Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penalty points:

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

Driving well below the speed limit on a busy road is just as dangerous as speeding, therefore should carry the same points

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

All this talk of points...

I'm off to the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

2 Points for anyone driving around a heavily populated area past 9pm with their "Beats" booming out of the the open windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Ok, I'll play along.

Speeding currently carries 2 points, I believe. This should be changed to an incremental system, Starting at 1 point for being 10% over the speed limit and then going up incremental by 1 additional point for every 10kph more.

Driving on the right lane on a dual carriageway when there is no traffic in the left carries no points as far as I'm aware, but should carry 1 point.

Tailgating should definitely carry points as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

phasers wrote: »
    Hitting a cyclist should be 500 points, the structure at present makes it ridiculously hard to win.
    1000 points for adults on rollerblades! :mad:

i LOVE that game! :D my friend is on like a million points, im way behind...:(

i heard you get 5000 points for hitting both a cyclist and an adult on rollerblades is that true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

1 point for having fog lights on at inappropriate times. 2 if its because you think "it looks cool"
    1 point for having a non working head light. If the excuse is that the light went while you were out that evening... It should be part of the legislation that all car owners must carry a spare head light in the car at all times. You carry a spare tyre, surely a simple oul bulb wouldn't hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

phasers wrote: »
    Hitting a cyclist should be 500 points, the structure at present makes it ridiculously hard to win.

I oppose this. As a cyclist myself, I now wish to run a lot of other cyclists over. They have no sense of awareness. Cars are usually not at fault. To all the cyclists that run red lights, I hope you are mowed down by oncoming traffic. And stick to the left of the lane you dip****s.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OSI wrote: »
    Emissions failure is often the sign of an underlying issue with the engine or exhaust system, so yes it would be a measure of road worthiness unless you expect them to strip your engine to look for faults.
    So a borked O2 sensor or clogged catalytic converter is a roadworthiness issue? You're mistakenly conflating roadworthy and road safety. How would a dodgy exhaust impact road safety and accident rates?
    This just smacks of not knowing what you're talking about.
    Irony. So you're telling me two cars of equal weight, one with wider tyres and four pot calipers is going to take the same distance to stop as a car with narrower tyres and single pots(never mind one with and one without antilock braking)? Really? Did you remain awake for any physics lessons in your schooldays?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OSI wrote: »
    It's not their job to tell you why the emissions are failing. As I said, unless you expect them to start stripping the engine, the easiest way to diagnose a likely fault is with emissions. That are plenty of reasons that cause emissions to be too high, including a lot that have no safety issues, like the one's you've listed above. But there are also plenty that do pose a safety risk, such as a oil or coolant leak, loose exhaust parts, a warped block or much more.
    I'd love you to find me a single incident where any of those caused a road accident.
    It doesn't test breaking distance, does it? No. It tests the effort of the breaks in relation to the cars weight.
    Which was my original point. Cars of similar weights already have differences in braking distance.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OldGoat wrote: »
    Enforcing the current measures would be a good start. The police don't appear to give a ratsarse about something as straight forward as pulling people over breaking the lights.
    Hire out cameras to long term unemployed let them loose to take photos on the streets. Give them a percentage of every fine collected for breaking the lights, speeding, parking offences, no tax/insurance/NCT.
    EDIT: Oh and give the right to issue parking tickets to anyone who has a disability parking permit.
    we already have traffic cameras
    in the UK they use them to issue fines for driving in Bus Lanes etc

Buses should be fitted with (more) cameras and get a % from everyone they catch using Bus Lanes.

Automatic number plate recognition means this stuff can be automated and PSV's ruled out

Have they linked the toll cameras to the tax and insurance databases yet ??

Have they used the existing cameras to do average speed ?
    (they have these in Newry)

The unemployed could be used to scout for the clampers
    /me ducks

Actually the unemployed could be used to train the "AI" of camera systems to pick up up stuff like no right turns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement