Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talking to your pets when you play with them

• 25-02-2013 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

I always talk to my cats when I play with them. Well 'do the voices' which are a kind of baby talk mixed with evil genius/Bond villain for some strange reason. Anyway they seem to love it and they go mental jumping around pouncing on toys. I had to interrupt a session with the Da Bird toy yesterday and as they were having a great time I asked my husband to take over.

After about 10 minutes of silence Mr Pumpkinseeds came downstairs to say that they weren't doing anything, apparently Felix was on the bed swatting at it half heartedly and Jasper had gone to bed in another room. I asked him if he did 'the voices' and he looked at me as though I were nuts.

So are there any other nut cases out there who talk to their pets when they play with them and if so do you think your pets enjoy it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

Ah I do this all the time!!

Although not necessarily while playing with them, I tend to have "conversations" with them! :o

If the cat is meowing I will ask it what's wrong, how can I help it, or ask it if it's just looking for attention. Also, I may ask it how it's day has been and then ask 'oh, and then what happened?'... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

blueturnip wrote: »

If the cat is meowing I will ask it what's wrong, how can I help it, or ask it if it's just looking for attention. Also, I may ask it how it's day has been and then ask 'oh, and then what happened?'... :D

I used to do this as well and they'd answer back, well in cat talk :D

I think in their little heads we're actually conversing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Yeah I tend to ask them whats wrong when they're meeping at me, not as much as I used to though as it usually ends up with one of them stretching up as high as possible at the fridge door to show me where the cooked chicken lives or herding me to the cupboard where their wet food is stored:)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

Yeah I tend to ask them whats wrong when they're meeping at me, not as much as I used to though as it usually ends up with one of them stretching up as high as possible at the fridge door to show me where the cooked chicken lives or herding me to the cupboard where their wet food is stored:)

Ah yes, this is usually the case! Looking pointedly at where the food is and then to the empty bowl!

*Sometimes* though, one of them I reckon is just having a conversation with me... Or at least I like to think so!

Yeah sometimes it's like they're telling you all their news. Felix is chatty Jazzy not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

my wife has often asked who was in the garage with me when i say tom very original name for a neutered cat who arrived 3 years ago as a kitten in the engine of my car the usual answer is will you keep it down what if the neighbours hear you

and you know what i dont care if the neighbours hear me were the best of buddies me and tom

I love our cats to bits, as for the neighbours,I couldn't care less what they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

everyday, when i get home I ask my dogs how their day went and what they got up to. They're both pretty chatty. I also do the silly voices when playing with them. they love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

Hubby and I talk to our two fur kids (JR x) all the time. For some reason, that even I don't understand, I talk to the girl in a Cork accent and the baby boy in a Yorkshire accent! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

We talk to our 2 dogs, 1 cat all the time, we give them all their own voices (dogs have posh English accents no idea why, cat has a sort of generic South East Asian accent due to her love of giving a Thai massage to the older dog), we have numerous conversations with them and even 'as them', we've managed not to do it in front of any visitors we might have so far, but it's only a matter of time before our madness is revealed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We do, Miller had a lord of the manor type voice. The dogs voices aren't quite as flattering. Harley is given a slightly mopey innocent voice, a bit like Eyeore but not as depressed. Phoe's voice is like Snotser Galligan. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Before I have a chat with the cats about how our days went I have to sing each of them their special songs - they each have their own tune, with a lyric mostly made up of their names, interspered with 'beautiful' and 'gorgeous' and 'tuna'.

There's also a special tone for talking to them when playing with toys (a hybrid of racing commentary and David Attenborough nature programs). And when I'm brushing them I do a hairdressers voice ("anywhere nice for your holidays? want a magazine?").

While I know that they don't really understand what I'm saying, they do recognise the different tones and enjoy the attention. I enjoy being silly and having fun with them too, so it's a win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

I think if my dog ever replies shell do so in a low, mumbled cork accent....

and her first words will be..."whats the story girl?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I ask my dog how his day went while we're at work. Both me and the OH have full conversations with him. I often answer for him when the OH is talking to him. I'm pretty sure the neighbours think we're strange!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've always talked to the dogs in my life. Not in a babyish way either which is probably madder. :o:D Well babyish when they were pups but as they matured so did the talk. Given there's a collie in Austria IIRC that can understand something like 200 words, I figure even the most crosseyed dribbly of dogs can get the gist of some of what you're saying. They've all picked up on my emotional state to varying degrees. One in particular was very tuned into my mood and would act very differently if I was happy compared to when I might have been down about something. In the latter case if I was mopey he'd get very protective of me when we were out walking.

A mate had a cat and he was equally tuned into her moods. Eerily so. She went through a major bad patch in her life and the cat, normally a major go walkabout for days dude, stuck to her like glue. He'd even follow her on walks FFS. She'd unload all her woes on the moggy and he'd sit their like a silent therapist. Mewing the odd time. Damn cool cat he was. Lived to a great old age too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I'm always surprised when people describe cats as cold,selfish and solitary animals. I've always found the opposite to be true. Our chaps are very intune to us. They're always delighted to see us and they are very affectionate, though they do like to do their own thing, they know when somethings wrong and they'll follow us about like dogs.

We have to bribe Felix with a piece of cooked chicken when we leave the house, otherwise he'd come with us. My husband had been off work with a nastychest infection that he's just gotten over. He had a really awful cough and Felix has been getting on to his lap kneading away purring and reversing up his chest at least a dozen times a day, his pupils are massive when he does this. He's never been like that before. He loves to sit on my husbands lap but this is ridiculous:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Our puppy has been trained in Spanish, but I chat to her in English and Spanish depending on how tired I am....bilingual ....able to misbehave in either language.

after reading all posts here mine included im convinced were all nuts we need a holiday or maybe even to get out more ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

If I make a ktccccchhhhh noise at Cream he goes loopy, and when Peach is hyper she gets this certain look in her eyes and if I say BOO she runs up the wall :D

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

I chat away to my three dogs all the time but the cutest one is the JRT - he grumbles and mumbles back to me like a funny little old man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. I was out hanging clothes on the line and having a full blown conversation with my dog, (sometimes he's italian :) ) It stuck me that if my neighbours happened to be out in their they might find it strange :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I love our cats to bits, as for the neighbours,I couldn't care less what they think.

I'm lucky one neighbour does the same with her dog, the others talk to the dogs like they are people :D me: "morning jimmy" jimmy: "morning *mymo*, how are you today Oliver and miss tiffi" :D dogs wagg in appreciation. (He always refers to Tiffi as miss Tiffi cos she's a lady!)

We talk to animals all the time, Oliver has a very deep voice and is very cheeky, Tiffi is very posh and higher pitched, cats vary depending on mood, mainly their convo's are more a list of demands, or the occasional chat about heir day.

God only knows what the neighbours think if they here some of the stuff I come out with in play sessions. 'whose mummies little monster? is just the tip of the iceberg:D I've always talked to animals as though I'm talking to a child, don't know why, but they're happy with it. The neighbours on both sides of us don't like animals and I've never liked or trusted anyone who doesn't like animals, so their opinion doesn't count:p

jimf wrote: »
    after reading all posts here mine included im convinced were all nuts we need a holiday or maybe even to get out more ha ha
    Thing is though if we were to go away on holiday we'd worry sick about them:)

Thing is though if we were to go away on holiday we'd worry sick about them:)

i was wondering how long it would take for somebody to post back with that answer

so no holidays then unless ryanair do special rates for cats/dogs ???????
    probably free flights 50eu surcharge for havin 4 legs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Aer Arann took pets, and were lovely about it, they even let you go to the pet in the flight once the seatbelt light went off. (At least they did on Waterford London route)
    Sadly they're gone now :(

jimf wrote: »
    i was wondering how long it would take for somebody to post back with that answer

so no holidays then unless ryanair do special rates for cats/dogs ???????
    probably free flights 50eu surcharge for havin 4 legs

On the rare occassions that we do get away, we come back to the sad eyed 'how could you leave us?' and being ignored for a couple of hours. Thats despite the fact that my brother, whom they love, stays in the house and pet sits them. I still get paranoid when I'm away in case somethings happened and my brother hasn't told me.

mymo wrote: »
    Aer Arann took pets, and were lovely about it, they even let you go to the pet in the flight once the seatbelt light went off. (At least they did on Waterford London route)
    Sadly they're gone now :(

Its amazing the difference in pet air travel between Ireland and America. Here pets seem to have to go in the cargo hold,whereas in the US provided that they are in an appropriate carrier, they can be under the passenger seat.

On the rare occassions that we do get away, we come back to the sad eyed 'how could you leave us?' and being ignored for a couple of hours. Thats despite the fact that my brother, whom they love, stays in the house and pet sits them. I still get paranoid when I'm away in case somethings happened and my brother hasn't told me.

its the other way around with me if we go away tom goes into care the 5 dogs stay at home my brother looks after them when we get back and i pick him up he has to be on my lap in the car on the way back home and will not leave me out of his sight for the rest of that day and refuses to sit in the car for weeks in case im bringing him back jaysus he has this special way of making me feel guilty he should be somebody wifes lol only jokin before the the mods get callin in as for the springers they think their on holidays as well my brother spoils em rotten his daughter adores them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

At least talking to cats and dogs is seen as vaguely normal. Most people think I'm completely bonkers for the conversations I have with Isabella (Syrian hamster). When I come in and she's awake, or I hear her moving around I immediately start yapping away "oh you're up are you? Wanna come out?" To which she'll usually come over to the door with her pleading eyes...

I've noticed recently too she seems to want to hang out near me a lot. I was quite upset about something the other night and she was over to the side of her cage nearest me, watching me like a hawk. And if she gets into her ball she follows me around the house, and she'll come when she's called! Mad little thing.

Advertisement