Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

working abroad expo rds

Options
  • 25-02-2013 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi all just wondering has anyone been before or planning to go to the working abroad expo this weekend in the RDS? Its quite a distance away from me to travel to and just wondering is it worth going to? Main job of interest concrete work! Thanks for any advice! :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

dunno thinking of heading up to it myself:D

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    dunno thinking of heading up to it myself:D

You see the list of companys attending? Seems to be a good few for Calgary and Sask. Was going to go but theirs nothing their for me so not going to bouther

yea i did pity it dont say what jobs they will be bringing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ladybird23

There's a button called 'jobs list' click on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

ladybird23 wrote: »
    There's a button called 'jobs list' click on it!

It tells you whos their and what their looking for :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

I went last year and the jobs being offered were mostly for people with engineering backgrounds. If you have any sort of a trade it's worth bringing a few cv's as there are Canadian recruitment companies there (although they wanted a fee off my OH as they wanted to go down the LMO route) there were a few talks by representatives from different parts of Canada explaining why you should go to their city. Went to a New Zealand talk too just in case. In glad I went but not going this time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frankspencer

Looked at the jobs list nearly all trades but I want to get into the energy industry in Canada,I have BBS so I reckon Il take a chance and see what I find on Saturday...hopefully there might be something for me

^^^^^^
    what you want on the rigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Looked at the jobs list nearly all trades but I want to get into the energy industry in Canada,I have BBS so I reckon Il take a chance and see what I find on Saturday...hopefully there might be something for me

There were a few energy companies there last year. I'd say if you had a chat with their reps they could point u in the right direction. The canadians were very helpful, even refering us onto other stands. Different companies seemed to know each other and what they were looking for. Even though there wasn't much in my interest I got some leads on where to look once I get over.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Lmnover

Hi just wondering would we need to be there really early in the morning to get a better chance of talking to various employers ? We are around 3 hours away so need to plan it

My hubbie is a mechanic and also wondering if he needs to dress smart for interview ??

We are looking for out ticket out of here!
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Lmnover wrote: »
    Hi just wondering would we need to be there really early in the morning to get a better chance of talking to various employers ? We are around 3 hours away so need to plan it

My hubbie is a mechanic and also wondering if he needs to dress smart for interview ??

We are looking for out ticket out of here!
    Thanks
    Was told to dress smart by someone who was at these events before e.g shirt/decent pullover no trainers etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Deffo dress smart. You don't necessarily need to go suit and tie - you'd feel a bit like a trussed penguin going round the RDS in that all day I'd think. But smart trousers jumper style combo and shoes not trainers

anyone no how to get to it from Huston station??:D

Get luas to O'connell street then bus from O'connell bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I keep forgetting you arn't from round this way Ross!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea get the luas to abbey street , then walk out to O Connell street and get the number 7 bus which will drop you directly beside the RDS

Cheers mate:D:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Cheers mate:D:D

No Probs , i was thinking about going to the expo but there is nothing there for me job wise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Would this be beneficial for someone who is due to graduate in construction project management or do you think they'd look for more experienced people at these events?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

According to the job list there's a good few project managers on the list may not all be seniors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Lmnover

Hi what time I wonder would we need to be there in the morning to get in ahead of the masses and actually get chatting to people ? I heard there are people camping out but that can't b true!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

did anyone goto this today? im heading up tomorrow myself, was it busy? hoping its not as busy as it was last year

• Registered Users Posts: 5 11xdee

would their be any Health and safety roles??

http://www.workingabroad.net/exhibitions-and-events/dublin/
    Theres the link to it check the jobs and see if one suits you:D

Thanks! i Checked it out.. no H&S roles but it still could be good to go!! :)

yea i am half thinking of going was gonna go today but missed the train so reck i will hit it tomorrow:D.. wen ya hopeing to go to canada? have you a visa got?:D

not sure when to go!! just keeping my options open. no visa got!! When are you going??

Nobody goto this today? Nothing on the news about it today either. Last year it was all over the news. Hopefully that means the ques wont be as bad!

m.j.w wrote: »
    Nobody goto this today? Nothing on the news about it today either. Last year it was all over the news. Hopefully that means the ques wont be as bad!

Just as i type that its on the rte news. Doesnt look anywhere near as busy as it was last year. Happy days!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 elflass

Review of today's Expo!!!

Hey everyone, here's my account of today's expo.

My hubby and I arrived at car park 1 at 9am and it was full. Was directed to another one and there was loads of spaces.

Lines/waiting/queues
    We then walked over to the RDS, got in line behind approx 2/300 others and then a guy cme and told us all that this line was for prepaid only. Was redirected to another line as we hadn't per paid and there was approx 200 in front of us. Waited for 40 mins, got in at 10.10 and by 10.30 it was packed (but totally manageable). My advice is to get their early as hubby had to wait just 15/20 mins tops to chat to the companies he's interested in.

Btw, there was a coffee stand at each line too.

Recruitment/jobs
    There is a big jobs board there, which is worth checking out!

If you are a welder/ farm machinist or have a trade with experience; have your IEC visa; and can leave tomorrow night, then you caould prob line yourself up for a job to start on Monday!

There was nothing there for me today as I work in mar/comms, so when hubby was chatting engineering co,s , I went around and chatted those at the quieter stands. I heard one woman asking a lad if he could start a job asap in EDminton, changing oil in cars for 16$ per hour. Another woman asked me to tell every farm mechanic I know to send their cv's her way (maybe there's one among ye!). Theyre based in Saskatchewan.

There are interview rooms there and I saw some companies quickly reviewing cvs and bringing people in for interviews so be prepared!

Hubby's experience of chatting the engineering/pm co.s is that the bulk of these jobs are based in the west of Canada and the main reason they're at the expo this weekend is to hire tradespeople.

Talks/other services
    Went to a talk on how to become to migrate to Canada and it was informative. There seemed to be plenty of talks going on, on Aus and NZ too.

Was hoping to talk to companies selling phone packages/ insurance/ banks etc but couldn't find any. There is a removal co there.

Anyways that's my 2c worth!

Advertisement