Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Usage, monthly bandwidth limits. Laughable.

• 25-02-2013 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Just having another talk with friends online, in the Teamspeak server that I'm always in.

I have to explain that I can't join in the fun because the game in question uses more bandwidth than most and I happen to be dancing around the limit we have.
    It's constantly a laughing matter for everyone else, even some fellow Irish gamers on Eircom or whatever.
    "what 3rd world country are you living in?"
    "hahaha, what year is it for your ISP?"
    "Wait until the Dark Ages end, things get better, just hang in there, the Renaissance is pretty cool"
    "At least you have internet, think of everyone else in that time you're in. They're still to evolve from bacteria. Unless you believe in a god, but there can't be a god, otherwise there would be no data limits."
    "So are these limits like a bucket at the side of the house? If it gets full, you have to wait for it to drain because there's no room for more stuff?"

We all know that data limits are a farce and a money making scheme and as much as the jokes make me laugh, they're a sad side to the situation.
    The package we're on:
    Digiweb Metro 30mb
    100gb limit.

I live in a house with a full family of 6, all using it. 100GB limit in a 30 day, rolling period, works out at approx 1.5gb per person. That's less than most mobile phone packages. 1.5gb is nothing really. Especially in 2013. Does anyone disagree with that 100GB limit? I personally think it's quite unfair. What could I do in this situation? A phone call to them? Is there a politician I can e-mail maybe? :/

We had/have an Eircom DSL line coming in. 3mb is all we can get out of it because of the wiring in the area or something. That package has no limits.
    We're waiting for that contract to end, so that's why we have it.
    DSL isn't really an option because of the wiring.

I find it funny that some ISP's can offer no limits, and others apply limits with the reason that too much heavy use takes internet off other customers. LOL
    The usage fairys work in mysterious ways.

I don't suppose anyone knows when this dinosaur of an idea will finally be extinct?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm on the same package - I complained about the limit recently after they sent me an email saying I was getting close to it. UPC and Sky now have no limits, Digiweb will have to respond to that in some way. For anyone with Netflix, Sky OnDemand or other online video service 100GB is not enough.

(they did tell me that they don't start throttling until you go over 120GB)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

loyatemu wrote: »
    I'm on the same package - I complained about the limit recently after they sent me an email saying I was getting close to it. UPC and Sky now have no limits, Digiweb will have to respond to that in some way. For anyone with Netflix, Sky OnDemand or other online video service 100GB is not enough.

(they did tell me that they don't start throttling until you go over 120GB)

Yeah but I have a bad feeling that they won't be under enough pressure :(

Yeah you don't get throttled until you go over 20% of your monthly limit, which is 120GB for us. But if you do get throttled, it won't be disabled until you're UNDER 20%, which would be 80GB. This means turning your modem/router off for a week basically.

Ridiculous, in this day and age too. A shame to see it really. Just shooting themselves in the foot in the long run anyway. Their customers might be hanging on because they don't have any better options, but the first chance they get, they will be gone and never come back.

Advertisement