a very good discount scheme in place with Apple for example.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NetNinja

Remember that the new late 2012 21" iMacs are not memory upgradeable, well not easily anyway. The 27" are easy to upgrade the memory as there's a small cover on the back that pops off to allow access to the memory slots.

With the new 21" it involves opening the machine up so if you go for one get as much ram as you need / can afford. However you will be paying Apple's idea of ram prices. Going with a 27" you can upgrade the Ram from a third party which is cheaper as has already been said.

So, what I'm hearing is get the 27". Suggestions on buying new or used? Money is a big issue. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

dollypin wrote: »
    So, what I'm hearing is get the 27".

A 16GB 21.5" iMac costs €1,799 (€1,599 plus €200 for the 8GB -> 16GB factory upgrade)

The basic 27" iMac (8GB RAM) costs €1,949 so if memory upgradability is the only concern, just buy a 21.5" shipped with 16GB RAM.
    dollypin wrote: »
    Money is a big issue. thanks

And you're looking at an iMac :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Go for a new one, or if you can get a 2012 refurbished model. Otherwise you get the Sandybridge processor.

If you go for new and order from online get the Fusion Drive. It's crazy fast.

coylemj wrote: »

And you're looking at an iMac :eek:

Any better suggestions for running protools?

Advertisement