Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the upc 500GB cap really gone

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

This is at direct odds as to what their AUP states.

I'd imagine it's a case of putting the cart before the horse? :p

They have this in place but haven't got around to updating all the relevant documentation yet?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Their AUP is brand new - well insofar as it refers to the 10GB limit for their new basic package. Of course, they might have just stuck that in.

What would make it interesting is to prove what AUP you signed up under, if they ever think of removing this clause.

Well, I suppose if you are with UPC and are happy with the service & you can avail of the new setup at no extra charge, it's no big deal really is it? I mean, a new contract isn't the end of the world if you had intended to stay with them anyway?

They are "Probably the best available anyway"?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Well, I just got off the phone with them. I was intiailly ringing up about a bill issue, but asked him about the cap being removed. He said without a doubt, that it's now gone, I asked did I have to do anything or change anything and he said no.

Now some people may thing he was misinformed or was mistaken someone.

"He said hang on 1 sec and I will confirm it for you"

Came back about a minute or two later and told me 100% that it was now unlimited and I could download as much as I want. Now that means he got the information from someone else and it's now official. You don't need to sign another 12 month contract.

So UPC need to get their **** together and announce it as such as they can't be making some sign another 12 month contract and not others.

Thor wrote: »
    Well, I just got off the phone with them. I was intiailly ringing up about a bill issue, but asked him about the cap being removed. He said without a doubt, that it's now gone, I asked did I have to do anything or change anything and he said no.

Now some people may thing he was misinformed or was mistaken someone.

"He said hang on 1 sec and I will confirm it for you"

Came back about a minute or two later and told me 100% that it was now unlimited and I could download as much as I want. Now that means he got the information from someone else and it's now official. You don't need to sign another 12 month contract.

So UPC need to get their **** together and announce it as such as they can't be making some sign another 12 month contract and not others.

There you go, why the fook don't they clarify it for once and for all?

The only problem with the Info you received Thor, is that it is word of mouth & will stand for nothing if the nitty gritty ever gets called into play?

You would nearly need to get it in writing from them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

There you go, why the fook don't they clarify it for once and for all?

The only problem with the Info you received Thor, is that it is word of mouth & will stand for nothing if the nitty gritty ever gets called into play?

You would nearly need to get it in writing from them?

My phone records all phone calls, however while that doesn't really stand for everyone else, it will back me up if they ever try to say I'm not on the unlimited package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

Right. The AUP person got back to me and has fixed my account... I am not on an unlimited package... now to figure out what to do with all this bandwidth...

Some quick calculations...

got 2 cable modems into the house, load balanced though a MikroTik router...
    100mb/s and 150mb/s giving me a max of 250mb/s.
    thats 31.25MBytes per second! (Faster than reading DVD or BluRay disks, and faster than most USB Keys!)
    thats 1.8GB per Min... (DVD image in about 2min 36 seconds)
    108GB per hour (would hit my 1Tb combined cap in just under 10 hours)
    2.5TB Per DAY
    75TB per month...

Challenge Accepted!

Right, they have just confirmed to me in writing that they will upgrade me to from 30Mbps to 50Mbps Unlimited (500GB CAP removed) & not to 100 or 150Mbps as suggested in their last correspondence posted above for €4 Approx less than I am currently paying but only on condition that I agree to a new 12 month contract.

Finally!!

21jylib.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

They also now have introduced a facility on My UPC allowing you to check your usage for the past 6 months

• Advertisement

Hmmm.... Seems my usage between October and Feburary was a "little" over what i expected it to be...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q30s4nrl7qbqff7/broadbandusage.PNG

After a bit of digging though the HTML, i found the following:

https://service.upc.ie/cckservices/myupcmyusage

It returns your usage as a JSON string, which can be parsed later... thing is, you need to be logged into the site... Wondering if we can make a widget or something that can monitor that and update something... My data has not been updated in a few days though... would prefer if it was as close to real time as possible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

bit of a balls as I only signed on 6 weeks ago and so have a 500gB limit.
    I was being nice to the poor plebs on eirocm and allowing them to use my NAS for downloading and streaming (with a 10meg upload this was higher than their download speed).
    Rings UPC to confirm if I'm eligible for unlimited and yer man says I'm on 500GB and shure that's loads..
    nope I says..330gb downloaded/uploaded and still 24 days left in the month :D
    Yer man was saying wtf? :D

ah well..you do tend to go nuts for the first month or two with broadband and then settle down.
    Coming from eircom 7meg I can't fault upc for the speeds etc..it's phenomenal and fair play to them for providing it..
    We'll always complain about something but that's human nature :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

lotas wrote: »
    After a bit of digging though the HTML, i found the following:

https://service.upc.ie/cckservices/myupcmyusage

It returns your usage as a JSON string, which can be parsed later... thing is, you need to be logged into the site... Wondering if we can make a widget or something that can monitor that and update something... My data has not been updated in a few days though... would prefer if it was as close to real time as possible...

Hmm, that JSON response has a cap variable, which appears empty for me. Does anyone else see otherwise?

Spear wrote: »
    Hmm, that JSON response has a cap variable, which appears empty for me. Does anyone else see otherwise?

My cap is empty also, but i asked to be moved to the non capped service...

My cap is empty also, but i asked to be moved to the non capped service...

The inclusion of usage data (all be it not real time) is only a recent addition is it not? I too availed of the option to renew contract in order to have the CAP removed yet my data usage section is very much populated still?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mine appears empty too. I signed up in October last year before the unlimited download was announced.

after a bit of coding, i managed to build a small C# app which logs into the UPC page, gets the cookies and pulls the JSON down. At the moment, it does nothing else (no parsing, etc) but it does display the results... the code is on BitBucket here: https://bitbucket.org/tiernano/upcbandwidthmontior

Next to try parse the file and possibly get it to send updates to you by twitter or some other way... pity its not "real time" or even every couple hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

I rang UPC regarding this cap today!!!!
    They told me that iam still on the 500gb cap!!
    I have 120mb BB ,
    They told me I could move up to the 150mb without the cap but it would cost 5euro a month!!!

I also got a letter from them today saying my bill was going up by 2euro , but that they would upgrade me for free next month to 150mb!!

I said this to the UPC guy,
    so basically if I upgraded to 150mb today it would cost me 5euro from here on , or wait till next month and get it for free!!!

they also offered me this free upgrade last june or so, but I never acted on it.... I started to get into him about the advertised "no cap" and he came back with " new customer sign up this year etc"

So not all clear regarding this!!!!

Rang and got a differant customer care rep
    And they put through the 150mb upgrade and no cap ... For no charge...

New 12month contract added though

Cramp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

It's also blank for me, and I'm on the 30Mbit plan (which doesn't exist anymore) so I'm definitely still on the 500GB cap.. I think it's just broken.

lotas: Thanks for the JSON link by the way!! Nice to have that, I might make a dashboard widget or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Its great to see the Irish ISP are finially moving with the times and are playing ball with their customers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

I haven't been within my cap for the last 3 months but UPC hasn't said anything to me about going over, hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Im on the 150mb package and I got an AUP Notice today , Id be surprised if I downloaded the total on the letter.... maybe I did , not sure...

I thought It was supposed to be unlimited ?

The add said :
    'Unlimited download allowance.
    150Mb unlimited broadband that caters for the whole family Perfect for homes where everyone is online at the same time on lots of different devices. No need to worry about download limits, this is totally unlimited.'

The fair usage policy says
    'From 25th February 2013, no limit on data transfer allowance will apply for customers of new Fibre Power Broadband
    products, except for customers of limited products with specified data transfer allowances'

I wonder if they are trying to bump me to some different plan...

@delop: did you ask to be upgraded to unlimited? I had to do it manually... Since then, i have not had any messages:

Yl0ZhTf.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

@delop: did you ask to be upgraded to unlimited? I had to do it manually... Since then, i have not had any

Hi,

What do you mean 'manually'?
    They rang me and offered me an upgrade ages ago , that how im on the 150mb pack ...

delop wrote: »
    @delop: did you ask to be upgraded to unlimited? I had to do it manually... Since then, i have not had any messages:

Hi,

What do you mean 'manually'?
    They rang me and offered me an upgrade ages ago , that how im on the 150mb pack ...

I had to ring them, tell them i wanted to be on the unlimited pack and sign up for a new contract... i was already on 150, so i dident get an "upgrade" in speed... ring them tomorrow and ask... or email the AUP department... should have their address on the letter they sent...

ye lotas is correct, I also had to ring to get the "unlimited"

If u got your last free speed upgrade its usually added into this... but they will add you signing up to a new contract...which would be 12 months....

cramp

• Registered Users Posts: 6 deasy852003

I just rang UPC there to find out for myself after reading this thread...

The customer care representative said I was on the 2012 150MB package which had a 500GB upload + download combined limit...

He said he could switch me over to the 2013 150MB package with no usage cap, which work out to be €2 cheaper, but I had to enter in a new 12 month contract..

As I plan on staying in the same apartment for the next 12 months anyway the new contract wasn't really an issue...

Happy days!

• Advertisement
Advertisement