Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need help on TDI modification!

Options
  • 25-02-2013 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, Im thinking about buying a 1.9tdi volkswagen Bora 115hp with a 6 speed gear box for insurance reasons and i was wondering would the clutch and engine block be able to handle an increase of around 30-40bhp by moding.

Would really appreciate an experienced drivers advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Hi, Im thinking about buying a 1.9tdi volkswagen Bora 115hp with a 6 speed gear box for insurance reasons and i was wondering would the clutch and engine block be able to handle an increase of around 30-40bhp by moding.

Would really appreciate an experienced drivers advice.

Thanks

See here

Whatever about the bhp, it'd be the torque that would kill the clutch depending on how high its turned up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

if you must have a 150bhp VW... why wouldnt you just buy a mk4 golf gti?

it'd most likely be :
    cheaper to purchase
    cheaper to tax
    cheaper to maintain

most likely quicker
    equally as good tuning potential
    probably cheaper than the boraing to insure
    i think you'l still get a 6 speed box
    people won't think you're a silly billy tearing around in a modified tractor.

play your cards right and the only downside will be slighly lesser fuel comsumption but you'l be laughing all the way to the bank with the savings made from the bits in bold above, provided you dont do massive mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bobbymac420

hi i agree with you for the cheaper to maintain but as it goes you can generally can get golf's and boras in a similiar price range. For a gti 2.0 the tax is the same as a bora. Insurance is also cheaper on a bora because im starting with 115bhp and working up not starting with 150! Any bora with a bhp of 110 or more has a 6 speed. Not looking to get the fastest car but just a bit faster than your average golf and ablility to keep up with the gti

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

hi i agree with you for the cheaper to maintain but as it goes you can generally can get golf's and boras in a similiar price range. For a gti 2.0 the tax is the same as a bora. Insurance is also cheaper on a bora because im starting with 115bhp and working up not starting with 150! Any bora with a bhp of 110 or more has a 6 speed. Not looking to get the fastest car but just a bit faster than your average golf and ablility to keep up with the gti

you can get diesel golfs and boras in the same price range but the petrols will surely be cheaper as they are far less desirable.

insurance id imagine would be cheaper on the gti because they are generally owned by a more mature audience that a mk4 tdi at this stage.

the tax on the 1.8 turbo golf gti would be less than the tdi and imo the turbo is the one to buy, not the 2.0 n/a.

most things would be faster than the average tdi 90-110-130 whatever... and the 150bhp turbo petrol would definitely school the 150 mapped diesel i'd say.

rant over anyway :) maybe disreagrd my opinions. just not a tdi fan, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

The mk4 GTI is 1.8T at least the better one is.(there was a 2.0 n/a one also)

I'd rather a 1.8T Bora,better looking,petrol and more of a sleeper.

AS for mapping a TDI Bora,there should be no issues if the car is well maintained and the map is done right by a competent tuner like Joe Power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Good luck on getting the insurance on the "modded" Bora... You'd be much better off getting the GTI and having it standard for insurance reasons.

I love the guys that drive their diesel Bora/Golfs and think they're in some way fast, they're generally shown up without even having to drive in any way out of the ordinary for a turbo petrol motor, let alone even reaching the speed limit. Back in your box, boo crowd! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

dar83 wrote: »
    I love the guys that drive their diesel Bora/Golfs and think they're in some way fast, they're generally shown up without even having to drive in any way out of the ordinary for a turbo petrol motor, let alone even reaching the speed limit. Back in your box, boo crowd! :pac:

Mod Warning

Not Helpful. I don't want this thread turning into Daftness....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A TDI is usualy driven by a person for the "miles per gallon" reason.

To the OP...a remap and adding 25-30 bhp wont affect it in any bad way...you will still get very good mpg and get a nice bit of oomph and torque to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

paddy147 wrote: »
    A TDI is usualy driven by a person for the "miles per gallon" reason.

To the OP...a remap and adding 25-30 bhp wont affect it in any bad way...you will still get very good mpg and get a nice bit of oomph and torque to boot.

The torque is something you just don't get enough of with the GTI. So if you've got 2/3 passengers with you, the petrol is going to feel dead in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Dead in the water is a bit of an exaggeration i think,the turbo petrol still has plenty of torque, besides the drop in torque between the 2 is more than made up for by the much wider power band.

Anyway the OP asked for advice on mapping a TDI,the rest of us dragged it into another stupid petrol v diesel debate :)

• Advertisement

LAST MOD WARNING

ANY MORE NOT ANSWERING THE OPS QUESTION AND I WILL BE SLAPPING SOMEONE

What is it with modified car section and diesel :confused: (Answering this Rhetorical question is also a SLAP)

***POSTS DELETED***

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bobbymac420

Thanks for all the replies but there is only a 40euro difference between the 1.8petrol and the 1.9tdi in tax. Plus insurance is alot cheaper on boras because they not classed as a "young driver's car" ( ive been told be an actual insurance company). Again i dont want to have the faster car around just want it to have a nice bit of speed.

Also i was thinking about getting a 1.9tdi seat lean 110 bhp istead. And i know these are fast cars!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Thanks for all the replies but there is only a 40euro difference between the 1.8petrol and the 1.9tdi in tax. Plus insurance is alot cheaper on boras because they not classed as a "young driver's car" ( ive been told be an actual insurance company). Again i dont want to have the faster car around just want it to have a nice bit of speed.

Also i was thinking about getting a 1.9tdi seat lean 110 bhp istead. And i know these are fast cars!

Thats what my missus drives.Very reliable car indeed.

Its remapped to 135bhp (more than enough for daily driving/commuting) and it has a great amout of pull/torque through the gears from very low down the rev range.

We got over to London,drove around there sight seeing,and got back to Dublin on a single tank too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Any bora with a bhp of 110 or more has a 6 speed. Not looking to get the fastest car but just a bit faster than your average golf and ablility to keep up with the gti
    the 110 and 115bhp didn't come with a 6speed box as standard. Only the 130 and 150 bhp had 6speed as standard. A 115 will not be a patch on a gti.

The leon shares the same platform as the golf/bora and wont be any faster

Thread bump from a month ago.

** Closed **

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement