Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liberty Insurance + BOI and Direct Debit

Options
  • 26-02-2013 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Okay so basically I have been with Liberty insurance for over 10 years. On Dec 14th 2012 my daughter accidently cancelled my directs through the website. I contacted them the next day to reset it up. They said that they could do it over the phone. Turns out I get a call and a guy very aggressively says that no DD was set up. I said the name and where this woman said she was from (call center). So they send another mandate. Turns out that if you have the same ref it will automatically deny the application for a DD. Since the ref number is my policy number Liberty Insurance will not change the policy number unless I cancel my account. BOI says they can do nothing either. Now Liberty keeps saying contact BOI but BOI say they can do nothing because it is a contract between BOI and Liberty not me! So now I contact Liberty and we instead put the DD on my daughters account. Since there is an outstanding debt of €30 she pays with her card and gives her name. She then gives her name again and sets up the bank account details. May I add this woman is being very hostile and sarcastic. I got a letter today even though it is dated on the 18th. It has the right account number BUT it has MY NAME!

I want to honestly cry. I want to give them my money! Why will they just not take it and be done with it. Please please help me. I don't know what to do anymore. This is the 4th month now!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Thraxen wrote: »
    Okay so basically I have been with Liberty insurance for over 10 years. On Dec 14th 2012 my daughter accidently cancelled my directs through the website. I contacted them the next day to reset it up. They said that they could do it over the phone. Turns out I get a call and a guy very aggressively says that no DD was set up. I said the name and where this woman said she was from (call center). So they send another mandate. Turns out that if you have the same ref it will automatically deny the application for a DD. Since the ref number is my policy number Liberty Insurance will not change the policy number unless I cancel my account. BOI says they can do nothing either. Now Liberty keeps saying contact BOI but BOI say they can do nothing because it is a contract between BOI and Liberty not me! So now I contact Liberty and we instead put the DD on my daughters account. Since there is an outstanding debt of €30 she pays with her card and gives her name. She then gives her name again and sets up the bank account details. May I add this woman is being very hostile and sarcastic. I got a letter today even though it is dated on the 18th. It has the right account number BUT it has MY NAME!

I want to honestly cry. I want to give them my money! Why will they just not take it and be done with it. Please please help me. I don't know what to do anymore. This is the 4th month now!!

Just move your policy elsewhere.
    Problem solved.

Honestly if you haven't changed from Liberty(formerly Quinn) you'll probably get better value elsewhere anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Thraxen

Just move your policy elsewhere.
    Problem solved.

Honestly if you haven't changed from Liberty(formerly Quinn) you'll probably get better value elsewhere anyway.

Aye tis for my mum that I am posting this but she is fearful of changing companies as she pays a low rate of €370 full comp. I was saying to check Chill? Is this a good way to go about it or should I individually check all the companies for her? I want her to get the best savings as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Corvo

Thraxen wrote: »

Mistake number one.

Just move insurer or go through a broker.

Mistake number one.

Just move insurer or go through a broker.

Why is using a broker better though?
    Btw I contacted the complaints department and a guy has dealt with my case. He removed all the negative stuff on the account which was caused by them. He admitted that yes it was their staff who had been wrong. Plus as I have names of every person I talked to they are going to deal with them. Who knows if they will do anything but March 6th is when I will find out >.<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Debit cancelled probably means policy cancelled. if the policy was cancelled due to the debit being cancelled and an installment being refused, then you would have got a letter telling you that they would formally cancel within 10 days if you did nto follow a certain procedure. Once policy is cancelled, Dept of Environment are advised as well. it is an offence to drive with out insurance. the car could be confiscated if stopped by Gardai.

Now to rectify, you must take out a fresh policy. The old policy no is of no use to you as that policy is cancelled. Phone them, take out a new policy and off you go.

if you have or had an accident with no motor policy, then you have more serious problems.

ravima wrote: »
    Debit cancelled probably means policy cancelled. if the policy was cancelled due to the debit being cancelled and an installment being refused, then you would have got a letter telling you that they would formally cancel within 10 days if you did nto follow a certain procedure. Once policy is cancelled, Dept of Environment are advised as well. it is an offence to drive with out insurance. the car could be confiscated if stopped by Gardai.

Now to rectify, you must take out a fresh policy. The old policy no is of no use to you as that policy is cancelled. Phone them, take out a new policy and off you go.

if you have or had an accident with no motor policy, then you have more serious problems.
    Okay first off how dare you even think that I would drive without a policy! My mother has been driving for over 40 years and has never once been uninsured or even un taxed. If you had READ the msg I cancelled the DIRECT DEBIT. I never cancelled the policy and actually all that happens if the DD does not get paid that month you just pay the balance by card. Now if the DD cannot be put through all together then you just pay the remainder.
    Anyway tis sorted and a new DD has been set up so you can get off your high horse and condescending mannerisms can be turned off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Cool the jets there OP. In the vast majority of cases where the DD is cancelled (for whatever reason), the policy is usually cancelled too. Ravima used the word probably and the advice to investigate and rectify such an incident was valid and in your best interest

Advertisement