Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club Week 8: Chow's Pulled Jerk Chicken

Options
2»

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Malari wrote: »
    Was the sauce not quite fatty, as all the chicken was cooked skin on?
    It didn't strike me as fatty either. I'm guessing the slow cooking and subsequent reduction basically emulsified the chicken fat into the rest of the sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It didn't strike me as fatty either. I'm guessing the slow cooking and subsequent reduction basically emulsified the chicken fat into the rest of the sauce.

Fair enough. I didn't make a sauce out of my remaining marinade and when it cooled there was a jelly-ish layer of fat on top. :-/ Maybe this is a good thing taste-wise! ;)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Chicken fat is rather tasty, and I refuse to subscribe to the myth that fat is fattening.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hear, hear. The only thing that is fattening is if you consume more calories than you burn. Everything else is just an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I think I'll use less salt next time, I made this again and it was rather salty. Any reason for the large quantity of salt in the rub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I made this today or at least a variation on it. I'm not good with really hot food so used a red chilli instead of a scotch bonnet. I'd no molasses so used half honey half soft brown sugar and used mixed herbs instead of thyme.
    It's really delicious and I'll definitely be making it again. Had it with roasted potato cubes, roasted veg salsa and coleslaw. I thickened the cooking liquid slightly and used it as a sauce.
    I've enough rub left to use next time and I've a jar of sauce in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I made this a couple of weeks ago and then forgot to post! I tried to make a sauce with the leftover marinade, it didn't reduce as much as I would have liked, but also I just added some cornflour and was too hungry to be patient. So it was a but watery and not so saucy buy still tasty. Used some jerk BBQ sauce I had on one of my rolls.

Put the leftover chicken in a bowl with the leftover marinade in the fridge overnight, was even tastier then the next day!

Thanks for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Made this today (well, yesterday, but cooked it overnight) and it was really good. I preferred it to the pork actually, I found the pork way more labour intensive and kinda vinegary at the end, and I like chicken better anyway so this worked out well. Had it with noodles and stirfried veg, gonna have it in pita bread for lunch tomorrow:) Looking forward to lunch already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I defrosted some of this during the week for lunch and can confirm that after eight-ish months in the freezer (:o) this is still very tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Bought a slow cooker just for the pulled pork recipe so definitely trying this. Can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I made this over the weekend,

I had bought the extra ingredients but forgot soy sauce and couldn't be bothered going to the shops for it.

I also used black strap molasses as that is what I had in the press, what is the difference with the molasses?

I didn't feel that there was enough sauce in the slow cooker so I put in some of a can of heineken. I think that the heineken diluted the taste.

The chicken did taste lovely but I was ecpecting more of a taste from it based on the range of ingredients in it.

I didn't reduce the sauce. I just used some barbque sauce on the rolls instead, had the chicken in pitta bread the following day,

thanks op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Hi Dónal,

I tried the recipe out the other day, it was absolutely gorgeous. I will be making it again.

I also use the rub on potatoes and roast them with olive oil. Its lovely.

Advertisement