Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to go back teaching after 10 years?? (2nd level)

• 25-02-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

It's been 10 years since teaching in an Irish 2nd level classroom and 20 years since qualification.
    Where can you go to get info on subjects/the curriculum/ just general info on going back to teaching after this kind of gap?

Any heads up on where to start, greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Contact the teaching council..you will need to get your qualifications verified and get registered by them first, then you just start applying for jobs (one word of warning, the TC are impossible to deal with...I have heard many many horror stories but have had no personal dealing with them)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭selfbuildache

Thanks. I'm registered. The formalities aren't the problem in that I'm qualified and still registered. But I'm so out of the loop I don't know where to go to find out about my subjects etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

www.education.ie and www.examinations.ie should have all the curriculum and syllabus details-or contact your subject associations-they're usually a good source for resources;

Also it would be advisable to contact the school book publishers and get the most recent editions of text books sent out to you to start getting prepared- although you probably have to be on a schools teachers list to get free inspection copies sent out.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Info on subjects found in very different places so might help if you said your subjects people might be able to be a bit more specific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You'll find whatever syllabus you're looking for here:

http://www.curriculumonline.ie/en/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Get the Gléasnótaí books and start reading the prós/filíocht to get up to speed on that. Then go on examinations.ie to look at the 2012 LC examination (first year of new course) to see where the marks are these days. ALso have a look at the sraith pictiúr.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭selfbuildache

Thanks so much for replies! Loads to go on there. I didn't know about those 'Gléasnótaí' so thanks Dory.
    seavill wrote: »
    Info on subjects found in very different places so might help if you said your subjects people might be able to be a bit more specific
    My subjects are Irish and English. I feel ok about the Irish but I think the English has changed completely?

Thanks again. Seems I just need to do the swotting up myself?! (There's no 'refreshers' for people like myself??)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

Thanks so much for replies! Loads to go on there. I didn't know about those 'Gléasnótaí' so thanks Dory.

My subjects are Irish and English. I feel ok about the Irish but I think the English has changed completely?

Thanks again. Seems I just need to do the swotting up myself?! (There's no 'refreshers' for people like myself??)

Before I did my H.Dip in Secondary Teaching, I did some volunteering with some homework clubs and Youthreach programmes - I was basically sitting one-on-one with a JC student helping them with their English homework or study. I found that really useful for getting to grips with the curriculum, without the added pressure of being the child's actual sole teacher (and 30-something other students too) or having to set and mark exams. Have a look on volunteer.ie for educational volunteer work, just a few weeks of working one-on-one with a kid can really get you back to basics!

Advertisement