Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talking to your pets when you play with them

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

At least talking to cats and dogs is seen as vaguely normal. Most people think I'm completely bonkers for the conversations I have with Isabella (Syrian hamster). When I come in and she's awake, or I hear her moving around I immediately start yapping away "oh you're up are you? Wanna come out?" To which she'll usually come over to the door with her pleading eyes....

If people think you're bonkers for that then I need to be locked up.

I will happily talk to my Axolotls, who live in water.. and have no ears.

At least now we have a puppy so I can just pretend I was talking to her if people hear me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Do this a lot and he has a way of answering which you just grow to understand. Unfortunately, he's nearly totally deaf now so can't do it so much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

Myself and the OH do this constantly to our two kitties.

We love them to bits but i let a shout out when i seen our older kitty (which has a bit of a weight prob) at the leftovers of our dinner one night.
    I told him 'that's bold' and he literally ran off 'whimpering'....

When my other half picks up the younger kitty to 'talk' to him about something hes done 'wrong' he will literally turn his head and give him the silent treatment!
    Hes even put his paw on his mouth and turned away... So funny.

I know many of us talk to them like kids but the similarity between them their behavior is amazing!

(Btw we aren't always telling them off!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Hee hee, apparently they turn away if they don't feel comfortable with a situation, makes sense. We have a scraps bowl which we use for leftovers for the birds, just veggies etc go into it. A couple of times I've found Jasper licking butter from mashed potato. He will also check the sink on the off chance that there might be some mayo on a plate or piece of cutlery. He always looks so guilty when caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

Oh god the sink! Its like a fecking pick and mix sometimes for our older kitten!
    Starting to see how he got a little overweight in the first place! He seems to hate us now for cutting back on his food, poor thing.

We were preparing chicken for dinner one night, had a few of the breasts laid out in the tray.
    Our younger kitten Satch (who is absolutely mental for raw chicken) somehow got in without us seeing him, and when we caught him he had a full chicken breast hanging from his tiny mouth (he was only about 3 months at the time)...

He just Looked like he was thinking 'Uh Oh!'

I don't understand how anyone Wouldn't talk to animals! Theirs or not!

Im sitting in work laughing my head off thinking about what we've said to them.
    In fact I honestly don't remember ever laughing as much as i have since getting the two of them! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I was opening up the kennel one morning, before our public opening times. I was singing my normal "good morning" song to the visitors. One line was "Ooooh scooby, you've done a pooooo, I'll have to clean up after youuuuuuuu". Spun around to get a poo bag, and scoobys owner was standing there laughing at me :o

I give ours a half a raw chicken breast each when I'm cooking it. I don't really have a choice, as they flank either side of me waiting. Jazzy will do a little dance waiting impatiently for his while felix will 'rest' his claws in my knee to remind me that he's waiting:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'll throw a line of conversation at the dog to keep her busy from time to time when I'm doing somEthing. But my parents have now noticed that when I'm over at my parents & we're talking ( my parents & I!) that the dog will join in with a line of barking every now & then!! V funny to see!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

I ask my dog how his day went while we're at work. Both me and the OH have full conversations with him. I often answer for him when the OH is talking to him. I'm pretty sure the neighbours think we're strange!

ha I would do that aswell, or if one of my dogs looks strangely at us I will interpret what he is thinking and would like to say

also if my partner is out and one of them misbehaves I would say 'wait till your dad gets home, you'll be in trouble then'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I give ours a half a raw chicken breast each when I'm cooking it. I don't really have a choice, as they flank either side of me waiting. Jazzy will do a little dance waiting impatiently for his while felix will 'rest' his claws in my knee to remind me that he's waiting:)

Oh the claws in the knee... My legs actually have permanent scars from peach doing that! No matter what I have, she has to stand up to get a look in case it's something she might like. Usually I offer it to her and she will sniff it and walk away disgusted, the funniest was when I had a lemon, she hissed at it and ran! But if I have something really smelly and delicious that they can smell from a distance like tuna I will have a cat clawing each knee:( I don't mind cream doing it so much as he just stands against me ( I always say he's like a little toddler putting up their hands to be picked up!) but peach just goes to town, I think she likes to hear me scream.. Occasionally she just uses me as a scratching post even if I have nothing for her!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

If I ask my dog something in a serious tone, he will move his head sideways and then bark back at me in answer , he also likes to 'sing' along to this song :pac:

Come day, go day
    Wish in my heart it were Sunday
    Drinking buttermilk thru the week
    Whiskey on a Sunday :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

This is the best thread ever - Im normal!!!

Ive always talked to my pets, and other peoples pets. I havent got a pet right now but I posted here recently about the neighbours cat coming to visit and I converse with her all the time. Mostly in a special voice, lot of "you ARE a good girl", and for "I kniaow" in response to MIAOW.

I used to have a springer spaniel who would sing along with me in the car if I played music, so there we would be, her on the back seat, trying to push her nose through the head rest, howling at the top of her lungs, me laughing and singing along. She was also a great one for "where is it!!!" and thus a scampery game of looking all over the place would begin. She knew loads of words, you had to refer to a walk as a W, a sausage as an S and the vet as The Man - but she got to know the abbreviations over time so we went back to the real words!

Its nice talking to your animal pals.

Oh the claws in the knee... My legs actually have permanent scars from peach doing that! No matter what I have, she has to stand up to get a look in case it's something she might like. Usually I offer it to her and she will sniff it and walk away disgusted, the funniest was when I had a lemon, she hissed at it and ran! But if I have something really smelly and delicious that they can smell from a distance like tuna I will have a cat clawing each knee:( I don't mind cream doing it so much as he just stands against me ( I always say he's like a little toddler putting up their hands to be picked up!) but peach just goes to town, I think she likes to hear me scream.. Occasionally she just uses me as a scratching post even if I have nothing for her!

If Jazzy doesn't like the flavour of food he will try to bury it, kick out a back leg and shake it as if covering poop, his way of saying 'you expect me to eat this filth?':D

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

i talk to my pets non stop :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I see a little pussy cata at the door
    scalamousch, scalamousch
    will you do the fandango!

(I heard myself quietly singing this to meself as I approached me Ma's front door to be greeted by Ruby.)

:pac:

Advertisement