Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the upc 500GB cap really gone

• 25-02-2013 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

Was starting a thread to complain about their false advertising but all mention of their 500GB fair usage seems to be gone from the site.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they've done away with the download cap

but don't let that stop the flow of righteous indignation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

they've done away with the download cap

but don't let that stop the flow of righteous indignation

Just looking for the 500GB cap is that really gone?

Also my thread has been changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I rang them up yesterday to change my package,he told me that the usage limit isnt capped anymore...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Great, I assume this is in response to Sky's entry into the market with their unlimited package.

Isn't competition great :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

This is great but I can't imagine anyone getting the new "Limited" package. Maybe if the limit was 40GB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Why would you want a minimum speed of 50mb and only 10gb usage?

Why not offer a 10mb or 15 mb product with the cap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Morf wrote: »

That has to be a typeo, it's probably meant to be 100GB.

While it does seem like they have finally removed the cap.

Checking their site does reveal it still shows each package terms to include 'subject to acceptable usage policy'.

Searching their site reveals this

http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/280/related/1/p/5

So, while they may say it's now truly unlimited, I will only believe it when they A, remove those two things above and B, I download over 500GB a few times are don't hear no sense from them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Thor wrote: »
    While it does seem like they have finally removed the cap.

Checking their site does reveal it still shows each package terms to include 'subject to acceptable usage policy'.

Searching their site reveals this

http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/280/related/1/p/5

So, while they may say it's now truly unlimited, I will only believe it when they A, remove those two things above and B, I download over 500GB a few times are don't hear no sense from them.

That link is from October though, and hasn't been updated since. That, to me, is referring to the old 500gb limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Even more reason to be envious of UPC users :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

iMuse wrote: »
    Even more reason to be envious of UPC users :(

Agreed, but it is possible to get UPC if you live in a housing estate and if all your neighbours agree to have cables running from roof to roof.

That link is from October though, and hasn't been updated since. That, to me, is referring to the old 500gb limit.

Ah no doubt, but having that their and the terms still saying subject to AUP means they are in fact still advertising it with a limit.

However, if they truly mean it's now unlimited. We shouldn't hear from them either way.

Unless they want to lie again and sting you later on, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Thor wrote: »
    That has to be a typeo, it's probably meant to be 100GB.

It's unlimited for an extra €3 a month. See first upgrade option here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

It's hard to know what to think, this is the answer I got today from UPC...

2cfzkti.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Is there a need to remove a 500Gb cap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

cgarrad wrote: »
    Is there a need to remove a 500Gb cap?
    :eek:

Yes there is. If I sign up to an 'unlimited' service I want an unlimited service:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

i was close to being hit with the ban hammer from UPC in the last few months (Tip, Symform is great for backups, but not so much for bandwidth usage). they complained i had downloaded and uploaded 1.8Tb on just one of my connections (150mb). Think my total usage was well over 2.5Tb... Anyway, will need to ring them and find out how to remove that cap... Very interesting indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

So it's not as clear cut as it first sounded? It only applies to new contracts?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

So it's not as clear cut as it first sounded? It only applies to new contracts?

Just been on to the AUP department (checking if i was under my limits...) and she said that its new customers currently, but if i wanted to upgrade, to send her an email accepting the 12 month contract and i would be "fixed". just confirming that i wont be getting any AUP letters from now on... will keep ye lads posted...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Morf wrote: »

Marketing.

They can claim that even their slowest BB product is twice the speed of Sky/Eircom.

I see this product aimed at Sky's new 24mb 2GB cap product that costs €30.

So UPC have for €60
    - 50mb / 5mb 10GB cap BB
    - 50 channel TV

Sky have for €57
    - 24mb / 1mb 2GB cap BB
    - 38 Channel TV

Either way this is all good for the consumer.

Other changes I expect to see coming.

- Up to "24mb" becoming the norm for all DSL products from Eircom/Vodafone, no more 3mb, 8mb, etc.

- Unlimited caps for the majority of products. I expect Eircom/Vodafone/Smart to drop their caps from all but their most entry level products.

lotas wrote: »
    Just been on to the AUP department (checking if i was under my limits...) and she said that its new customers currently, but if i wanted to upgrade, to send her an email accepting the 12 month contract and i would be "fixed". just confirming that i wont be getting any AUP letters from now on... will keep ye lads posted...

Are they confirming that there will be no other change to your package or tariff other than the lifting of the CAP if you take up the new 12 month contract?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

From that IT article:

"“Because we have made the investment in the fibre-power network, we can do things that our competitors can’t,” Mr Coan said."

How about letting your customers avail of Netflix's super-high bitrate feeds which your slower competitiors already can do, Mr. Coan....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Are they confirming that there will be no other change to your package or tariff other than the lifting of the CAP if you take up the new 12 month contract?
    I notice from the website that the current price for 150Mbit/s + phone on the website is now €52 pm, whereas when I signed up late last year it was €54, so hopefully if I were to do the same I'd get a reduction of €2 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 hojphotography

I signed up only about a week and a half ago, I wonder if mine is now ****unlimited*****

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I signed up only about a week and a half ago, I wonder if mine is now ****unlimited*****

You probably signed up to the old packages (these are technically new packages) so you are limited. If you ring them up and tell them you want to switch to the new package they will swap you over and a new 12 month contract will start from the day they switch you over. At least that is how it worked with previous upgrades.

I've already queried this on the Talk to forum

AUP states The most up to date version of the User Policy will apply to
    your use of the Services.
    There should be no need to change packages to avail of the removal of the usage limit.

I contacted them (UPC) by email this morning asking if the need to agree to an upgrade and a new 12 month contract was a prerequisite to availing of the unlimited usage referred to in the Irish Times article and the informed me that it was.
    Thank you for the mail.

Yes the detail you are showing me is true and it would only be based on the new January packs upc brought out. If you want to avail of unlimited then you can , I can upgrade your pack for you today if you wish to 50,100 or 150mb January packs that way you will avail of the no usage limit, there is no extra cost for this pack but they request you agree to a further 12 month contract on this product. If you want me to set it up for you mail me back ageing to a new 12month contract and I can load it for you straight away.

Hope this helps

Regards

It's beyond me why they don't make all that clear in their initial announcement and save all the hassle associated with teasing out the minute detail? The announcement in the IT article could easily have been interpreted as it being an automatic removal of the 500GB CAP?

• Advertisement

I contacted them (UPC) by email this morning asking if the need to agree to an upgrade and a new 12 month contract was a prerequisite to availing of the unlimited usage referred to in the Irish Times article and the informed me that it was.

It's beyond me why they don't make all that clear in their initial announcement and save all the hassle associated with teasing out the minute detail? The announcement in the IT article could easily have been interpreted as it being an automatic removal of the 500GB CAP?

This is at direct odds as to what their AUP states.

Advertisement