Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

enforcing contract

• 26-02-2013 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

Say if I accept an offer to buy a Caravaggio painting. Following acceptance, the owner and I discover the Caravaggio is a fake but the owner seeks payment? Are the courts likely to enforce it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Say if I accept an offer to buy a Caravaggio painting. Following acceptance, the owner and I discover the Caravaggio is a fake but the owner seeks payment? Are the courts likely to enforce it?

I would say simple answer is no, if you agreed to buy original, seller agreed to sell original, the contract is now frustrated. Seller can't provide you with original.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

It depends on what is said by the vendor and what is intended by the parties. So maybe. But for such purchases caveat emptor applies so most purchasers of fine art will get it authenticated first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

It depends on what is said by the vendor and what is intended by the parties. So maybe. But for such purchases caveat emptor applies so most purchasers of fine art will get it authenticated first.

I assume in the example as both buyer and seller discover post agreement but pre paying that the painting is a fake, that it was during the authentication process.

If the seller intended to sell a fake that would bring in a whole range of other issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If you agreed to buy an unlabelled painting thinking it was carravagio and then pull out when you find out it's fake, you could be sued I suppose.... But if you were being sold a carravagio which you discovered was a fake before you bought it then run like hell :)
    If you've bought it, and it turns out to be fake , you'd probably have to prove the seller knew it was fake...
    Either way lawyers win

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Did the purchaser contract to buy a Caravaggio? if so the seller must provode a Caravaggio or be in breach of contract.

or

Did the purchaser contract to buy the painting offered to him? if so he must complete the purchase or be in breach of contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Homework alert! If only I could remember the case that deals with this situation precisely...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Jonathan Hull Fine Art v Addington!

Depends on whether they were selling that painting of a Caravaggio, whether the seller disclaimed and expertise in the area and whether the buyer was more expert than the seller.

Advertisement