Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

walking /running

• 25-02-2013 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

hi all ,ive started running/walking for the new year its going great im doin roughly 11 k 3 times a week im like a new man ,but i have a ?the soreness in my legs has gotten bit better but they still stiff and sore ,how long will it be before it gets easier on my legs ,i stretch for few mins before and after is this enough ?thanks all ..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Hooked

redhead33 wrote: »
    hi all ,ive started running/walking for the new year its going great im doin roughly 11 k 3 times a week im like a new man ,but i have a ?the soreness in my legs has gotten bit better but they still stiff and sore ,how long will it be before it gets easier on my legs ,i stretch for few mins before and after is this enough ?thanks all ..

You'd probably get better advice over in the athletics / running / triathlon section BUT here's my tuppence worth as I used to run 3 to 4 times a week before I gave it up to walk my dog twice daily (long distances) instead. I play footy 2-3 times a week too so the running fell by the wayside. Must get back into it!!!

1. If you haven't already... Get your gait and pronation tested and buy runners to suit your feet and running style. Elverys and gleeson shoes do it and I saw a voucher on living social for 9 euro -

https://m.livingsocial.com/cities/514/deals/598076

2. Look at running 'form' videos on YouTube. I used to 'heel strike' and practiced better (forefoot) techniques. Engaging your core, properly moving arms and overall form really made a difference for me.

3. I personally found using a foam roller (I made mine from waste pipe wrapped in camping bed foam) to work out the knots before and after a run VERY beneficial. Especially working on my IT band. Google it or watch some You Tube vids.

4. Don't stretch cold muscles. Warm up for 5 mins (various ways to do this) before you stretch - and then head out. Warm down afterwards and stretch again to finish. With a foam roller if you fancy using one.

Again, everyone is different but the novice me running 3k here and there... And the much less sore, faster, better runner I became, knocking out 10k quite easily (with no effect the morning after) a few times a week - was as a result of a combination of all of the above.

Get signed up for the Great Limerick Run if you haven't already!

Advertisement